denouncing us citizenship

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
A friend of mine wants to denounce his US citizenship,and was told he would get a lifetime visa to US....has anyone any info on this????
Bob

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can "denounce" it all you want. However, "renouncing" is a much more complicated process.
You friend is a real a$$hole, BTW. People kill to get that little blue passport....you don't have to like it, but you gotta admit it is so much better than anything else....

HB:D:D:D

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
jaguarbob said:
A friend of mine wants to denounce his US citizenship,and was told he would get a lifetime visa to US....has anyone any info on this????
Bob

I think I need a break from reading DR1 because no intiendo nada.

What can be gained by renouncing a US citizenship in order to get a lifetime visa to the US????? :confused: what Am I missing here? :ermm:

I've come back to take a crack at this again.

Did you maybe mean renounce his Dominican citizenship?

Last edited:
G

gary short

AnnaC said:

What can be gained by renouncing a US citizenship in order to get a lifetime visa to the US????? :confused: what Am I missing here? :ermm:

I've come back to take a crack at this again.

Did you maybe mean renounce his Dominican citizenship?
I'm gettin diiiizzzzeeeyyy.

iluvdr

Aug 24, 2004
I would renonce in a sec...

How about a lifetime of paying taxes on worldwide income???
or terrorist attempts?
As a "American" you should understand that you are US property! therefore the interest of the nation are above your personal interest. this sound considerable to me..
Sure america is much better then most countries, but then again it depends on your situation...
Any wealthy individual in his right mind should seriously consider waiving there american citizenship...
Let face it america is not all it's caught up to be... at least not today!
No offense to other americans on this board, but with your civil liberties being batch every day on the count on 9-11....The US suddenly does not look so attractive to those who can afford leaving confortably else where...
Good luck to your friend!

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
AnnaC said:

Anna, let me try to clear this up for you.

The "friend" (it's always a friend, eh, Bob?) has noticed how much a US visa is coveted by Dominicans and many others. Naturally, human nature being what it is, he wants one too. Unfortunately, it turns out he is ineligible for this highly prized status symbol by virtue of being a US citizen. Ergo, the only logical solution is...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
iluvdr said:
How about a lifetime of paying taxes on worldwide income???
or terrorist attempts?
As a "American" you should understand that you are US property! therefore the interest of the nation are above your personal interest. this sound considerable to me..
Sure america is much better then most countries, but then again it depends on your situation...
Any wealthy individual in his right mind should seriously consider waiving there american citizenship...
Let face it america is not all it's caught up to be... at least not today!
No offense to other americans on this board, but with your civil liberties being batch every day on the count on 9-11....The US suddenly does not look so attractive to those who can afford leaving confortably else where...
Good luck to your friend!
Your thought process is quite shallow. Can you explain who literally millions of people around the world risk all they have to come to America?

You've swallowed way too much anti-American kool-aid bile.

midnitemed

Dec 7, 2005
iluvdr said:
with your civil liberties being batch every day on the count on 9-11....The US suddenly does not look so attractive

People get stopped just as frequently in the Dominican airports as they do in the American airports, however people being stopped in the U.S. is more for safety reasons as opposed to monetary reasons in the D.R.

iluvdr

Aug 24, 2004
cobraboy said:
Your thought process is quite shallow. Can you explain who literally millions of people around the world risk all they have to come to America?

You've swallowed way too much anti-American kool-aid bile.

That is exactly my point! The US represents great opportunity for most...particularly those who are struggling in third world countries...
How ever for those who don't need welfare, bad health care system and public schooling, the US is not as appealing...
How many rich dominicans do you see in a rush to move to the US???
I am not necessarely putting down the all mighty USA, just pointing out that not every one considers it the ultimate place to live and that there are upsets to being American....

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Yup America is a bad place to be a citizen from. How dare those people think I'm their "property". I showed them, when they weren't looking I walked into a travel agency and bought a ticket to the DR. Also while they weren't looking I've gone back twice to visit and handle some personal matters. How dare my people to cause my “civil liberties being batch(ed)”. Not only that but how dare those terrorists cause my people to “batch” my civil liberties. Before my civil liberties were “batched” I was able to travel were I wanted when I wanted, say my president is an a**hole if I thought so, complain about my government to include applying for a request of redress and a host of other nice things. BUT NOW with all this “batchedness” all I can do is travel were I want when I want, say my president is an a**hole if I think so, complain about my government to include applying for a request of redress and a host of other things.

Of all the rich Dominicans I know, and there are a few, they all own property in that terrible USA and some own businesses there. Some of them travel there every year and some stay there for 3 or 4 months yearly. All of them have sent their children there to be educated. The reason they do this is because they are gluttons for punishment.

I’m thirsty from all this talking I think I’ll go drink some “anti-American kool-aid bile”.

amanacer

Dec 29, 2005
back to the original question...

the question (in question) is very specific. I don't think it is true that one can get lifetime visa, there are 10 years visas or one can get a green card and then enter US as often as required without being a US citizen.
The differences between being a US citizen and being a citizen of some other country might be in tax area and also in criminal law area if one have a Dominican citizenship then US need to request extradition to prosecute and so on, but the idea to denounce seem out of this world....

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Hillbilly said:
You can "denounce" it all you want. However, "renouncing" is a much more complicated process.
You friend is a real a$$hole, BTW. People kill to get that little blue passport....you don't have to like it, but you gotta admit it is so much better than anything else....

I am sure that before deciding to "renounce" his citizenship, he has used that same citizenship to get an education and make money hand over fist in that horrible country called the USA. Now that he is comfortable and has some financial freedom, he is going to "renounce" his citizenship and complain what a horrible country he lived in and how bad it was to him.

I agree Hillbilly, he is an a$$hole, and the dollar signs in place of the ss is very appropriate.

Larry

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I believe the question within the question was well answered by La Profe 1 if you read the link that he posted.

If you failed to read it then allow me to post a portion of text from that link;
"Persons intending to renounce U.S. citizenship should be aware that, unless they already possess a foreign nationality, they may be rendered stateless and, thus, lack the protection of any government. They may also have difficulty traveling as they may not be entitled to a passport from any country. Even if they were not stateless, they would still be required to obtain a visa to travel to the United States, or show that they are eligible for admission pursuant to the terms of the Visa Waiver Pilot Program (VWPP). If found ineligible for a visa or the VWPP to come to the U.S., a renunciant, under certain circumstances, could be permanently barred from entering the United States. Nonetheless, renunciation of U.S. citizenship may not prevent a foreign country from deporting that individual back to the United States in some non-citizen status."

Rick

gardito

Jan 15, 2004
Hillbilly said:
BTW. People kill to get that little blue passport....you don't have to like it, but you gotta admit it is so much better than anything else....

Actually, people get killed because of that "little blue passport" HB. I remember that marine (actually navy guy, squids, jarheads are all the same to us flyboys) on TWA 847 in Lebanon that got singleded out and then beaten to death because he was american. Actually in truth he had the red govt issue one which all military and govt personnel used to travel with, but you get the gist. The world being what it is is full of crazies just trying to beat down on the "neighborhood bully". It'd be cool to have a second passport to go to in the event of an emergency ...

E.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
If this "friend" truly wants to--

whatever that word is-- his US citizenship, then more power to him. In my book he's an unmitigated disloyal nd stupid person.
If he doesn't realize it, ALL his income originating in the US is STILL TAXABLE!!!
He may move to Timbuktu if he wants and become a citizen of whatever country that city(?) is in, but his income will still be taxed and he will find that the rate is at 28% mandatorily withheld. The "Infernal Retribution Society" won't let him get away with a single penny less until he files a return.
Yep, he's screwed, and after all that trouble of getting rid of the US Citizenship "problem".
In spite of all the negativism over the USA, it is STILL the FREE-est country on this planet and it's citizens continue to enjoy that freedom in pursuit of their individual happiness.
Tell your idiotic "friend" to read HISTORY and follow the developments of the past before he takes that irrevocable step.

The Manine Corps has a very good Motto which describes what EVERY US Citizen should follow:

"SEMPER FIDELIS"

(Gyrenes, forgive me if I spelled that wrong)

Texas Bill

Raise a toast to "ABSENT COMRADES"

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
A man without a country

Rick Snyder said:
I believe the question within the question was well answered by La Profe 1 if you read the link that he posted.

If you failed to read it then allow me to post a portion of text from that link;
"Persons intending to renounce U.S. citizenship should be aware that, unless they already possess a foreign nationality, they may be rendered stateless and, thus, lack the protection of any government. They may also have difficulty traveling as they may not be entitled to a passport from any country. Even if they were not stateless, they would still be required to obtain a visa to travel to the United States, or show that they are eligible for admission pursuant to the terms of the Visa Waiver Pilot Program (VWPP). If found ineligible for a visa or the VWPP to come to the U.S., a renunciant, under certain circumstances, could be permanently barred from entering the United States. Nonetheless, renunciation of U.S. citizenship may not prevent a foreign country from deporting that individual back to the United States in some non-citizen status."

Rick
Utilizing iluvdr's fast-track method to Residencia and citizenship in the DR by using a lawyer who is "well connected" can result in being deemed a "man without a country" in the long run.