Questions-Trip To Sosua

VanessaLee13

Mar 24, 2006
Hi:
I am new here to the forums. I have only visited the DR twice. Once for a week to volunteer at an orphanage in Esperanza-flew into Puerto Plata, visited Santo Domingo and spent the last 1/2 day in Sos?a (absolutely LOVED it in Sos?a!). My second trip was two weeks. We flew into Santo Domingo, stayed at the Chicken Hilton (if anyone knows where that is-about 1.5 hours from Santo Domingo) for a few nights at the beginning and end of the trip, stayed outside of Dajabon for most of the trip, volunteered at a hospital in Los Almacigos (sp?), spent the middle weekend in Manzanillo, and the last day went to Boca Chica. By far, Sos?a has been my favorite place in my limited DR experience. One day, I would love to live and work/do medical volunteer work in the Dominican. The thing is, hablo poquito espa?ol (haha, I have learned to say that!). . .

So, my boyfriend and I are probably going to be attending two weeks of a Spanish school in Sos?a, this August, to get some initial Spanish skills. I have a few questions for all you who live in Sos?a or who travel there. I am one of those people who ask a million questions. If you can’t answer them all, that’s fine. :) I appreciate any info at all!

1. Anyone know anything about this language school? Heard of it; any opinions? It is at http://www.ilangdr.com/. [edit: the school address is 11 calle Proyecto, Sos?a].

2. The place I am looking at staying right now is Condos Dominicano (http://www.condosdominicano.com). They have given me the best rate, and say they are located right across from the school. Does anyone have any opinions or knowledge about this place? Is it close to everything (beach/town/etc)? Is it a decent place to stay (we are students, so I am not looking for a 5 star place, just somewhere not horrible)?

3. Plane tickets. Anyone have any numbers/sources on how much they usually pay to fly into Puerto Plata from the States? We live in Cleveland. Again, we are students, so I am trying to find the lowest rate possible. Any recommendations other than the typical Expedia, Travelocity? I am thinking of trying Priceline, but am debating how much I should bid.

4. I think the school may provide transportation from the airport to where we stay, but if not, how much does it cost to get from Puerto Plata to Sos?a? And is it easy to access if I speak very little Spanish?

That’s all I can think of for now. Thanks in advance!
Vanessa

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
VanessaLee13 said:
1. Anyone know anything about this language school? Heard of it; any opinions? It is at http://www.ilangdr.com/. [edit: the school address is 11 calle Proyecto, Sos?a].
They are long established, here in Sosua, and I have never heard anything negative about them.

VanessaLee13 said:
2. The place I am looking at staying right now is Condos Dominicano (http://www.condosdominicano.com). They have given me the best rate, and say they are located right across from the school. Does anyone have any opinions or knowledge about this place? Is it close to everything (beach/town/etc)? Is it a decent place to stay (we are students, so I am not looking for a 5 star place, just somewhere not horrible)?
The info you have is correct and I lived there for 3 years and it's quite nice.

VanessaLee13 said:
4. I think the school may provide transportation from the airport to where we stay, but if not, how much does it cost to get from Puerto Plata to Sos?a? And is it easy to access if I speak very little Spanish?
Taxis cost 20 bucks from the POP airport to Condos Dominicanos. POP airport is in Sosua. It is named for the province of Puerto Plata, not the city.

VanessaLee13

Mar 24, 2006
Thanks so much for your help. I did know that the airport was closer to Sosua than to the city of Puerto Plata, but did not know that it is actually in Sosua and that Puerto Plata was the province. Thank you. :)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
A little birdy informs me that The Gregorio Luper?n International Airport (POP)is located in La Union in the province of Puerto Plata, which is indeed closer to Sosua than The City of Puerto Plata>>>>> Sorry Marco, I could not resist!

Latitude 19.757900
19? 45' 28.44" N

Longitude -70.570033
070? 34' 12.12" W

nebraskamom

May 4, 2005
charter from cleveland

there is one charter company either usa3000 or air2000 (i can't get them straight) that goes direct cleveland -punta cana. from there you could take a carribe tours bus or maybe a quick flight from punta cana to pop depending on how much time you have. usually the charters are around $169 each way.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Tamborista said:
A little birdy informs me that The Gregorio Luper?n International Airport (POP)is located in La Union in the province of Puerto Plata, which is indeed closer to Sosua than The City of Puerto Plata>>>>> Sorry Marco, I could not resist!

Latitude 19.757900
19? 45' 28.44" N

Longitude -70.570033
070? 34' 12.12" W
You are 100% correct.
In fact, the airport is also known by that name.
A Swedish fellow just flew in here yesterday with Novair, and his airline tickets list the airport name, as "La Union", which, btw, is one of Sosua's suburbs.