Hurricane Insurance

PCDave

Nov 11, 2004
Can anyone suggest people or companies providing hurricane insurance in the Bavaro or Punta Cana area. Also, is it possible to insure only 1 out of several condo's as some people will not pay?

I did a quick search on DR1 but was unable to find this. Thanks in advance!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I don't know if you can insure something that technically doesn't belong to you. Items like the roof, outter walls, etc are common elements that are owned and maintained by the Association. They certainly should have proper insurance coverage, which should be in the By-Laws. You usually can get a condo policy that will cover damage within the unit.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You can get contents insurance, but you will need to talk with an insurance agent about insuring your individual apartment.

Does your condo have an association and bylaws? If so, check the bylaws for an Article on insurance. Article 11 of the Condominium Law #5038 of 1958 says that "All unit owners are obligated to contribute to the payment of group insurance on the risks threatening the building or the unit owners as a whole, whenever so decided by the condominium association or by the bylaws.

If it is not in the bylaws, but you have an association and a majority agree that there should be insurance on the structure, then all owners will be obligated to pay their share.

This thread should either be moved to the Legal section by the moderator, or you should repost your question there in order to get an informed answer from an attorney who is an expert on condominium law.

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
just read in dr1 today that lloyds of london will be opening santo domingo office soon.

Jan 5, 2006
HOWMAR said:
You do realize that Lloyd's of London is not the icon of insurance they were years ago. They have barely kept out of bankruptcy the past years, they are a shadow of their former self.
http://www.time.com/time/europe/magazine/2000/221/lloyds.html

Besides, Lloyds should only be used as a last resort. Their policies are not comparable to standard policies issued other insurance companies, and usually contain exclusions and clauses not found in standard policies. The other main problem with Lloyds is their claim settling practices. They always try to weasel their way out of paying claims, and when they do pay, they take longer than what is usually considered acceptable.

Quinny

Oct 29, 2005
Can anyone suggest a good insurance company in the Sosua area? Specifically for complete home coverage and liability.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Quinny said:
Can anyone suggest a good insurance company in the Sosua area? Specifically for complete home coverage and liability.
I have used Angie Wolfe with Seguros Popular insurance - no claims so can't speak on that end but a very pleasent lady to deal with...tom

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
thanks for info on lloyds. i'm not so worried about hurricanes as i am about earthquakes, tsunamis (there was one in 1946 off northeast coast) and fire. anyone recommend a good local insurer that has a good reputation for actually paying claims?