Urgent help please!! Leaving Thu. must get from SD to La Romana

pichichi

Mar 22, 2006
Hello

I'm heading to DR for the first time early Thursday and will be in Santo Domingo. I have a few hours in the city before I must head to La Romana in the late afternoon/early evening. I have tried to find information on how to get there but have been unsuccessful (even the DR tourist office could not help me).

I'd be grateful if anyone of you experienced DR travelers could help get me from A to B. Bus service would be ideal, if you know of one or can point me in the right direction.

Gracias!

P

yaidani

Feb 23, 2005
You can easily catch a guagua/bus from any point on autopista Duarte. Actually, these busses originate from inside Santo Domingo. The cost is in the neighborhood of $100 RD pesos. I do not know Santo Domingo proper well enough to tell you where exactly the route is inside the city, but that would be easy enough to find out. The Busses will most likely indicate that they are going to Higuey, some of them will say La Romana. Either way, they will stop in La Romana.

If you catch a taxi, you will be less stressed. The cost to take a taxi from the airport to La Romana is $70. So to take a taxi from Santo Domingo to La Romana you can expect to pay probably $80.

gardito

Jan 15, 2004
If you're driving just head on east on Autopista Las Americas. You'll go by the airport, Boca Chica, San Pedro de Macoris (where the highway ends), and follow the signs to La Romana. About 1 1/2 hours ride (but then again I was speeding, lol).

E.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
yaidani said:
You can easily catch a guagua/bus from any point on autopista Duarte. Actually, these busses originate from inside Santo Domingo. The cost is in the neighborhood of $100 RD pesos. I do not know Santo Domingo proper well enough to tell you where exactly the route is inside the city, but that would be easy enough to find out. The Busses will most likely indicate that they are going to Higuey, some of them will say La Romana. Either way, they will stop in La Romana.

If you catch a taxi, you will be less stressed. The cost to take a taxi from the airport to La Romana is $70. So to take a taxi from Santo Domingo to La Romana you can expect to pay probably $80.

You can catch the buses at Parque Enriquillo on "Avenida" Duarte in the heart of the shopping district. Look for the Plaza Lama store, the park and bus terminal is nearby. Note: Avoid the area after dark.

Regards,
PJT

pichichi

Mar 22, 2006
thanks to all of you for responding.

i assume the taxi you referred to costs around $80 US? that sounds like it will stress me out!!

as far as the busses, how close is the plaza lama store and the shopping district to the colonial center? can i walk? more importantly, how often to the busses leave? where do i buy a ticket?

thanks again!!

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I wouldn't advise taking a gua gua all the way to La Romana for a newbie. His first time there, we don't know if he speaks spanish and he'll have to transfer a couple of times since there are no direct gua gua to La Romana and it will take over 2 hours. Plus he might have bags to carry. I would advise taxi or if Caribe Tours service that area.

pichichi

Mar 22, 2006
i will not have bags and i don't speak much spanish. there is no regular bus service from santo domingo? (it doesn't appear caribe tours serves la romana). i will be in the city center and need to find public transportation, of any kind, to la romana. please help!!

gardito

Jan 15, 2004
What's in LRM that's so important other than Casa de Campo ? If it's that urgent, rent a car. It'll cost cheaper than a taxi and get you there on your own time. Plus you have it for 24 hours.

E.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
pichichi said:
i will not have bags and i don't speak much spanish. there is no regular bus service from santo domingo? (it doesn't appear caribe tours serves la romana). i will be in the city center and need to find public transportation, of any kind, to la romana. please help!!
Oh well I guess Gua Gua will be your mode of travel, catch the bus where pjt posted and take these points of advice, learn how ask for directions in spanish, keep the carribean ocean allways to your right, keep going eastward, relax and enjoy your adventure, try to do this at least two or three hours before it gets dark.

Buen Suerte

pichichi

Mar 22, 2006
is a gua gua a scheduled bus, or do they just short of show up? is there a scheduled bus service from ave. duarte? how do you know which bus at enruiquillo goes to la romana? how often do they leave? where do you buy tickets?

thanks again.

by the way, i am an experienced traveler, been to a lot of different places. tomorrow i'll be short on time and short on money, so, no rental car, etc. need a bus from santo domingo to la romana. that's all.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
There is bus service from SD to La Romana, it's just not with Caribe Tours or Metro, the 2 largest companies. If I recall from past discussions, the Company is Bavaro Express, which goes all the way to (duh!) Bavaro! Keep in mind that if your flight is into Las Americas, for your "few hours in the city" you will be going quite a ways in the other direction from La Romana, and the only convenient way is a $30 cab ride.

Since you said you have no bags, you could catch a guagua near the airport on the Autopista De Las Americas, and just head straight to La Romana. It doesn't take great Spanish skills to say "La Romana?" (with the question mark in your voice and on your face). You really couldn't do much in the Capital in a few hours anyway.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
pichichi said:
is a gua gua a scheduled bus, or do they just short of show up? is there a scheduled bus service from ave. duarte? how do you know which bus at enruiquillo goes to la romana? how often do they leave? where do you buy tickets?

thanks again.

by the way, i am an experienced traveler, been to a lot of different places. tomorrow i'll be short on time and short on money, so, no rental car, etc. need a bus from santo domingo to la romana. that's all.
They just show up and stop frequently on their routes too pick up and discharge passengers. They will have signs in the windows with their final destination on it, so you will have to ask when you get there and most likely transfer at the mini depots they have set on your journey east. As long as you are going east my friend you'll get there, you pay on the bus, so make sure you have change in pesos.

Y tambien, hay es no banos en la gua gua, so don't drink too much before your 2 to 3 hour journey.
Please post your trip report on your way back.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
pichichi said:
thanks to all of you for responding.

i assume the taxi you referred to costs around $80 US? that sounds like it will stress me out!!

as far as the busses, how close is the plaza lama store and the shopping district to the colonial center? can i walk? more importantly, how often to the busses leave? where do i buy a ticket?

thanks again!!

Plaza Lama - Parque Enriquillo is to the north of the Colonial Zone, just above Av Mexico. It is walkable from the zone. However; walking in the heat and lack of knowledge of the area and personal security would make it wise to hire a taxi to get you to the bus departure area. The ticket office if I remember correctly is on the south side of the park. The buses leave hourly, request an express.

Regards,
PJT