Casa Marina Bay, Las Galeras Reviews

Tiffanyjbt

Mar 20, 2006
www.jewelrybytiffany.com
I have been searching everywhere, but I am unable to find any recent reviews of this AI. We will be staying there the last week of April and I am curious about what others have to say (good/bad/etc). Anything to look out for would be appreciated also. I am really excited about visiting (still so long to wait...) Thanks!!!

Tiffanyjbt

Mar 20, 2006
www.jewelrybytiffany.com
Maybe I'm asking the wrong question...

...or I'm just not being patient, either way, does anyone know anything about this resort and the surrounding area? Maybe my heading has confused some folks into thinking that I am posting a review an not requesting a review. Or maybe this resort is overun by vampires and everyone is really hush hush about it:eek:gre: Sorry, overactive imagination at work. Anyway, please advise...

Thanks so much!!!

Tiff

Tiffanyjbt

Mar 20, 2006
www.jewelrybytiffany.com

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I've stayed here twice, and it's one of the most beautiful resorts I've ever been to. I haven't been there since about 2000, so hopefully, it hasn't changed. It is so very beautifully landscaped. The food is superior for an AI. The only downside was the entertainment, it was a little disappointing. Also, a few too many Europeans for my liking, but that's only my opinion. Overall, I'd give it a 9/10. It is called now called the AMHSA Marina Bay, I believe.

Tiffanyjbt

Mar 20, 2006
www.jewelrybytiffany.com
Thanks Trina, Maybe the name is why i'm not finding anything (like Tamborista mentioned) I'll try searching for that. I'm not to big on the resort entertainment (like to wander) but I am multilingual, so the foreign thing shouldn't bother me too much. I've read similar things on trip advisor. Thanks again!

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Wandered through it in February. Looked very clean and nice. Went to washroom just off of the dining room -- looked clean and smelled good (washroom and dining room). Some (few) obviously older, single-storey buildings looked like the original hotel before it became a bigger AI. Walked their beach a few times -- that looked fine too. Spoke to guests who were quite happy with the place. Handy walking access along beach to Las Galeras -- five to ten minutes depending on where your room is.

xiv

Mar 29, 2004

Tiffanyjbt

Mar 20, 2006
www.jewelrybytiffany.com
Thanks!

I look forward to seeing your pictures. I've only seen a few pics of the bungalow. I read your review. This seems to me like one of those places that really is what you make of it.

Know of any good restaurants in the area? The buffet at the resort has not recieved good reviews over all. Is it worth it to rent a car to go into Santa Barbara de Samana and Las Terrenas?

I'm counting down the days til takeoff. I'm even looking forward to the 4 hour drive from the airport!

xiv

Mar 29, 2004
The photos of the bungalow are online

The pictures seem to be online. Go back to the review and click on 'View candid traveler photos' on top of the page next to the picture of the little boat.

You are right. It is a beautiful place, and if your holiday will be for sure what you make of it.

About the food. People exagerate. I found the food to be really OK. I never expected to eat like in a four star restaurant. It is just a simple buffet, but it is not bad at all. We never went to eat anywhere else (except during our excursion), so i cannot really help you with other restaurants.

I went to visit Samana city and it was nice but not too exciting though. I guess we just wanted to get out of the AI for a day :)

Enjoy your stay...

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
"Know of any good restaurants in the area?"

There are two nice enough restaurants at the cross roads. Various others a bit further. Also La Ranchetta which is close to haute cusine at a very reasonable price, just around the corner -- short drive -- from the resort hotel. Francois and Isabel(?). Reservations needed. Posters in the resort.

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
I have never stayed there, but I have friends who work there. From what they tell me, they get lots of Italians and Germans, a few French, but few American or Canadians.

I once met a couple of Italians in a guagua who stopped there. They seemed very well mannered and treated the local driver well. He seemes to know them; they might be regulars in the area each year.

I know this is not exactly what you asked for, but ... just two cents.

If you stay there, you must "get of the res" at some point and visit Playa Rincon as well as Salta de Limon and go whale-watching with Kim Bedall in Samana.

Have fun & let us know how it goes,
Sam

Tiffanyjbt

Mar 20, 2006
www.jewelrybytiffany.com
You aren't the first to say that there are a large amount of europeans that travel to that resort. Not a big deal though, as my boyfriend and I don't plan on being confined to the resort. We like getting out as much as possible, but we also like the perks and security that come with the all inclusives (not that smaller resorts don't have benifits because we have enjoyed more than a few in other areas, but thats not what we're looking for right now.) We do plan on going horseback riding to Playa Rincon and El Limon and possibly making a day trip to Samana and Las Terrenas (we may rent a car) Unfortunately, we have missed the whale watching season, as we will be there in a few weeks (last week of April). Any other, less popular but still worthy, excursions you know of would be greatly appreciated also. We've done our homework and hope to get the best out of the accomodations offered, but we are very much interested in the culture (between him and myself, we span quite a few cultures anyway). Thats why I wanted the personal experiences from the posters here. Somehow its less sterile and forced than most of the other places that I have looked for reviews (Thanks DR1!) Anyway, I appreciate your two cents and I look forward to visiting. Its cold here in Chicago!!!

xiv

Mar 29, 2004
Enjoy your trip. Please post a review of your trip on tripadvisor when you come back. I am curious to hear about your experience.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
We were there last weekend. The location is beautiful, getting there was fun, we flew from La Isabela to El Portillo in a six seater plane, and then drove from there via Sanchez and Samana, so we got good views from the roads and from the air - amazing country.

The place was full of French and German visitors of all ages, all of whom seemed to be locked in some mortal competition to see who could smoke, drink and eat (or abandon half-eaten) the most. One of the problems with this kind of AI resort with tenedor libre eateries is the revolting exhibition of pure gluttony on view ad nauseam in the restaurants and the resultant nauseam clearly evident (both visual and odiferous) on the paths, in the palms and gardens leading to and from the restaurants. Even in the two "a la carte" restaurants only the main courses are "a la carte", the primi and postres being every man for himself. But I digress into personal pet hates rather than a review of the facilities.

Rooms are nicely furnished and equipped, spacious and airy, although the older buildings have a rather institutional 1950's look about them and could benefit IMHO from a little exterior decorating. Bungalows are nice too, but we needed separate rooms for our teenage population so we didn't take the option of the monospace bungalow with junior beds in the semi-loft.

The grounds are very well groomed and everything seems to blend together without jarring. Lots of wild life roaming free, ducks and geese, mares and foals, two adult and one young iguanae rhinoceri, and a couple of ponds full of fish, turtles other aquatic residents, but amazingly, no irritating insects at all.

The beach is...........well, just let me say that early in the morning long before the first bathers were up I half-expected to find Tom Hanks sitting under a palm tree rubbing two sticks together to make fire. The beach and the bay look exactly like something out of Robinson Crusoe, the only problem is dodging the occasional coconut falling out of the trees. At the eastern end of the bay there are some nice craggy coves with a couple of caves and a few hidden blow holes which shoot up air and water as waves rush into underwater caves. Can give you a nasty surprise that, as happened to a German lady who was expecting no more than a gentle breeze-up so that her companion could video his own version of that classic Marilyn Monroe take (where she stands over the subway grating and shows off her knickers) and then she got the full force of a mini-tsunami waterspout upskirt........and treated us all to some very colourful and high pitched teutonic colloquiallisms!

Free pools, entertainments, sports, biking, etc., but beware the horse riding and quads are 10 Euros an hour, and the watersports are also extras to be paid for, not in the AI package - although I heard that they were reasonable value for money.

Public areas,facilities and bathrooms were all clean and tidy, with the possible exception of the above-mentioned nauseam around mealtimes. Staff were friendly and reasonably efficient although we felt that they could do with some numerical reinforcements particularly in the restaurants.

All in all, not too bad if you like that sort of thing, and I understand that at this time of the year (officially low season) there are some good deals to be had especially during the week and at a reasonable price we found it was pretty good value for our money.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Good review. Will you go back to the area in a more independant way next year? (Driving from El Portillo airport to Las Galeras would have been easier via El Limon and Samana rather than Sanchez -- Samana.)

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Still kmore to see up there

Me_again said:
Good review. Will you go back to the area in a more independant way next year? (Driving from El Portillo airport to Las Galeras would have been easier via El Limon and Samana rather than Sanchez -- Samana.)

Yes indeed, we'd probably go back up there sooner or later, possibly to one of the small but goodlooking hotels we noticed.

Actually, I didn't mention it in the OP, but we did drive back to El Portillo by way of El Limon which was, as you say, a shorter route and no less scenic too. Unfortuantely we didn't have the time to stop off at the Saltos El Limon (waterfalls) but we'll certainly do that next time around. For the time being we're still heavily under the influence of the Iguazu Falls in the Zona Tres Fronteras of Argentina/Brazil/Paraguay so, as anyone who has seen them will confirm, anything you see in the way of waterfalls after that is something of an anti-climax (no offence meant, but that's how it is).

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is a very good Italian restaurant just down from the beach where Club Bonito in Las Galeras. It is run by Alberto from Florence, Italy. That is also the name of the restaurant. The food is great and the price will be much less than the other restaurants around there. One thing you need to know, a lot of the places on this same street are rip offs. They will charge you 250RD for scotch and then add 26% on top which will come out to $10 US for a drink. In the Italian restaurant I mentioned I had a bottle of nice red wine for 350RD.

Alberto Ristorante Italiano 809-538-0110 They are closed Wed.