Little birdies

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
There are a couple of birds building a nest inside my house. They are the little tiny ones that are yellow underneath and dark brown or black otherwise, about the size of chickadees or maybe smaller.

They are building their nest in a chandelier that hangs over the stairwell. I think it's cute and I love to have them as guests but I am worried that after the nest is complete they may begin to defend it by pecking heads and we have a baby about to be a toddler in the house and this is near her play area.

Does anybody know what kind of birds these are, and if they are liable to get territorial after the nest is complete? It would be a simple thing to seal the window they come in through, but if there is little chance of us having a disagreement over stairwell access rights I will just let them stay.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Mr. Mike, sounds so sweet on the one hand. Would love to see pictures. Sorry I can't be of more help. Birds have strange mites on them, too--so be careful.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
I tried to take some pictures this morning

But by the time I got the camera out and ready they were done for the day, seems they only work on the nest in the very early morning.

I guess this means they are "early birds". ;)

Anybody know if Earlybirds are territorial?

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
GKC, what a great link,thanks for that! I was going to sayMrMike that you could very well have a Ciguita Juliana there --this vireo is very common. I wouldnt worry about any aggression. They are not at all like a redwing blackbird -- those can be really aggressive and will attack anything that even stands near a nest!

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
OK, I'm taking your word for it!

When I was a kid there was a bird's nest in a tree near the playground at school I used to get dive-bombed by an angry mommy bird every day on my way to school.

As long as that's not what happens in this case I'm fine to let the birds hang out. They are so small I though they were hummingbirds at first glance and the way they almost hover is really amazing.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
MrMike, I had a similar thing happened to me when I was a kid, hence the reference to the redwing blackbird. Thing dive bombed me like a kamikaze pilot, totally unnerved me -- I thought I had accidently stepped into a scene from The Birds, but with only one little bird! But the vireos here, in my experience so far, never seem to manifest anything more than a lot of nervous flitting about as they feed.

Now the parakeets that live outside my place here -- and there is a huge flock of them (right here in the middle of the city, I dont know why they are supposed to be endangered, they seem to be thriving!) -- these guys make a huge racket and pester the other birds. I like having them, but they are a raucous bunch.