Bayahibe

beano

Oct 29, 2003
I have been reading quite a bit on the south coast. We travelled there a few years ago, but only to BC, which really wasn't my cup of tea. Does Bayahibe have a feel similar to Cabarete? I like small beach towns, without a load of tourists, which I know is pretty much impossible to find these days. I've been to the DR 7-8 times, but always go north. Just looking for something different. Otherwise, I'll stick with the Lonely Planet book. thanks.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
First of all, I recommend the Rough Guide to DR/Haiti, by Sean Harvey instead of the LonelyPlanets. The book is notably more helpful on some matters and has lots of interesting background.

I dont think Bayahibe is comparable to Cabarete, but maybe if you head toward Boca De Yuma,w hich is a nice area. Bayahibe, so far as I know, is still pretty much just AIs, while Cabarete gives you a range of options. I stayed at Club Dominicus a few years back and I liked it just fine, but still it is an AI, and while I was free to walk up and down the coastline, there wasnt much else right there besides the resort. You can head to La Romana, Altos de Chavon, and other such places, but they are not within walking distance by any means.

Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed my stay there and I liked the beach, but in terms of ambience and the setup, the area around bayahibe seems very different from Cabarete.

You might try going to Las Salinas and the beaches just south of Azua. That part of the southern coast has very few tourists, and I think it is really nice.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
You might also try Juan Dolio......
Small beach town, lots of 'guest houses', rooms to rent outside of AI's,
Close to the capital or tours to Isla Catalina, Saona, etc.
Good base for day trips....

beano

Oct 29, 2003
East of SD it is

Well, I guess we've decided to head east on our mini adventure, possibly stopping to rent a motorcycle in BC, or could that be accomplished in Bayahibe or JD? Eventhough we travel with just carryon packs, the wife just doesn't want to rough it too much, and wants white sand beaches, even at the cost of being crowded with other tourists. Maybe we'll hit the west of SD next trip. The last question...What's the cost of a Presidente, at a colmado these days on the south coast? Thanks, and I'll continue my homework.
sean

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Definitely head east. The best beach is the public beach between Dominicus Palace and the Iberostar Hacienda. Then there is Bayahibe town, where you can stay for cheap. There are many non- all inclusive hotels. Just check them out one by one. Then take the road and head to Boca de Yuma and spend a night or two there. There is a place called El Viejo Pirata, there. Worth a trip. Take the boat trip up the river, and then to the small beach across. Wild bachata dancing in the night. Bring a flashlight and visit the Berna Cave. Take a swim in the spring on the way to the cave. Also visit the Ponce de Leon house in San Rafael de Yuma, on the road north.

Juan Dolio is full of great restaurants.