Huelga in Santiago

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Well if the reasons behind the huelga in Santiago are what I am hearing then I can certainly support this particular one.

A 12 year old girl was shot to death at close range by a policeman because whe had seen him shoot her aunt in the back and wouldn't shut up about it.

This happenned in a small barrio called "pueblo nuevo" where my wife is from and she and most of her family know the little girl.

It is clear to me that the driving force behind the increase in crime and unrest of late are none other than the police themselves.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
policemen are so crooked in dr i don't even know why they have them.

they're not there to help you out when you call them and when they arrive they don't do anything.... but they do become partners with local robbers to snatch foreigners or rich's money.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
It seems with the run-up to the elections, huelgas are increasing everywhere. We were on the road toward Monte Cristi today, up near by La Isabella, and there were signs on huelgas all over the road. Turning off to go to Punta Rucia, was impossible, as all roads were closed with a huelga - apparently because of the conditions of the roads.

Whatever the reasons, things are getting real hot out on the streets.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Not a huelga at all, it's full blown riot, with continouos shooting going in several barrios, mainly Pueblo Nuevo. Scores have been arrested, and several shooting victims, including a 14 year-old boy shot in the face. The residents became outraged when police yesterday shot in cold blood a pregnant woman, and then a witness, a 12 year-old girl athlete. Police officers involved include General De Jesus Consuegra's own chauffeur, and several other officers close to the police chief. General Consuegra has failed to arrest the officers, and residents are demanding his resignation...

-

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
MrMike said:
Well if the reasons behind the huelga in Santiago are what I am hearing then I can certainly support this particular one.

A 12 year old girl was shot to death at close range by a policeman because whe had seen him shoot her aunt in the back and wouldn't shut up about it.

This happenned in a small barrio called "pueblo nuevo" where my wife is from and she and most of her family know the little girl.

It is clear to me that the driving force behind the increase in crime and unrest of late are none other than the police themselves.

Mike. I heard of this too from my cousin today. This is a shame.

My cousin also told me that the body was dug up from the cemetary and taken to the palacio nacional. Do you know if this is true? If so, MAN THAT IS MESSED UP!!! (the part of digging up the body)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's the Palacio de Justicia - the Court, not the Palacio Nacional. They stopped there on their way to the funeral.

Werner

Feb 19, 2004
I noticed that it wasnt the best area to be in when I drove in there today. ;)
Figured out that a gringo in a suv never needs his sowing suply that much!

Why do you people always assume the police are wrong? Get your heads out of your a$$es and face facts. The police must make split second decisions under adverse conditions and the be Monday morning quartebacked by people who who neither have the balls nor courage to defend other human beings, so please spare me your drama and sit back and wait to see whAT REALLY HAPPENED.
BADPIECE

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Badpiece, do some homework and you will find out that most crimes are comited by police down here...
Most of the robbery is directly linked to the police, most folks killed are killed by the police...
Even Politur is now an organised thieve group in the tourist areas...

I know it sounds hard to believe, and I understand your 1st reaction, but these are the sad facts...

Werner

Feb 19, 2004
I dont know about this case but I do agree with Squat. I aslo have been robbed at gunpoint in the middle of the night. Guess what? By a cop!

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Squat said:
Badpiece, do some homework and you will find out that most crimes are comited by police down here...
Most of the robbery is directly linked to the police, most folks killed are killed by the police...
Even Politur is now an organised thieve group in the tourist areas...

I know it sounds hard to believe, and I understand your 1st reaction, but these are the sad facts...
As a gringo are you better off dealing with the tourist police or the regular police? or are they all the same?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
badpiece33 said:
Why do you people always assume the police are wrong? Get your heads out of your a$$es and face facts. The police must make split second decisions under adverse conditions and the be Monday morning quartebacked by people who who neither have the balls nor courage to defend other human beings, so please spare me your drama and sit back and wait to see whAT REALLY HAPPENED.
BADPIECE
People saw what really happenned, that's the whole problem.

The police murdered a pregnant woman, then murdered her 12 year old niece who witnessed it.

Are you sure you want to defend these animals?

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
MrMike said:
As a gringo your best bet is to not deal with any police at all.
Good advice but what if it is absolutely necessary to have police involvement- which is the better choice of the two evils...

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
twhitehead said:
Good advice but what if it is absolutely necessary to have police involvement- which is the better choice of the two evils...

I have no experience with the tourist police, when I need help from the police (usually to get other police to stop harrassing people I care about) then I have a friend/former employee who is married to a Police Colonel and so I get him involved.

If you are a gringo and you are going to be living or working here for any length of time you are going to need contacts like this sooner or later. You must be very careful in choosing your contacts because if you choose the wrong person they are very likely to manufacture a need for their involvement in your life at regular intervals in order to keep the "appreciation" flowing.

My particular friend I have never given more than a smile and a firm handshake, although I believe my father in law may give him free beer from time to time, but he does this with nearly everyone. He has always been available to help no matter what the problem and happy to do it day or night.

He's the one who got my install technician sprung from jail for the heinous crime of carrying an inverter in public without an invoice.

d72

Apr 11, 2005
I saw this story yesterday in Primer Impacto here in NY. It was a very strong story that really affected me. They showed the dead 12 year old girl and they actually had video of the women who was shot a few minutes after the incident. An amateur or news cameraman was around and went up to her when she was laying on the ground, and asked her what had happened she calmly said that a cop shot her, she was very calm although she had a bullet hole on the side of the belly. Then the reporter narrating the story tells us those were her last words because a few seconds later she died. It was really sad to see that and then see her lying in a coffin. Anyways there are some really f-up cops in DR. They should really catch these guys and do something to them.