Teaching English as a second language

louisekilpatrick

Mar 18, 2006
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any information on the above?

Would this increase my chances of getting a job in the DR? Where would I look for a job like this?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Louise

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
What are your teaching credentials?

If you have a master's degree in TESOL or linguisitics or even English, and teaching experience, look at the universities.

If you have an education degree and credentials from the States (passed the Praxis and have a license) you can look in private schools.

If you have a degree and a certificate in ESL, you can look around and see what is available, and not expect great money or bennies.

As for the hiring process at local schools, I have no idea. I know of a private school in Puerto Plata that always takes native English speakers for a year or two to help them gain experience, but it is more for the person to gain experience in the language and culture, and less about a paycheck. They help you find housing, etc., but they also are a Christian school, and expect you to share the same beliefs and attend church. It is not for everyone.

Just my two cents.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
If you can wait for a while I suggest you go to a Search Associates or ISS job fair in February (ISS is by FAR the better of the two) if you are a certified teacher from any state in the US or prov. in Canada. When you are hired as a "foreign hire" by some of the bigger private schools on the island you get a good salary plus some good perks (housing, roundtrip plane ticket once per year, settling in allowence, etc.)

good luck

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can make your way here, that is for sure.
Berlitz, ELI, and a flock of other places can use good native speakers of English.
The Dominican-American Insititute usually hires native speakers. If you have some credentials, all the better and they open a lot more doors.

Good Luck

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
For those of you who teach English in the DR or hope to, here's an opportunity for professional development and networking with TESOL teachers from around the world.
It's free and online.

---------------
The CALL Interest Section of the international TESOL
professional association is pleased to offer the
opportunity to participate in the Electronic Village
Online (EVO) 2008 season. This is a professional
development project and virtual extension of the TESOL
2008 Convention in New York. The intended audience
for this project includes both TESOL 2008 participants
and those who can participate only virtually.

You do not need to be a TESOL member to participate in
a free , six-week , wholly online session of the EVO,
Jan 14 - Feb 24, 2008. Please visit our Announcement
Page to select one or two among the various offerings.

EVO 2008 Call for Participation wiki - For six weeks (Jan 14-Feb 24), partic...

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
If you are fluent in English (a native speaker) there are better paying jobs in SPM's Zona Franca for customer care positions (the customers are in the US). They are Full-time, full-year positions. PM me if you are interested.

fago

Feb 7, 2007
you could be easily hired but the point is that they pay very low wages.
Berlitz for example pays 98pesos x hour . Less than 3 dollars.