Part time ex-pat ?

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
I'm an occasional visitor here -- spend more time on the Thorn Tree -- but this question I believe would get a better quality of response here on DR1. I've scrolled and searched here, and found lots of neat stuff -- but no answer to this ?simple? question.

If intending to move to the DR for five or six months of each year; and if intending to look for employment whilst there; which of the following are preferred scenarios: A, B, C? What else might be involved in each?

A. Enter as a tourist on a five-month or open ticket; check "pleasure" in purpose-of-visit; sort out any legalities of working after / if employment is found.

B. Enter, openly stating that one is looking for employment; check of some other box on the migracion form (?which?); and (presumably) go through a lot of questioning at the airport. ?Is a pre-arranged Visa needed for this option?

C. Either one -- it doesn't matter? OR Some other . . . ?

This is really a question about entry -- not about my suitability for the country, but in case it bears on the answer: I'm looking at retirement, will have a limited income (by NA standards), have a few professional qualifications that might make a fit. Will really need to work to bring in a bit of money -- and of course work to keep the mind alive (one can't be a tourist all of the time).

I know I could have asked this of various ex-pats in Feb-Mar when I was there (the eighth visit in twenty years) but I didn't think of it at the time.

Thanks folks for anything you care to drop in here.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
My recommendation, come in as a tourist and if you decide to get your residency, pay whatever overstay you might have and voila! They're not to stiff about that down here. I stayed here for 6 years before finally going through with my residency paperwork. All depends on how you feel better doing things and whether or not the business you go into requires you to have your residency. But to enter the country, not a problem either way.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I agree with Kate, at least the first year. If you later decide you are going to do this every year, including work, then I would recommend getting residency. But for now, come as a tourist.