Is there an easier way?

Gunrun19

Mar 18, 2006
Bank of Nova Scotia - No fee money transfer

I just sent $ 1,000. Canadian from Canada to the Bank of Nova Scotia in Cabarete where my Dominican wife has a shared account with her sister. Apparently you must have a cedular to open an account in the DR. The money arrives in pesos. There was no fee charged in Canada and we don't have a Nova Scotia account. This sure beats Western Union etc if you can trust the person on the receiving end. We are using it for construction renovations on a house in Sabaneta de Yasica. Good luck,

Last edited by a moderator:

purplebunniern

May 13, 2004
I am coming down for the month of June to go to school in Sosua. What I would like to know is instead of me bringing all my money with me, can I Western Union it to myself? Or does anyone have another suggestion as how to access money without having to carry it with me?
Any info is much appreciated
:bunny:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Well, WU will charge for the tranfser.
I don?t know where you come from, but can?t you use your ATM card?
My family does that always, as at their bank back in Sweden there are no charges for this. Check with your bank if they charge for ATMs abroad.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
WU is an expensive option. Using you ATM card and bringing the money in travelers checks will cost you less. Of those 2, using ATM card is what I would recommend, assuming you don't need more than RD$4-5,000 on any given day.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Traveler?s checks are far less risky than ATM cards, the DR isn?t Kansas, and banks aren?t up to the same standards as the 1st world.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
purplebunniern said:
I am coming down for the month of June to go to school in Sosua. What I would like to know is instead of me bringing all my money with me, can I Western Union it to myself? Or does anyone have another suggestion as how to access money without having to carry it with me?
Any info is much appreciated
:bunny:

Just use your ATM card. - D

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
As a Canadian in the DR, I use my Debit card at the ATM machines and Visa at the grocery stores when funds start to deplete between cheque deposits.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Use the search function on ATM's and you'll find out why I said the DR ain't Kansas. The banks in the DR are somewhat less than honest!

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
I use my ATM card all the time, and it is safe so long as you observe some basic rules: it is preferable to withdraw money from machines that are located in or at the bank during banking hours, so that if the card gets stuck inside you can retrieve it then and there; otherwise you will be without funds as it can take a long time to have a card returned to you. Plus there are various scams out there.

Traveler's checks are fine too. Ifyou are here only a month you could bring cash and checks enough to last you that period of time. Wiring the money to yourself makes no sense at all.

Quinny

Oct 29, 2005
Heads up....Bank of America ATM cards have not worked there for about 8 months. Not sure if its working now. We opened a Chase account and the ATM card works fine but the bank charges you 3% for every transaction.

purplebunniern

May 13, 2004
thanks for the advice. I have used my ATM card a few times there and my visa but I also understand the risks. I just thought having an account with Western union would be easy...guess not. :bunny:

stiggybaby

Jan 20, 2006
DolEx Amigo Latino

Some friends I know use DolEx Amigo Latino. I've been in the office when a friend set up their account to get a card (a simple form that required the destination address and a phone number, and my friends ID and phone number). They charge $8 per transaction (if you send $50 or $5,000.00 USD, it still costs only $8 per transaction). You can send in USD and have it arrive in either USD or RD pesos.

1-888-246-2527 (Dolex dollar express)

If they don't have an office in your town, then give them the zip code for the biggest city close to you (I don't know about Canada).