Old autopista Duarte

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
I was just wanting to know if the old autopista duarte is still intact and accessable. I mean the one that ran right through La Vega and Bonao. It ran to the west of Villa Altagracia. Can you still get from Santiago to SD on it?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
stewart said:
Anyone out there have an answer???
I have a question, why would anyone choose to use the old highway when the relatively new one is much better?

To answer your question, part of the old highway still exist, but much of it has been replaced by the newer (well, it's not that new anymore) autopista which runs along the same trayectory as the old carretera.

-NALs

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You have to turn off the highway at Villa Altagracia, Bonao and La Vega to drive through the cities. The autopista bypasses them.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Why would I use the old one? Nostalgia.

NALs said:
I have a question, why would anyone choose to use the old highway when the relatively new one is much better?

To answer your question, part of the old highway still exist, but much of it has been replaced by the newer (well, it's not that new anymore) autopista which runs along the same trayectory as the old carretera.

-NALs

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
FYI: The only one that might be nostalgis is the one through Bonao.
You have to turn off at the Shell Station-> to the right and follow that road to the narrow bridge, through town, then turn left to get back to the highway.

As I recall, the old road was tree lined into town. Lots of nice old homes lined it.

In La Vega, (these directions are if you are heading South) you would take the turn off for jarabacoa and continue along that road until it comes out on the other side of town. The only nice part would be the flamboyan trees lining the last part.

From Santiago, you take Duarte Avenue East to Moca, reach the Fort, turn right, follow your nose to La Vega by the old highway. You go through CUTUP?...past Old La Vega and come out at the autopista just west of La Vega.

Same sort of deal at Villa Altagracia. Bear right as you approach the town, go through it and you come out at what is called the Curve of Death on the South side of town..

Not much sense, but might be interesting for some..

HB :D:D:D

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
All this sorta reminds me of trying to find the Via Apia from Rome to Brindisi. A lot of detours and rough spots intermingled with modernity.

Oh Well, Nostalgia can be wonderful when you have the time and imagination.

Texas Bill

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Thanks for the info.

The last time I was in DR, we took the Tours Espinal from Santiago to SD. I was really disappointed when we went past Bonao. I used to be able to see one of the houses I lived in from the road. I can't anymore. It's strange that as the years pass, certainmemories stand out and seem more important. That old highway going through those old towns brings back lot's of great memories.
Nostalgia.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
stewart said:
The last time I was in DR, we took the Tours Espinal from Santiago to SD. I was really disappointed when we went past Bonao. I used to be able to see one of the houses I lived in from the road. I can't anymore. It's strange that as the years pass, certainmemories stand out and seem more important. That old highway going through those old towns brings back lot's of great memories.
Nostalgia.
The DR is a country of rapid changes, particularly post-Trujillo era.

Somethings are better, other things are worst, but what is always constant is the constant change.

Change is the substance of what life is made of.

What's the difference between 2006 and 1906? People are still made of the same flesh and bone material, we still think with our brains, we still talk to each other, we still yearn for the same necessities and wants as our forefathers did in 1906. So what has changed?

The air is still the same, the sun is still the same, the trees have grown but they are still the same, the rivers are still the same, the mountains are still the same. What has changed?

It appears the more things change, the more they remain the same. So what exactly has changed between 1906 and 2006? The year itself is just a number, not indicative that change needed to occur, although it did.

What has changed?

Change is not from the outside affecting us, change comes from within.

I don't see the world the same way I used to, despite the fact that I still see the world through the same pair of eyes.

What has changed? I have changed, my generation has changed, my people have changed.

The thing is this:

When you change the way you look at things, the thing you look at change.

The bold sentence are powerful words from Dr. Wayne Dyer, author of "The Power of Intention".

-NALs:glasses:

Last edited: