Car Rental Company experiences on the North Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Ive searched through the various threads on renting a car in the DR and didn't really see anything that lists in one place, experiences with particular rental companies. Irented from two companies, and would like to see people's experiences with others.

Prestige: I rented a small SUV, it was a Dahaitsu Terios for 2 days. Cool car, but VERY small, especially for a 4x4...We dealt with Tim (TiminDR from this board) who is American. I believe his family owns the business, but he is no longer working with them. They were running a "special" for $50/day with taxes and insurance. They came and picked us up in Sosua and took us to their office at the Wyndham Tangerine in Cabarete. The car was brand new - had about 250 miles on it. They were very nice, and professional. They came and picked it up from Sosua at the end of the rental. Excellent experience all around.

Savings Car Rental: Was referred to Yohanne at this company from a friend. Have rented from them three times now. $35/day for a Suzuki Sport SUV, with taxes and insurance included. You can negotiate a better rate if paying cash, or for longer rentals. They are located at POP and will pick you up in Sosua, PP, etc. While the people and company are nice and professional, their vehicles are older and not in the greatest shape...and the gas tanks are *below* empty when you pick it up, and that's how they expect you to drop it off... obviously you dont have to, but you don't get any type of "credit" for extra gas in the tank when you drop it off! Yohanne is really a pleasure to deal with, speaks very good English, and for longer rentals, you can work out a great deal. Also, while the cars may be a little "rough around the edges" I haven't had a mechanical problem with any of them. I'm not sure what level of coverage they are including, probably a good idea to ask!

Last edited:

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
janssoncarina.blogspot.com
We have rented 3 times from Avis and 2 times from Prestige.

Avis: Can't complaint about their service, but we have always had bad luck with their cars. They are not always in the best condition. Every time we have rented from them we have had to get the car repaired or changed more than once. The last time we rented from them we had to change the car two times in one day. Usually if you get a problem with the car they send a mechanic within a half hour or try to repair the car if you can take to their office in POP. Furthermore it is not easy to get a good deal with them, and the paperwork takes forever.

Prestige: We have been very pleased with the service we have got from Prestige. Their cars are in good condition too. Their prices are better than Avis' prices and you can get a good deal with them. Their personnel is very friendly and speaks good english, which is very important if you don't speak spanish yourself. From now on we will continue to rent from Prestige.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Do either one of you have contact information for Prestige. I didn't find it in the Dominican Yellow Pages.

JD

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
Universal Car Rental

I've rented from Universal in Cabarete twice so far. Paid approx $55/day (incl. tax and ins.) for a Suzuki Vitara. Rates negotiable for cash and duration. Cars were fairly new and in very good condition. Drove the first one roundtrip from POP to Las Terrenas - no problems. Dairy Veras, the owner, speaks excellent English and French and is a pleasure to deal with. On my last trip they picked us up at STI and drove us back to Cabarete then dropped us back at STI when we left - the pickup was right on time and no extra charge either way. In my book these are good people. They are located right at the center of town in Cabarete and you can book online at www.universalcarrental.com

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Let me make sure I'm clear, MM, they picked you up in the capitol and took you to Cabarete?! If I'm clear, how much was the cost for that service?

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
That's right, picked up and dropped off at Santiago Airport - no extra charge. It's a good deal, no question. This is especially true if, like me, you're not so sure about following the somewhat complicated (but quite detailed) directions available here on DR-1 for the largely unmarked route between STI and Sabaneta/Cabarete.

Nomad

Feb 2, 2006
DavidZ said:
Ive searched through the various threads on renting a car in the DR and didn't really see anything that lists in one place, experiences with particular rental companies. Irented from two companies, and would like to see people's experiences with others.

Prestige: I rented a small SUV, it was a Dahaitsu Terios for 2 days. Cool car, but VERY small, especially for a 4x4...We dealt with Tim (TiminDR from this board) who is American. I believe his family owns the business, but he is no longer working with them. They were running a "special" for $50/day with taxes and insurance. They came and picked us up in Sosua and took us to their office at the Wyndham Tangerine in Cabarete. The car was brand new - had about 250 miles on it. They were very nice, and professional. They came and picked it up from Sosua at the end of the rental. Excellent experience all around.

Savings Car Rental: Was referred to Yohanne at this company from a friend. Have rented from them three times now. $35/day for a Suzuki Sport SUV, with taxes and insurance included. You can negotiate a better rate if paying cash, or for longer rentals. They are located at POP and will pick you up in Sosua, PP, etc. While the people and company are nice and professional, their vehicles are older and not in the greatest shape...and the gas tanks are *below* empty when you pick it up, and that's how they expect you to drop it off... obviously you dont have to, but you don't get any type of "credit" for extra gas in the tank when you drop it off! Yohanne is really a pleasure to deal with, speaks very good English, and for longer rentals, you can work out a great deal. Also, while the cars may be a little "rough around the edges" I haven't had a mechanical problem with any of them. I'm not sure what level of coverage they are including, probably a good idea to ask!

While I just use guagua's and moto-conch's, I have a friend who uses the internet to rent from Budget on the internet and pays $38 a day. Not sure about insurance etc....Probably not. He has driven all over DR. No problem. Picks it up at POP, from the Budget Rental office.

There are other options to renting a car. Caribe Tours has excellent service. Depends on what you.

Nomad

PabloPaul

Dec 21, 2006
www.myspace.com
Kayak rental on the POP malecon... 40$USD a day for a new suzuki vitara V6 including insurance, paid w/cash. Good car but very small company. Don't have the number but it was a good experience. Rented same vehicle the next visit from a place I can't remember the name of on the first major roundabout thingy or traffic circle near the POP stadium. The car was bashed up and when I got back they wanted an extra 50$ for supposed damage that it already had and not from me. Kind of sucked but how could I really argue when the whole thing was falling apart anyways.
Hmmm...
: p.

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
In August/September and December, we rented jeeps from the car hire company in Breezes...first time with the help of Edgar the car guy. We got a gorgeous black jeep with blacked out windows for $35 a day. In December, we had the help of lovely Raoul who got us a red jeep for $35 a day...think we may have negotiated a bit less than $490 for 2 weeks as we bribed him with Benedicta. He was such a great guy who didnt mind when we lost one of the wing mirrors...oops!! Got it fixed for like 400 pesos though. Bargain!!
Im renting another jeep in 27 days for 2 weeks....dont know who off though as my bf is sorting it for me...again, it will be $35 a day.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The car was bashed up and when I got back they wanted an extra 50$ for supposed damage that it already had and not from me. Kind of sucked but how could I really argue when the whole thing was falling apart anyways.
Hmmm...
: p.
May I suggest to always bring your digicam at the point of rental and take a dozen photos or so, of every angle on the vehicle.
This alone, will disuade them from targeting you and will certainly prove your point, if you are not responsible for the damages being claimed against you, at the point of return.

Status
Not open for further replies.