NYC afterwork place to dance??

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I would like to take my girlfriend, Magdalena, out this Friday as it is her birthday next week. It has been a while since I have gone out dancing with her as I have been trying to get to bed early on the weekends.

Does anyone know of any places in NYC with music/dancing (bachata/meringue/salsa, etc) that has more of a Friday after work party? I used to hang out until all hours of the night/morning every weekend but in past year I have not as I try to do more during the day. I remember years ago that there was an after work party at South Street seaport (Sequoia) and one near the China Club (Jade Terrace) but do not know what is going on these days ? anyone have any ideas?

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Chris_NJ said:
I would like to take my girlfriend, Magdalena, out this Friday as it is her birthday next week. It has been a while since I have gone out dancing with her as I have been trying to get to bed early on the weekends.

Does anyone know of any places in NYC with music/dancing (bachata/meringue/salsa, etc) that has more of a Friday after work party? I used to hang out until all hours of the night/morning every weekend but in past year I have not as I try to do more during the day. I remember years ago that there was an after work party at South Street seaport (Sequoia) and one near the China Club (Jade Terrace) but do not know what is going on these days – anyone have any ideas?
SOB's is great after work with a live Salsa Band, free salsa lessons from 6-7 and they charge $15 after 8pm. It's on the corner of Houston and Varick.

Also, Sequoia don't really start till late spring or early summer and Jade Terrace is around the same time, but on Thursdays after-work.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Go to Latinclubs.com...

Tribeccas in Fort Lee is great on Fridays - 3 floors for all your dancing needs.
Dramas in Jersey City - Many options as well.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Chris_NJ said:

Does anyone know of any places in NYC with music/dancing (bachata/meringue/salsa, etc) that has more of a Friday after work party? I used to hang out until all hours of the night/morning every weekend but in past year I have not as I try to do more during the day. I remember years ago that there was an after work party at South Street seaport (Sequoia) and one near the China Club (Jade Terrace) but do not know what is going on these days – anyone have any ideas?

What about Gonzalez y Gonzalez is a restaurant that has a live band on the weekends and the dj plays merengue bachata cumbia etc., is very lively, 625 Broadway between Houston and Bleecker. or for a more club atmosphere try Copacabana onthe west side.
Enjoy

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
MAR - good one. They also have salsa lessons at G&G is very close to the Holland Tunnel.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
M.A.R. said:
or for a more club atmosphere try Copacabana onthe west side.
Enjoy
Sorry M.A.R., Copa on Friday's is Reggaeton, Hip-Hop Tiguere night, on both floors, rarely any salsa & merengue, and don't hold your breath for Bachata. Also, I believe Chris wanted after-work and the doors at Copa don't open till 10:30.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Ricardo900 said:
Sorry M.A.R., Copa on Friday's is Reggaeton, Hip-Hop Tiguere night, on both floors, rarely any salsa & merengue, and don't hold your breath for Bachata. Also, I believe Chris wanted after-work and the doors at Copa don't open till 10:30.

Thanks Ricardo900 but if he wants to dance and spend a nice evening he has to stay until at least 12, right? G&G starts after 10Pm and he can have dinner before and then dance inthe same place, is cool. Ok Copa.has change then, I haven't been to the new location. Come on Talldrink you must have some more suggestions, "partygirl".

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I looked on the website and both LQ and Remy lounge have after work parties on Fridays. Now that I think of it I remember a place I went to back in 2002 that was somewhere in the 40's with dancing downstairs and more of a lounge upstairs that was good after work - anyone know the name?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Thats LQ - on Madison or Lexington (I forget - but in that general area) between 48th and 49th... Nice place. Mangos is upstairs, thats the lounge.

Copa's sucks on Friday unless your hormones are raging and are under 23... I walked in and left the other day. I guess I got old.

MAR - put it like this: I'm catching up. I was married for 8 years and I just turned 29 last week. Need I say more?

jrzguy2

Sep 1, 2004
Son Cuba...friday nights at 9 pm they have a latin DJ (actually...a dominican girl i work with is having HER bday party this friday...so i might be there)

its on 14th street in the meatpacking district. between 9th and washington.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Talldrink said:
Thats LQ - on Madison or Lexington (I forget - but in that general area) between 48th and 49th... Nice place. Mangos is upstairs, thats the lounge.

Copa's sucks on Friday unless your hormones are raging and are under 23... I walked in and left the other day. I guess I got old.

MAR - put it like this: I'm catching up. I was married for 8 years and I just turned 29 last week. Need I say more?

Tenemos unas cuantas cosas en comun. We have things in common.;)
MAR

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
The Old School Salseros party at Twenty Veinte at 20 Warren St. (Lower Manhattan) great mature crowd.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Ricardo900 said:
The Old School Salseros party at Twenty Veinte at 20 Warren St. (Lower Manhattan) great mature crowd.

Ricardo900 remember he said Merengue, Bachata y Salsa, la combinacion perfecta.(the perfect combination) :cheeky: y guiro ripiao? no quiere?

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
M.A.R. said:
Ricardo900 remember he said Merengue, Bachata y Salsa, la combinacion perfecta.(the perfect combination) :cheeky: y guiro ripiao? no quiere?
ooops, I forgot.
Where-ever Chris goes in the City, they will play much more Salsa, in comparison to Bachata and Veinte does not play Bachata, unless you request it, then he'll play one song in which you'll have the dance floor to yourself.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Ok, about 2 hours to go time. Does anyone have a preference between Remy Lounge and LQ? Both have an after work party today and my job is about half way in between the two.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Frank the Tank said:
Chris, did you end up finding a place to go???

I went to LQ at around 6PM and there was a good buffet and 2 for 1 drinks until 7. In the back room there was salsa, merengue, and bachata and a decent crowd. We stayed until 9:30.