Visiting Jun '06, staying in Cabarete

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyaker1631

Mar 22, 2006
[U[/U]We will be visiting DR for the first time in late-June 2006 and will be staying at the Wyndham Tangerine in Cabarete. We will be traveling with our sons and their friends (4 older teens 17-18). One is an avid surfer who would like to try kiteboarding. We are all certified scuba divers and would like to do some diving/snorkeling. I opted for the AI since that is the easiest/cheapest way to feed these growing boys. I found most of the information I needed for the trip from searching the message board. However, I still have a few questions:

1) Is Encuentro Beach within walking distance of the Wyndham in Cabarete. I'm trying to convince him to rent a surfboard while there, instead of bringing his.
2) Is it possible to do shore dives in the area we will be staying. Can we do shore dives in Sosua Bay. The resort has kayaks, is it okay to paddle out and scuba dive (probably will have to anchor the kayaks somehow).
3) Who do you recommend for kiteboard lessons/rental that is in close proximity to the Wyndham resort in Cabarete
4) Should we book our activities before leaving or just wait to book them when we are there

Your input would be most appreciated. Thanks

kyaker1631

Mar 22, 2006
Thanks for the kiteboarding information, Gregg. Do you know if we can walk to Encuentro beach from Cabarete (Bozo Beach). From maps I have seen on the internet The Wyndham Tangerine is on Bozo Beach.

CommTHOR

Nov 7, 2005
I'm booked to stay at the Wyndham Tangerine in Cabarete the last week of April. I'll see if I can grab you some information/maps/whatever while I'm down there.

Encuentro Beach is to the west of the Viva Tangerine.

Encuentro - about 6 kilometres downwind (west) from Bozo Beach, encuentro is a $10 cab ride from the town of Cabarete. Until now, Encuentro was know strictly for epic surfing, but is now being organized as an alternate kitesurfing spot, much more quiet and open than its Bozo Beach or Kite Beach sisters! Other than some private houses and a soon to open kiter-friendly hotel, there are no services on Encuentro. It is beautiful and quiet!

http://www.kitexcite.com/cabareterooms/Rooms.asp?thekey=84

http://www.ozonetravel.com/Cabarete-kiteboarding-holidays.html

Denmay565

Dec 6, 2005
Viva Wyndham Tangerine

Couple of suggestions......The spa at the Wyndham is excellent and reasonably priced. If the teens like horse back riding, go to Gipsy's and do the horse back riding on the beach....like $28 US for two hours if I recall and it's not far from the hotel. From the Wyndham and facing the ocean make a right and walk the beach;then do a cut through into town and check out the quaint shops and establishments that Cabarete is noted for. Have fun...oh and try to make the shows at the Wyndham; some are better than others but all were entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.