East of SD or West

beano

Oct 29, 2003
The wife and I are looking for a laid back beach vacation the first 10 days of July. We have been to the North Coast many times, and we are looking for something different. We are not AI travellers. I don't have any problems with just showing up in a town and searching for accomodations. Bayahibe and Guayacanes look cool, but I was also wondering about east of SD. Would it be possible to "beach hop" on the east side of SD? thanks
sean

Sep 19, 2005
I think you have one tourist-vacation town on the shore that way....

from post I have read here it is difficult to find accomodations outside of that town. Baharona. You could do a search, which you probably have..

there are always places that cant or just wont advertise on the web to stay. But they probably dont have huge investments in accomodations for the travelor..........it may depend on what degree of roughing it you are up for!

read this:
http://dr1.com/travel/barahona/

bob

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
You did say EAST didn't you? That would include Boca Chica, Juan Dolio and Bayahibe, then possibly on to Bavaro/Punta Cana. Barahona is WEST. On the way there are supposedly some great beaches, and I believe "laid back" would probably apply, but that portion of the country is not (yet) tourist oriented, and like bob said, there may be accomodations there, but you probably won't find them on the internet. Check the Rough Guide.

Sep 19, 2005
well he words it that he wants to look on the opposite side of SD as bayahibe!

bayahibe is on one side, baharona is on the OTHER side.....

it is a given that there are a ton of places to stay east of SD... and few west.....

but hopefully in the end he will get his info

bob

beano

Oct 29, 2003
Thanks

I appreciate the input. I have done quite a bit of research on both sides of SD, and it looks like heading east from SD would offer more options. We just don't want to get caught in the middle of the tour packages coming from Punta Cana and LaRomana. Are all of the palm fringed white sand beaches to the east? Otherwise, it would be the aforementioned locales of Bayahibe, etc.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Dont be too sure -- west of SD there are some nice beaches and hardly any tourists get over there. South of Azua over around Las Salinas there are nice places and Barahona also has a beautiful coast, though it is rocky and the waves are rough. I like that area alot though.

I posted an answer toyour query about bayahibe on the other thread. Bayahibe is Ok but it si all AI territory. Check out Boca de Yuma.