Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Buying Used Vehicle...Be Careful !!!

I stop from time to time to look at used vehicles I see on the road. Lately I have seen a lot of vehicles that appear okay but either have a lot of humidity or show other signs of flooding such as a mildewy smell. I suspect that these may be Katrina vehicles. So check for signs of flooding.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy
    I stop from time to time to look at used vehicles I see on the road. Lately I have seen a lot of vehicles that appear okay but either have a lot of humidity or show other signs of flooding such as a mildewy smell. I suspect that these may be Katrina vehicles. So check for signs of flooding.
    Snuffy: Any suggestions on what to look for other than mold/humidity? thanks tom

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by twhitehead
    Snuffy: Any suggestions on what to look for other than mold/humidity? thanks tom
    That's really a good question, and I've been racking my brain for what I would look for.
    The only thing I can come up with is a new computer.
    There's no way that the computer would survive a soaking, and, as we always borrow used vehicles for a day, before buying them, then hook them up to an analisys computer, looking for anything that is not functioning properly and for the car's history, we would know right away if the computer had been replaced.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

If the car came originally from the US you can check with:
    www.cartrack.com and get a report on the vehicle's history as well as check on title and title transfers. May be woth the $20 or so.

Bob K

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Salvage/Flood/Katrina

Tom:

The Dominican Republic has had a law (2002) against the import of salvage vehicles. That having been said and knowing that there is a certain amount of selective enforcement and outright laundering of titles to these vehicles, I suggest the following steps:

1. Look for a water mark/line around the interior and engine and trunk
    compartments;
    2. Look for white corrosion at the fuse box, cigarette lighter, metal
    frame underneath the seats or anywhere you have an electric connection;
    3. Pull the oil and/or transmission fluid dipsticks and look for water beading;
    4. Check the air filter housing for silt and other sediments;
    5. Run a carfax; www.carfax.com
    6. Run the vehicle identification number at www.nicb.org.

Caveat: Steps 5 and 6 are basically only applicable to cars formerly from the USA and its territories (Step 5) and those affected by hurricane Katrina (step 6).

Seeing humidity and smelling mildew may be signs of nothing more innocuous than having left the windows open in a tropical downpour, but that should give you pause to investigate further.

Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2

QUOTE=twhitehead]Snuffy: Any suggestions on what to look for other than mold/humidity? thanks tom[/QUOTE]

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Use Carfax.

If the vehicle came from the US, write down the Vin number and use Carfax to check it. If it was written off as a total loss, it should be noted on the Carfax report. Just the other day there was an article in the paper about people bringing in such cars under falsified titles.

A few years ago a friend of mine was looking for a used car for his wife. Every used car he was interested in he noted the vin number and checked it with Carfax. Every single car was a total loss in the US. Like Snuffy said, with the Katrina disaster I would be very, very carefull in purchasing a used car.

Greg

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Rocky:

Computers are limited lifetime components and may fail and be replaced for many reasons other than a flood. While its replacement may give you pause, look to the electrical connections at the computer first and follow the steps I have outlined above.

Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    That's really a good question, and I've been racking my brain for what I would look for.
    The only thing I can come up with is a new computer.
    There's no way that the computer would survive a soaking, and, as we always borrow used vehicles for a day, before buying them, then hook them up to an analisys computer, looking for anything that is not functioning properly and for the car's history, we would know right away if the computer had been replaced.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

last yr i went to dealer looking for used suv and wrote down vin # of a toyota rav4.. then went online to carfax but no records found in that vin #.. but the dealer told me that vehicle came from the us.

so my question is,,, if vehicle comes from us, it must be in carfax db?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by playacaribe2
    Rocky:

Computers are limited lifetime components and may fail and be replaced for many reasons other than a flood. While its replacement may give you pause, look to the electrical connections at the computer first and follow the steps I have outlined above.

Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2
    Makes sense to me.
    Like I said, that was the only thing that came to my mind.
    The only computer I ever replaced in a car, was from water damage, so that's what made me think of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by THE GAME
    last yr i went to dealer looking for used suv and wrote down vin # of a toyota rav4.. then went online to carfax but no records found in that vin #.. but the dealer told me that vehicle came from the us.

so my question is,,, if vehicle comes from us, it must be in carfax db?
    Car dealers in the DR often buy cars from auctions in the US, that came from other countries.
    Perhaps, if these cars are never registered in the US, they don't get into the database.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast