North Coast Is Doing Great

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I go to Sosua about once a month, but I stay around the condo and am busy with family stuff most of the time. Last Saturday I met my builder at a project he is doing slightly east of Cabarete, where I had not been for quite a while. The amount of building going on around there is astounding. And not just there - houses and condominium complexes are going up all over the place, and they are selling out fast. Every where you turn Century 21 is building another condo complex, then there's the golf community going up accross from Sea Horse and god knows what else. And that's only in my small area.

When you're up in New York and reading only the negative news you get the wrong impression. I might not live to see it, but 20 years from now you'll hardly recognize the stretch between Sosua and Cabarete. I think it's just beginning and it can't miss. - D

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Danny W said:
I might not live to see it, but 20 years from now you'll hardly recognize the stretch between Sosua and Cabarete. I think it's just beginning and it can't miss. - D
Don't worry, you will not be alone. My estimate would be that 95% of expat home owners in that area will be dead by that time.
AZB

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Sosua & Cabatete vs. Puerto Plata

I agree with this post. There's a tremendous amount of new, expensive residential construction going on in Cabarete & Sosua; most of them appear to be selling?
* In Puerto Plata? 2 huge, by local standards, shopping centers, but very little new, upscale residential construction, excluding Playa Cofresi.
* Why? Comments. Explanations. Opinions, hopefully knowledgable. The 3 communicites appear very similar in characteristics & location. Accurate conslusions or opinions? Why do only 2 appear to be booming?
* Another questions: why have cruise ships abandoned Puerto Plata, but are stopping regularly in Samana? Thank you.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Tourism isn't the whole picture. I would not think that Puerto Plata is a great tourist destination. There are more beautiful beaches on other parts of the island. But there is a rapidly growing number of homeowners on the north coast with alot of money to spend. - D

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Why the North Coast?

Semi-guess work, but Cabarete's reputation as a relatively healthy destination has had quite a long time to percolate among North Americans. Since some of the money that has landed on the North Coast is "young" money, this has helped. Purely a lifestyle choice.

However, because adventurous older folks enjoy being around lively, healthy places as an anti-aging tonic (seriously) they too have come.

The obvious factors like proximity to NY, ease of communication, an increasing awareness of how nice the Dominican people are, and the cost factor all weigh in.

Do not underestimate the power of Major League baseball's huge number of Dominicans to help raise awareness of the country.

Finally, the very real fact that celebs are coming to the DR (albeit Punta Cana) in increasing numbers and we all know how much North Americans watch what celebs do, should not be discounted either.

Let's hope it all has a happy ending.