computers

joop

Mar 20, 2006
Hi everyone
Is it possible to bring my computer to the dominican. I live in Spain. Thanks for your help. Caroline

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
joop said:
Hi everyone
Is it possible to bring my computer to the dominican. I live in Spain. Thanks for your help. Caroline
If you are bringing a laptop to The Dominican Republic (the DR), generally they won't try to charge you taxes. If it's a desktop, they probably will try to tax it (even though under current rules, I believe they're not supposed to).

In another thread, you had mentioned that you are planning on moving to the DR. Is a computer the only thing you are planning on bringing? What about your other household items?

joop

Mar 20, 2006
Hi Rellosk
Thanks for your reply.The answer to your question is no, i am bringing more items with me.I am new to this so forgive me for not making myself clear.What i really wanted to know was would the computer work in the Dominican Republic. Thanks for your time Caroline

PS it is not a laptop

joop

Mar 20, 2006
rellosk said:
If you are bringing a laptop to The Dominican Republic (the DR), generally they won't try to charge you taxes. If it's a desktop, they probably will try to tax it (even though under current rules, I believe they're not supposed to).

In another thread, you had mentioned that you are planning on moving to the DR. Is a computer the only thing you are planning on bringing? What about your other household items?

Hello again Rellosk
You seem to have lived in the Dominican Republic for along time i wonder if you could give me any tips for living in the Dominican Republic. Kind regards Caroline

joop

Mar 20, 2006
rellosk

Hello again Rellosk
Its me Caroline. You seem to have lived in the Dominican Republic for along time i wonder if you could give me any tips for living there. Best wishes Caroline

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
From what I understand, the only difference would be the power supply, as you use 220/240. and we have 110/120 volt.
Power supplies are cheap here. Approx. $20 US and can be changed in 5 minutes.

joop

Mar 20, 2006
Hi Rocky
Thanks for your reply.The person which i am buying from said that he can install 220v aswell as 120v do you think that this is possible.Kind regards Caroline

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
joop said:
Hi Rocky
Thanks for your reply.The person which i am buying from said that he can install 220v aswell as 120v do you think that this is possible.Kind regards Caroline
Absolutely.
In fact, it is not at all uncommon to have a power supply with a voltage switch on it. If yours already has it, then you need not worry, and if not, 20 bucks & 5 minutes.

joop

Mar 20, 2006
Hi again Rocky
You are wounderful i am glad i found you. How long have you been in the Dominican Republic. Speak to you soon Caroline

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I've been here for 15 years, and there are many members who have been here longer, and they are a veritable fountain of information.

joop

Mar 20, 2006
Hello again Rocky
Do you live in the sosua area it would be great to meet up with you and your family when we get there and even if you dont live near by we can still meet up. Kind regards Caroline

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
That's exactly where I live, right in the Sosua downtown area.
You need not worry about computer issues, as we know our way around them, and there's always somebody around who will lend a hand.

joop

Mar 20, 2006
Hello again Rocky
Question? What time is it where you are at the moment. I would just like you to know that it is 1.30am in the morning where i am, i have never stayed up so late on the computer. I have stayed up longer doing other things like dancing or a little drinking but never this how about you. Best wishes Caroline