Contract Job in DR

jimhe

Mar 26, 2006
I have been interviewing with a company based in NYC with a factory in the DR. It sounds like a good company and a good job. They are expanding their operations in the DR and need someone to set it up. The position would be a contract position for a period of one year.

I have gained a lot of knowledge reading scores of posts on this board. Additionally, I have done a lot of research on other sites. The DR really sounds like a good place for me to bring my family. Hopefully, some of you knowledgeable people can assist me with some questions so that I can competently negotiate a contract. [[ I have a lot of questions, just answer the things you can and ignore the rest. ]]

The company is relatively small and has not employed Americans at their DR facility in the past so they don't have any internal expertise. Since I will be a contract employee, I am being asked to help sort out how the contract should be written.

1) Does the Business Visa really only cost $15? Or is there some catch that I am missing?
2) I will have company sponsored housing at first but I need to rent something in the south or south-east part of the island shortly after my arrival. Somewhere near San Pedro, but not in San Pedro. Suggestions? I have a wife and three boys 15, 11 and 8.
3) Do any of you know about any good bilingual schools east of Santo Domingo? The SACS listing has only a couple outside of Santo Domingo and those are on the north side of the island.
4) I would prefer to lease a car for the one year period but it sounds like some of you think buying one and then selling it before we leave would be a good plan. I dislike the idea of being pressured to get it sold at the last minute. Do you know of any companies that might lease a vehicle for a one year period?
5) Lastly, I have read that some people are able to be excluded from import taxes for their property brought into the DR. My family and I will certainly have a variety of items to setup a home. Where can I learn more about how that tax system works?

Thanks so much for your help. Even if you know something about just one area I would appreciate reading what you have to say.

And, if things go well, I may have some job opportunities for some English speaking people.

Thanks,
Jim

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
To answer question #1. A Business visa is not a visa for you to work in the DR for a Dominican company. It is a visa for someone to enter the DR from another nation on business purposes. For example a rep. from an American company who wants to sell his product to Dominican distributors.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You Will Need At Least 60,000 US A Year To Live Comfortably Here!

Schools cost a lot more,housing is expensive.Transportation is expensive.Gasoline is 4.50 US a gallon!Food is expensive.How about Medical Ins. for the family??
Good Luck!! Keep asking questions!! CCCCCCC

jimhe

Mar 26, 2006
Thanks for the info

Thanks for the comments. I got a call today and I did get the contract. My contract will be with the USA office and I will be working in the DR office.

I appreciate the info on the visa. Since I will not be paid through the DR office I have been advised that I can get in with a business visa then apply for residency. That will give me the work permit status I will need when they convert the contract over to be with the DR office.

Criss, I appreciate your candor about the costs. From what I had read already it did not seem quite as expensive as you are indicating, but I trust your opinion more than books and websites.

Thanks again.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
You should do an initial visit and check out the area, the schools and the place generally. Then, take all your observations and ask many many questions on the board.

jimhe

Mar 26, 2006
Almost on my way

I will be arriving on April 10th. I will start work then and try to explore all the other things to prepare for my family's arrival around June 1. Luckily, I will have some co-workers to assist me initially.

But I will come back to you all for some of your insights once I know what questions I really have.

Thanks,
Jim

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
After You & Family Are "Settled In" for A Few Months,Let Us Hear

from you about your final costs?? Housing,Food,Electricity,Transportation,and Schooling are the "Killers".I own my home,two vehicles,steal electricity,and Cable TV,my 3 kids go to cheap Dominican Catholic schools,(# 4 only 2 y.o.)and I still go through over $2500 US a month!
"Go Get EM"! ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
There are some human resources companies that does all this for expats employees, if your company is going to pay for this service why not to give it a try.

Last week's meeting we had Grupo Tips on the Dominican Business Group. I will send you their contact info on a PM. Among other Human Resources services, they fix every single detail for expats relocations. From movings, they find housing, schools, maids, and so on.

Good luck

Jess