Planning Samana activities

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
For a weekend visit to Samana I'm trying to figure out which activities to do in about two days. I've searched the forum extensively, and there's lots of information on Samana activities, but not much on how long they take. We'll be arriving in Las Terrenas friday afternoon by car (no yipeta) and want to be back in Santo Domingo sunday night.
Attractions on our list are Salto Limon on horseback, Playa Rincon by boat, and maybe Los Haitises by boat as well. How long do those excursions generally take?
Is Salto Limon saturday morning, drive to Las Galeras and visit Playa Rincon in the afternoon, sleep in Las Galeras, go see Los Haitises on sunday morning, and drive back to Santo Domingo in the afternoon feasible, or would that be pushing it too much?

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
There are more knowledgeable DR1er's than me, but it sounds like too much to me. It takes quite a bit of energy to go up to the waterfalls at Limon on horseback. In fact, the horses can't get you all the way and some hiking is required. And once you get to the beaches either at Terranas or Rincon you won't want to leave! Id suggest you take a day for Limon and rest on the beach in Las Terrenas. You'll have to go from Samana City to Las Galeras to get the boats to Rincon, so plan a day for that. Have lunch on Rincon at one of the locals set up there and relax.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You don?t need a boat to Playa Rincon. You can take a Moto-Concho if you wish.

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
WOW! That sounds like pushin it. Did ya try it aleady? Report back, Sam

p.s. With some strong coffee and a good driver, you may be able to pull it off.

Sep 19, 2005
I had a buddy who planned about 150% of an well executed day into each day... and the result is that he left everyone he interacted with in a foul mood. he would always run late on each and every thing he planned...and if that involved others , their day would be messed up.......so he just went on for years rubbing everyone badly, and he himslef would end up being miserable....if he had cut some things out, he could at least had some enjoyment on those things he had made time for.......

set your sights low and have something to fill in if you find yourself with extra time....dont plan the max and expect it.....

what about traffic jams..what about every one else you interact with those days...what if they slow your plans down!

do you know this IS THE DR!!!! people are notoriously S L O W.....g e t t i n g t h e h o r s e r e a d y g e t t i n g t h e b o a t r e a d y

get the idea?

bob

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
jeje, I get the idea. No, have not been there yet. just had not idea how long those trips take, whether salto limon is just a few hundred meters from the road or somewhere between las terrenas and timbouctou. But i get the idea limon and haitises are proper day-filling trips, if not we'll find other ways to fill our days. Cheers :).

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
qgrande said:
jeje, I get the idea. No, have not been there yet. just had not idea how long those trips take, whether salto limon is just a few hundred meters from the road or somewhere between las terrenas and timbouctou. But i get the idea limon and haitises are proper day-filling trips, if not we'll find other ways to fill our days. Cheers :).

About "Salto El Limon" location:
The shortest routes lead from Arroyo Surdido, and Rancho Espa?ol, the longest from El Caf? and El Lim?n. Get you guide from Paradas located close to the waterfall, Parada Ismael and La Familia or Manzana
See this map here:
http://www.saltolimon.de/Maps/limon_map_800x600.jpg
for a better understanding.

On Playa Rincon I will spend a full day with out any doubt, getting from the village of Rincon to the beach will be a chalange to a car, might desintegrate on the way there. Take a boat from Las Galeras, will be less stressfull for you and the car.

Los Haitises visit, I will consider a full day excursion from Sanchez, beeing close to the park.

Have fun.

WebDev

jonvelas

Jan 29, 2010
gosamana-dominicanrepublic.com
Samana Activities - Tours, Excursions and Things to do in Samana, Dominican Republic

This is an update as of 2011 / a lot as changed since the last post in 2006

The town of Samana has a new website where you will find tons of informations
on Activities, Tours, Excursions, Restaurants, Bars, Shops, and general Things to Do in Samana.

Here is the link :

Go Samana | Samana, Dominican Republic

:knockedou Enjoy discovering Samana !

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

It will take you a good 3-4hrs to take the horses up the falls. Most tours also include lunch. After that you probably would be better off coming back to Las Terrenas and go to Playa Las Ballenas. Chill out at the beach have some Presidente's or Cuba Libres and have a good meal in town. I would recommend Restaurant Los Pinos, La Yuca Caliente(for Italian) or Mojito"s (for tappas) . 4 wheeler tours out of LT are a lot of fun. If you have never been to Luis' Restaurant in Playa Coson it is worth the trip. This is a very laid back restaurant on the beach where you can get grilled fish and drinks and swim in waves before and after. There is also literally miles of beach to walk on. From here you can access the new extension of the Atlantic Blvd and head for Santo Domingo. If you want to be on the beach stay at Hotel Colibri. Hotel Villas Mariposa is not on the beach but it is a 5 minute walk to Playa de Los Pescadores or check out www.lasterrenaslive for other hotels.

S