Residency

Dylan

Mar 22, 2006
First Post, so please be kind. I am thinking of moving to the DR (You've heard this before). I have a couple initial questions:

1. In order to purchase a car in the DR and get a license; do I need to be a resident?
2. If I become a resident, do I have to give up my residency status in the United States?
3. In terms to the ex-pat community, my wife is a little concerned that she would be out of place....is there a large ex-pat community (English speaking) so that it could be conceivable for her to make friends with other ex-pats?
4. If I wanted to work in the DR and start a business, would I need a Visa or could I just come down and put out a shingle

That's all for now....

Thank You

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
1. NO & Yes
2. NO
3. Yes
4. No, but you would like to have residency.

What's a shingle?

Bienvenido

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Dylan said:
First Post, so please be kind. I am thinking of moving to the DR (You've heard this before). I have a couple initial questions:

1. In order to purchase a car in the DR and get a license; do I need to be a resident?
2. If I become a resident, do I have to give up my residency status in the United States?
3. In terms to the ex-pat community, my wife is a little concerned that she would be out of place....is there a large ex-pat community (English speaking) so that it could be conceivable for her to make friends with other ex-pats?
4. If I wanted to work in the DR and start a business, would I need a Visa or could I just come down and put out a shingle

That's all for now....

Thank You
  1. Yes, at least to get a license.
  2. No
  3. Depends on where you live.
  4. Depends on what you mean by hanging out a shingle. If you are a professional you may need to be licensed. If you are opening a business, a non-Dominican can form a corporation (with certain requirements for Dominican directors).

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Dylan said:
Assuming you are a US citizen (not just a resident), you would not give up your citizenship, even if you become a Dominican citizen. Regarding giving up your US residency, I'm guessing that in order to get the $80,000 income exclusion break on US taxes, you need to prove that you are not a US resident, ipso facto giving up your US residency.

MarkusL1

May 3, 2004
US Resident living outside of US

If you are a resident alien in the US and acquire residency in another country or spend more time outside the US than inside than better be careful with you resident alien status. US immigration revokes green cards on a daily basis once they found out that somebody spends more than 180 days outside the US.
Keep in mind that the US now tracks all days you spent inside and outside the US and it would be very easy for them to find out if you actually live outside the US. It might be a good idea to check on acquiring US citizen ship before moving to the island. But that could have serious tax consequences for the rest of your life, since US citizen always have to file taxes in the US, regardless of their place of residency.