Northern Brazil vs. Dominican Republic

amigomexicano

Mar 21, 2006
Hi,

I'm from Mexico and plan on visiting the DR and staying for three months. I have never been to the DR so I have no idea of what it's like, other than what I have read on the internet. I'm specially interested in the climate and culture. I have been to the Amazon region in Northern Brazil and I'm very familiar with their culture. Has anybody visited both Northern Brazil and the DR and can tell me if they share common characteristics in terms of culture and climate? The Amazon region is extremely hot and humid (Much worse than Miami and Cancun). Can I expect a similar climate in the DR or is it much milder?? I never heard anybody complain about the climate in the DR while most people that have visited the Amazon find the heat and humidity highly uncomfortable. Thanks!

amigomexicano

Mar 21, 2006
By the way, one of the interesting things I noticed in the Brazilian Amazonia was that social inequality is worse than in Mexico but for some reason, maybe lack of American influence, people talk, look and dress almost the same, regardless of their social class. I wonder if this also happens in the DR or if it's as marked as in Mexico where you can easily tell to which socio-economic class a person belongs just by their way of speaking, dressing, racial features or by the places they go to. In the Amazon, the only way you can tell in most cases is by visiting their home or finding out if they have a car and what type of car it is. Also, there is no social equivalent of "fresa" in the Amazon and I found that to be a very nice feature of Amazonian society where most people are not trying to impress each other with status as much as people in Mexico are. Does anybody know what's the social situation in DR in this respect?

Millner

Nov 16, 2005
I haven't been to the Amazon, but I have been to the northeast coast of Brazil (Recife, Olinda and a few other places). The culture is similar to the DR, but I would say that (believe it or not) the DR is a little more advanced. Recife had tons of young prostitutes on every corner, and it was a very ugly city. Worst of all, there's literally a river of sewage flowing right through the middle of the town. Talk about a health hazard! The people were very nice -- I even dated a girl from Recife for a while -- but I thought Dominicans were friendlier and had a better attitude toward life (more humor, greater enjoyment of things). The entire time I was in Brazil I was sizing it up relative to the DR, and while Brazil is nice, it lacks the magic of the DR (for me, at least).

amigomexicano

Mar 21, 2006
Thanks Millner. I found your observation quite interesting...You went to one of the friendliest places in Brazil but yes, Recife is quite a city of contrasts. In fact, Brazil is a country of contrasts maybe more than any other country in Latin America. In Recife you can see poverty like you might never see in the DR (I suppose) but you may also see people living in opulence. I stil don't understand why people say the DR is more "advanced". Advanced in what aspect?? I have found Brazil to be an example to the world as far as racial and ideological tolerance and in the way they manage to live in harmony as a united nation in spite of all the problems they face. Economically, Brazil is very rich though this wealth is poorly distributed but people are aware of this problem and seem to be trying to change this. There are problems with education in Brazil but I have read the DR is facing a similar situation. Anyway, I found quite interesting your observation and I appreciate it. I will be researching more about the DR, a very interesting country for me too.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Very interesting question

amigomexicano said:
Hi,

I'm from Mexico and plan on visiting the DR and staying for three months. I have never been to the DR so I have no idea of what it's like, other than what I have read on the internet. I'm specially interested in the climate and culture. I have been to the Amazon region in Northern Brazil and I'm very familiar with their culture. Has anybody visited both Northern Brazil and the DR and can tell me if they share common characteristics in terms of culture and climate? The Amazon region is extremely hot and humid (Much worse than Miami and Cancun). Can I expect a similar climate in the DR or is it much milder?? I never heard anybody complain about the climate in the DR while most people that have visited the Amazon find the heat and humidity highly uncomfortable. Thanks!

As far as heat index goes, I have never been to a hotter place then the Northeast....... blistering and no comparison. As far as culture is concerned... that is very hard to compare due to, the Northeast being mostly African and Indian.

As far as education goes, from what I have seen the DR definitely is more educated in a place like Santiago versus the Northeast. I've been to Brazil many times but only 12 states...... but I will say overall education wise throughout the country is lacking but still better than the DR in every aspect.

I think the beauty of both countries comes down to the individual being open-minded.... which sometime I'm not, and enjoy what is they are for offer.

andy_089

Mar 23, 2003
Millner said:
but I thought Dominicans were friendlier and had a better attitude toward life (more humor, greater enjoyment of things). The entire time I was in Brazil I was sizing it up relative to the DR, and while Brazil is nice, it lacks the magic of the DR (for me, at least).
I have made the same observations in Recive, D.R. is much more fun in every aspect. D.R. is the only latin country i can fully enjoy. I have been in Cuba, Brazil, Peru, Panama, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Honduras. All those countries mean nothing to me compard with D.R.

amigomexicano

Mar 21, 2006
It's nice to know the DR is such a wonderful place. Can't wait to visit this country. Thanks. By the way, since the DR is so advanced, do they have wireless hotspots in Santiago?? If you know of any public or for-pay hotspot where I can connect with my laptop without wires, please let me know.

Last edited:

El_cubano

Dec 1, 2005
"I wonder if this also happens in the DR or if it's as marked as in Mexico where you can easily tell to which socio-economic class a person belongs just by their way of speaking, dressing, racial features or by the places they go to..."

Yeah, it's the same everywhere and i see nothing wrong with it.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
amigomexicano said:
It's nice to know the DR is such a wonderful place. Can't wait to visit this country. Thanks. By the way, since the DR is so advanced, do they have wireless hotspots in Santiago?? If you know of any public or for-pay hotspot where I can connect with my laptop without wires, please let me know.
Amigo,

Telecommunications is the industry par excellence in the DR. Of course, service ranges from excellent to so-so, but the telecommunications industry of the DR is the most advanced in the entire Latin American region, on par with developed nations. If only the rest of the economy looked that good....

While Brazil has a tremendous economy (albeit, Mexico's is larger economically speaking) Brazil also has an income inequality that is much worst than the DR, in fact Brazil tops many listing of international income inequality comparisons between countries.

While Brazil has "world class" cities such as Sao Paulo and Rio, the truth of the matter is that such a large country is able to produce the infrastructure those cities have due to the fact that building a road only costs so much. A country with an economy near 1 trillion dollars will have a much easier time building that same road than does a country with less than a fifth of such economy.

For another example, take the infrastructure of the DR at the moment. The infrastructure is uneven, mostly due to uneven distribution of population across the geography of the nation and lack of funds to fully maintain the entire infrastructure in top notch shape. In any case, if a country like Jamaica or Belize, for example, were to invest the same amount of money the DR invest in its infrastructure, the infrastructure of those countries would have been far superior to the DR's simply because those countries have less land and less people, which would result in a higher investment in infrastructure on a per capita basis.

Tourism is well developed, albeit its overwhelmingly all-inclusive based tourism.

Commerce is extensively developed, with almost all Dominicans depending on the market for some, if not all of their needs (unlike in the Amazon where bartering is probably widespread and the only way of gaining things).

Manufacturing base of the country is relatively large, mostly due to maquiladoras. Also, trade is well developed with Puerto Rico and the US and reasonably developed with the European market.

The biggest problem in the DR is income inequality and this is mostly defined by whether a person owns the means of production or does not owns the means of production of wealth. The government does very little in redistributing income and since return on investment goes hand in hand with amount invested, it only makes sense that wealthier people will have a higher return on their investment on a per dollar or peso basis than would someone who does not invest at all.

Btw, this issue of income inequality is not limited to developing nations. In the United States the gap between the rich and the poor is the widest among industrialized nations and its widening at a rate that should be of concern to most Americans. In Connecticut, for example, there is a small middle class mostly concentrated in a handful of towns. The rest of the population is divided between poor (concentrated in three cities) and rich in the suburbs and exurbs, most often Connecticut residents are rich, but the gap is there and its widening rapidly. For example, using the latest data of property values, the average property value in Bridgeport (the poorest city in Conn.) in around $240,000, where as in Greenwich the average property is worth for $2.4 million. This is average, the median is slightly lower but it's still extremely higher than it is in the poorest places of the state. Despite all of this, Connecticut is the wealthiest state in the nation, with Fairfield County coming in as one of the top 3 wealthiest counties in the country and New Canaan coming in as the wealthiest town in the state, county, and one of the top 5 wealthiest in the nation.

The situation (statistically speaking, albeit it is clearly visible when driving through the state, compared to the situation in other states) is very close to the situation in Manhattan in New York City. Again, hardly a middle class to speak of within the island, people there are either rich or poor with the wealth being greatest concentrated in the Upper East Side and the poverty being the worst in Harlem, within view of the many penthouses and luxury apartments in other areas of Manhattan. Government subsidies in housing helps alleviate the strength of the poverty, otherwise most poor Manhattanites would not be able to afford living on the island or they would resort to building shacks and such, something that is strictly prohibited by local zoning laws.

This gap is becoming wider and if you speak with many American economists, you will see they are preoccupied coming to terms with the notion (which all statistical data seems to show) that income mobility is becoming harder and socioeconomic stratifications are becoming more of a reality.

Refering to Connecticut again, from Greenwich to New Canaan, Darien, Wilton, Ridgefield and many more towns, there is absolutely no sign of poverty of any kind. It's all upper middle class and upper class towns.

The difference between this region of Conn (known as the Gold Coast or the Hedge Fund capital of the world) and say, the Bronx in New York City is as big of a shock as anywhere.

You also notice that the wealthier the town or neighborhood the whiter the population becomes, the poorer the darker. Same story in the DR, Mexico, Brazil, you name it...

My, have I gone way beyond the tangent of the subject being discussed, but it's all relevant in one way or another.

-NALs

Last edited:

amigomexicano

Mar 21, 2006
El_cubano said:
"Yeah, it's the same everywhere and i see nothing wrong with it.

No, it's not the same everywhere. In Brazil and specially in the Amazon, people tend to dress, speak and act the same, regardless of their social class. Again, this is specially true in Amazon cities, small or large. I do find the opposite situation in Mexico and I really feel "asco" when I visit my country and see the middle upper class people as well as the fake middle upper class people speaking and behaving in such a ridiculous way to let others know they are at the top of the social ladder. It's a quite an uncomfortable situation and I'm glad Brazil has a nicer social environment where having or pretending to have status is not as important as in Mexico where many people tend to have this social inferiority complex.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
I lived in Brazil for over a decade (Mideast and Northeast) and am now living in the DR. It may just be my personal notion but I find it a bit dificult to "integrate/assimilate" with latin society as oposed to brazilian society.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
mexicano, just come to Santiago, RD and all your needs would be met. case closed.
AZB

amigomexicano

Mar 21, 2006
PlantaFULL said:
I lived in Brazil for over a decade (Mideast and Northeast) and am now living in the DR. It may just be my personal notion but I find it a bit dificult to "integrate/assimilate" with latin society as oposed to brazilian society.

Brazilians are also Latins though they are not hispanics. I guess you mean you found it difficult to integrate with Hispanic society, right?? That's interesting. What nationality are you? I'm Mexican and I also find Brazilians much nicer than Hispanics...

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
amigomexicano said:
Brazilians are also Latins though they are not hispanics. I guess you mean you found it difficult to integrate with Hispanic society, right?? That's interesting. What nationality are you? I'm Mexican and I also find Brazilians much nicer than Hispanics...

Correct, I have also been to Mexico, Guatemala, Chile and other countries (for a shorter period then Brazil) and I find the hispanic-latin societies to be more reserved towards strangers in general. From that bunch I would even say the DR is the most open and friendly, tho it doesn't go as far as experiences like in Brasil where it (was?) common that people are exchanging phone numbers and inviting you over without hesitation. In hispanic-latin societies incl DR my feeling is that it varies a lot depending on social class, upper middle (not to mention higher class) are a very closed societies.

There was a thread in this forum once where someone wrote "...will always be a Gringo". I believe this is very true.