Entering DR from Canada with a Criminal Record

Jroc

Mar 22, 2006
Hey guys I've browsed the site for a while and decided this would be the best place to ask my question since travel agencies keep giveing us the runaround. A few of us are planning to go to POP for a week and the problem is one of my friends has a criminal record. The record is minor and resulted in only a fine (no probation or anything). I was just wondering if he will be able to come with us because I'd rather not bring him if it will be a problem. I've been told that it probably wont be an issue but just thought that I would check with someon who might actually know :)

Thanks guys

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Can he get a passport? if so then probably not a problem unless he is on some wanted list.

Getting into the DR with a criminal record would only be a problem if he either commited the crime in the DR and was wanted or the crime was so heinous he is well known internationally.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From your description, it doesn't sound like serious enough offense to cause the authorities here to be concerned. If his travel documents are in order, he will most likely pass through immigration in the normal manner. If he were planning to live here and apply for residency, I suppose there could be a problem, but it would depend on how your local authorities described him. But since he is coming as a tourist, bring him along.

Jroc

Mar 22, 2006
As for if he can get a passport I'm not sure because I was told all we needed was our birth certificates and drivers licences for ID but I should look into that I appreciate everyones input :)

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Is he wanted or on parole? like I said before you won't have a problem getting him into the DR, but if it was serious enough you may have a problem getting him out of canada.
Check with Foriegn Affairs Canada
http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca

I had plenty of clients who had minor records come down to the DR, just make sure he does not do anything stupid that could get him in trouble again.

Jroc

Mar 22, 2006
no no nobody is wanted or on parole haha
I think he should be ok
Thanks again everyone I appreciate the help

Baby Girl

Sep 23, 2005
Jroc said:
Hey guys I've browsed the site for a while and decided this would be the best place to ask my question since travel agencies keep giveing us the runaround. A few of us are planning to go to POP for a week and the problem is one of my friends has a criminal record. The record is minor and resulted in only a fine (no probation or anything). I was just wondering if he will be able to come with us because I'd rather not bring him if it will be a problem. I've been told that it probably wont be an issue but just thought that I would check with someon who might actually know :)

Thanks guys

Like others have said .... unless he is a wanted fugitve it shouldnt be a problem

I have a very close friend who travelled to the DR at Chirtsmas time, who has a criminal record. Not just including a fine .... He is on probation, with community service and is checked up o n every month and it was ok to go to the DR for a week.

So my guess is it shouldnt be a problem (unless he is wanted in the DR or on America's Most Wanted!! LOL). But just to make sure if he has a Parole Officer it would be smart to check with him/her first. The first thing my friend did was check with his PR to make sure there weren't any problems!

*Baby Girl

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
He shouldn't have any problem as long as you go direct to the DR. If he transits through the States they might deny him access. For example a friend of mine was charged with possesion of pot when he was 18, only charge on his record. 30 years later and he wanted to go to Las Vegas with his wife; USA would not let him in. So what you think is a minor offense in Canada may be view differently in another country.