cheapest way to call D.R. from states

viejosucio

Mar 18, 2006
I just returned and have been spending a fortune on phone cards. Does anyone know the cheapest way to call the D.R. from the states Providence R.I. Spefically.
Thanx in advance.
Im currently getting about an hour for a ten dollar card.

nebraskamom

May 4, 2005
use skype

go to www.skype.com and purchase a phone number in the local area code of the people calling to the DR for about $20 a year and then they call a local number and it doesn't cost a dime and it rings on your computer here in the DR like a telephone. you'll need a microphone and headset for about $10. anyone in the world can call that number from any phone in the world and you will get it here in the DR while they only pay for a call to whatever area code you chose. you can actually buy up to 10 numbers in 10 different area codes or countries all to go straight to your computer. just remember to unplug the headset when you are done or you won't hear the phone ring. it includes a voicemail too if you miss it.

nebraskamom

May 4, 2005
skype clarification

the person in the DR needs to have the computer, get the number, and answer using a mic and headset. hope that is possible for you.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
viejosucio said:
I just returned and have been spending a fortune on phone cards. Does anyone know the cheapest way to call the D.R. from the states Providence R.I. Spefically.
That answer depends on your calling habits:

• Are you calling to a land line or a cell phone? (Most calling cards and some phone plans charge more for calling to a cell phone in the DR).
  • Will that person always be there most every time you call? (some cards have connection fees)
  • About how much time you will be on for each call? (some calling cards bill in 3 minute increments, others in 20 second increments).
  • Does the person your calling have a computer? (If so then maybe you can use Skype or Vonage.
  • Are you always calling from the same phone? (If so you can sign up for a long distance plan like www.kissld.com)

The www.plan809.com that another poster suggested sounds good, but I think the calls must originate from the DR and the service is only available in Santo Doming.

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
From the US to a DR cell phone.

The cheapest option, so far, have been calling cards like Fabuloso (available thru uniontelecard.com) and La Habladora, with price per minute between .07 and .09 cents.

Also, try out pincity.com I get charged 0.106 cents per minute to a DR cell phone with a one minute rounding. You can set up your account to be pinless and just enter the phone number you want to call.

viejosucio

Mar 18, 2006
Thanx to all! after careful consideration of all options i have found that the best option "for my situation" was pincity.com., since i will be calling a cell phone in the D.R.