Saw Zacarias Ferreira in Brooklyn

bachataluv

Aug 16, 2005
I went to his show on Monday night at a Brooklyn Night Club. His performance was spectacular. He sang complete songs and sounded just like his recordings. His band was also very good.

Mr. Ferreira has a beautiful voice. He was very interactive with the crowd and seemed super friendly and normal.

I was surprised at how packed the place was considering that the show was on a Monday night. I took some photos, i'd post them but am unsure how to do so.

Luis Vargas is supposed to be performing in the Bronx this coming Saturday.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I'll guess they put a bit more effort in their concerts abroad. To go to the bachata stars concerts in DR is usually a hit or miss, sometimes they are great and sometimes they realy sucks.
I was at the two latest Raulin Rodriguez concerts in Sosua, the first was just fantastic, while the last one sucked big time.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I LOVE bachata and usually bachateros put on the best shows. They sing with such passion y se entriegan al publico. Have you guys ever seen Antony Santos live? Better than CDs.

I just saw Zacarias last Saturday along with To?o. I love merengue just like any other Domincan girl, but Zacarias put on such a better show that I could have gone home satisfied without waiting another hour for To?o...

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Still waiting-

Antony S, I am still waiting for that opportunity TallD. But from what I have seen on DVD has been impressive not only as a live performer but his guitar skills, the band, really excellent musicianship. His concert at United Palace in September 2004 is the DVD I am referring to. I would love to see a concert in the DR, NYC or Montreal. Any of those locations would mean the world to me especially NYC or Montreal because I agree with poster who said that artists tend to put on a better show when abroad.

Where did you see Antony S?

~LDG.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Lesley D said:
Antony S, I am still waiting for that opportunity TallD. But from what I have seen on DVD has been impressive not only as a live performer but his guitar skills, the band, really excellent musicianship. His concert at United Palace in September 2004 is the DVD I am referring to. I would love to see a concert in the DR, NYC or Montreal. Any of those locations would mean the world to me especially NYC or Montreal because I agree with poster who said that artists tend to put on a better show when abroad.

Where did you see Antony S?

~LDG.

When I was watching the DVD of Anthony Santos at United Palace I kept thinking the little girl (about 5 years old) in the front row looked familiar. When she was put up on stage with the groupies I swore I knew her. Then a few months later I am at my friend?s daughter?s first birthday party and the little girl is there as well. It then hit me that when I was the padrino of my friend?s wedding that the little girl?s mother was the madrina who works for Anthony Santos. Small world!

I?d love to see Anthony Santos live again ? there is something contagious about him even when he is kind of slacking off on the guitar or letting the crowd sing his songs.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
It's called talent-

Cool Chris. The world is small indeed!

That DVD is really a nice expos?/ intro in terms of the songs selected and a good example for those who don't know about bachata music. Especially Antony S style which is far from the commercialized form that has been pushed to the forefront today. The concert represents more of a 'raw', bachata del pueblo, grassroots potpourri style that I enjoy watching and have shared with a few people who just wanted to hear bachata that was not commercialized or mixed with rap, hip hop or English.

I loved the selection of bachatas but what really moved me was Antony S' version of an old time merengue "Los algodones".

~LDG.

jrzguy2

Sep 1, 2004
hmmmm...and where might i find this DVD?

and would folks please post when they hear of good gigs in the NYC area? pleeeease!! i tried to go to the reyes gig in the boogie down a couple of weeks ago..but by the time i got the location correct it was quite late and i dont have a car :-( I also missed raulin last year when he was in passiac..:-(

well..thanks in advance to anyone who posts accurate info...with hopefully a day or two advance notice (so i can get a ride :)

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
The DVD is available online- or in a Latin cd store-

I have seen the DVD on amazon.com and cd universe.com.

I bought it at a cd shop. You are a hop, skip and jump away from NYC. You can get it for sure! It's called Antony Santos at United Palace- 2004.

~LDG.

jrzguy2

Sep 1, 2004
Lesley D said:
I have seen the DVD on amazon.com and cd universe.com.

I bought it at a cd shop. You are a hop, skip and jump away from NYC. You can get it for sure! It's called Antony Santos at United Palace- 2004.

~LDG.

thanks lesley...as soon as i posted i googled and found it at barnes and noble

I actualy have this on CD...cant say that i am all that crazy about the cd...i want to hear HIM live....not his fans singing along...ya know? Its cute a couple of times...but from what i listened to on the cd it seemed to be nearly every song.

but i am sure i will go ahead and get it...perhaps it is a different experience watching it than just listening to it

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Does anybody know why they now often start with a tipico band before the Bachata concerts ? Do they assume that folks that like bachata also likes tipico ? I was at the Raulin Rodriguez concert in Sosua about two weeks ago, and he had a tipico band to play for two hours before he got on stage around 2 o'clock and gave a lousy 1 hour concert. For me it was almost like torture, while I love bachata, I can't stand tipico.
Now I see Yoskar Sarante will play in Sosua this saturday, I would like to go, but he also will have a tipico band to play first, and since it's impossible to know when he will start playing, I think I just drop to go there. If it wasnn't for the tipico band, I wouldn't mind waiting for 1 or 2 hours listen to various bachata and merengue and even Reggaton music, but I just don't take the chance once again to be caught with tipico music for 2 hours.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Filler time-

This is not only with bachata but with merengue and salsa too. It depends on how much 'show time' was negotiated and what was paid by the club owner or business persons to see the artist/band. I can only speak for bachata concerts outside of the DR but usually there is another local band that plays before the actual artist who the public paid to see. Thus far I have been lucky that all the filler bands that I have seen were good and I probably would have paid to see them anyway. As well, all the salsa concerts that I have been to the filler bands were salsa as well. Same with merengue. The t?pico band prior to a bachata band is interesting it could be as simple as not having another band (at a cheap cost) to perform and for promotional purposes too.

-LDG.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Tor - I hear you - I dont like Tipico that much. I like more modern tipico, more like Mambo (Julian, Aguakate, Jovany Polanco, etc).

Jersey Guy - Tropical in Passaic usually has good merengue and bachata bands live on Saturday... Listen to 97.9 and 105.9 FM on Thrusdays and Fridays - ALL day long they are advertising what is happening in the clubs and who is playing throughout the tri-state area.