Very silly question............

louisekilpatrick

Mar 18, 2006
Im ashamed to ask this cos its so stupid!
I wear contact lenses and was wondering how easy it is to get them in the DR?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Contact lenses are available in all optical stores. Can't tell you if your exact brand is available though, but I have see many of the popular brands available in the US such as Bausch & Lomb (sp?).

louisekilpatrick

Mar 18, 2006
Thanks

Thanks, thats good to know, I will need to look into it before I leave! I have specially made ones!!! Maybe best to get them shipped over in bulk!

Thanks!

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
One more bit of advice - bring in your own stock of spare lenses and contact solution. These are viewed by DR Aduanas as "luxury goods" and the prices here are out of sight! Most are available here in case of emergency, but plan ahead to save some pesos.

Sep 19, 2005
well I bought some contact lens solution over there. It didnt seem very exspensive at all. I know the pharmacy only sold two brands. both of which I have never heard of , and are obviously marketed to spanish speaking people. I never saw Boush and Lomb, or Optifree, or Renue over there at all!!!!!!!!!

I didnt check in the huge fod super market though, maybe they would carry more americanized stuff...i know they do when it comes to food products

good luck

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
What do you wear and I wil tell you if they are easy to get?

I use RGP's and I always have them shipped from the USA.
It's a fraction of the cost of what they ask here in the DR.
Plus I'm sure the DR does not have a lab to grind and polish contact lenses.

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
In POP I saw Opti-Free No Rub, which is what I use. Don't know the price though. But I can imagine it was expensive.

However, I was looking for eye drops, for contacts as I forgot to pack mine, and my eyes were really dried out from he Air Conditioning. And I went to a gazillion pharmacies, and Eye Glass stores, and couldn't find ay. hey keep showing my the Opti-free solution to soak you contacts in. I said no I need drops for my eyes! So if you have the same problem as me with your eyes drying out with the Air Conditioning, BRING DROPS!!!!!!!!

Lisa

stiggybaby

Jan 20, 2006
Hi,

I just got back from my first visit to the DR, and I came across the RENU no rub solution at Price Smart in Santiago. Price Smart is like Costco here in the US. You buy a membership card. The solution was very expensive though (about RD$1,200 = about $35 USD), so if you are staying for a month like I did, bring the big bottle, not the 2 oz. travel size.

louisekilpatrick

Mar 18, 2006
very useful

Thanks! all of this info has been very useful.

i wear toric lenses because i have a stigmatism, these are more expensive in Uk than usual lenses so wud imagine they will be well overpriced in DR.

Thanks for the info! I will definately be getting them shipped over!