Solar Water Heaters

jlw919

Sep 18, 2003
Anyone using a solar water heating system for their home? I have seen some units on roofs in my area of Santiago.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
bump

I think it's an interesting question and I would like to read on some experiences too. Solar is great an easy for tap water and shower in connection with a warm water reservoir of 200 Liter or so.
I have installed systems in Ecuador and in Germany, two fundamentally different locations with different climates... both worked beeter than well... actually, too well ;)

I hope some will share their experiences... J-D.

peso100

Feb 20, 2006
I have a Chinese one with double glass vacuum tubes which works excellent. Under some circumstances it starts boiling.
Best thing I ever invested in.
I am glad to give more info anytime.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
peso100 said:
I have a Chinese one with double glass vacuum tubes which works excellent. Under some circumstances it starts boiling.
Best thing I ever invested in.
I am glad to give more info anytime.
How much did the system cost? How long have you had it?

peso100

Feb 20, 2006
rellosk said:
How much did the system cost? How long have you had it?

I bought it in China myself for (yes, it is true!) US 150 a couple of years ago.
I took it to Miami on the ship I am working on, the transport from there was about the same.
No customs fees, solar heaters are free of charge.

Later on I checked on the Internet if they were easy available. I found the Chinese were now very organized in selling their stuff. There are lots of companies selling these heaters. In China I was told that only one or a very few manufacture the glass pipes, whereas many fit them into supporting frames with reflectors etc. All stainless steel.
The price is calculated very simple, the glass-pipe has a price so you just count the pipes in your desired model and voila!
There were two different pipe-lengths available.

The heaters are arranged in different systems:
One, for gravity use eg. a pressureless system. On top of the collecting tank is a small tank with only a floater valve inside which keeps the collector tank filled at all times. (Needs to be a little lower than your tinaco of coarse). In case you have a pump installed you can use this modell also, the floater valve controls it all.
That is the model of mine.

There are others which circulate the water through the collectortank, these are used mainly for room-heating purposes and require a accumulator tank which also would be in line with a boiler. Good for use in colder climates.

I installed my heater a few months ago (I was remodeling my house so I had it stored for more than a year) and I am extremely happy with it.
Official life length is said to be 15 years. Maybe the glass can crackle up a bit and become less efficient, I don?t know (yet) The only othe parts That could be aging are the silicone seals which keep the tubes tight inside the storage tank. (Guess they can be renewed)

As for the transport from China I was told they ship it on own vessels very cheap which I believe. (A Chinese captain makes a 150 - 200 US a month)

A few weeks ago I visited the French energy expo and one guy was showing practically the same model as I have. It was a company from Martenique and they were just checking our interest. They had none for sale.

jlw919

Sep 18, 2003
One more check

Is no one in Santiago using a large Solar water heating system that would supply a Jacuzzi tub et?