General Info. about the Dominican Republic Culture

ssasy

Mar 5, 2006
Hello,

I have to do a research paper for my English class and I selected the topic of the Dominican Culture. Now, my question is: does anyone knows where can I find this type of information? I need to use reliable sources because my citations are going to be revised by the teacher. Also I would like to know if I can find a book in English about the Dominican Republic history.

Thanks in advance.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004

ssasy

Mar 5, 2006
Thanks for the welcoming Daydream. ( sorry I did not introduce myself)
The .gov site can be useful but I'm not sure about the others. My teacher made a lot on enfasis on using books, magazines and newspapers as a source of information rather than websites. Since this is very broad topic, I will have to focus on something more specific but I have not decided yet.
If someone could suggest me books about the Dominican history and culture, I would really appreciate it.
Why did I pick this topic?
* I am Dominican.
* The majority of my classmates don't even know where DR is located, and others didn't even know it existed.
* Most of the essays I have written in this class are somehow related to the DR ( this is because I've oly been living in USA for the past three years), my teacher seems to be interested on learning more about my country and he even suggested me to write about it.

Thank you very much for answering my thread.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We've had some threads here like this one from a few years back about good Dominican books or books about Dominican subjects - try searching and dig more up.

The Dominican Cooking site has lots of information about Dominican food culture as well as the recipe collection, if you're interested in that aspect.

playagirl

Feb 8, 2006
I recently did two reports for school about the DR, one on the energy crisis and the other in international trade. If you tell me exactly what is your subject i will be able to give you some websites that are very good as well as to some searching techniques. I usually don't use books for my project and the professor are find with it.
There is trememdous amount of info. on the internet about the DR, but you have to lknow what you want to write about before you do the research.

Also, where do you go to school that the student don't know that DR existed, that seems kind of odd?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If you go to a bookstore or maybe a library and look at some of the travel books. For example: Dominican Republic & Haiti by Scott Doggett and Joyce Connolly, published by Lonely Planet ISBN 1-74059-026-0 , Dominican Republic Handbook by Gaylord Dold ISBN 1-56691-090-0, or many others you will get all the information you require for your project.

ssasy

Mar 5, 2006
Thank you all for your help. I did find some books surfing through amazon that appear to be very interesting. My concern was that my college library didn't have them. but I spoke to one the reference librarians and she told me that I could do an interlibrary loan or within the VA community college system so I just have to wait for the books to arrive.
If any one is interested in some of the titles just let me know.