MAPS of DR

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
The best maps of the Dominican Republic I've seen are from Mapas Gaar, personally I like them better than Berndtson & Berndtson. But nothing online, only on paper.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Mapas Gaar has a range of maps, some of which are very detailed but I think one of the best maps still has to be Hildebrands, a German company. The map is for Hispaniola in its entirety. My copy is about ten years old and is still superior to the current selection available. Probably they have an updated version.

gagilmer

Jul 12, 2005
Dr Map

I recommend a "Rough Guide" DR map that I purchased last year off of Amazon. Nice fold-out waterproof roadmap. Good scale and fairly detailed.

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Observation from the Frontier !

Define " detailed ".

Mine are 1:50000 topos of the " whole " country in some 50+ connecting grids.

Very interesting set of maps seeing they were produced from over flights by airplanes. The trails have become 4wd roads in some cases, but then there are other trails which have lead to some very interesting sites in the Barahrucos.

If this is your definition, let me know. We can discuss access.

If not, I personally like the Hildebrand map but believe it is out of production. Or at least Barnes & Noble were unable to get me another copy on my last visit to Destin to see mi madre for the Holidays last year.

kFrancisco de Cabral

gagilmer

Jul 12, 2005
As I said "fairly"

1:450000 published 2003. Seems to be better than most for a general map. I would hope no one would base a cross-country trip solely on this, or any other map. As far as most available, however, this one is "fairly" detailed and decent.

G

gary short

qgrande said:
The best maps of the Dominican Republic I've seen are from Mapas Gaar, personally I like them better than Berndtson & Berndtson. But nothing online, only on paper.
That's what I use and I find it fairly accurate. However it would be nice if it was overlayed on an accurate topo.

G

gary short

kfrancis. I'm very interested in your topos. Please inform me about your carto source. Regards.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
gary short said:
kfrancis. I'm very interested in your topos. Please inform me about your carto source. Regards.

INSTITUTO CARTOGR?FICO MILITAR

Av. Enrique Jim?nez Moya Esq. Juan de Dios Ventura Sim?,
Centro de Los H?roes,
Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional,
Rep?blica Dominicana.
Tel?fonos: Central Telef?nica: (809) 508-3311.
(809) 534-7522
Fax(809) 534-7276

Relevant info (fees, request procedures...):

http://www.infocompu.com/CGI-BIN/ServiDeta.asp?UNICO=951

-

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Thanks Mirador,

Figured you, if anyone, would know of a possible local source of these type maps. Not sure the folks I got mine from in the US are still in business.

kFrancis