Jeeps - Most Economical?

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
I have rented various makes of jeep in the DR on my many visits and will finally get around to buying my own in early June (at last!)

I am just doing a little research into the most economical models/makes. I have driven a RAV4, Grand Vitara & Honda CRV in the past and found the RAV4 to be the most juicy on gas, followed by the Grand Vitara, with the Honda being the most economical to run. Although I am wondering whether the RAV4 I rented had a problem as others have told me that they are known to be economical on gas??:paranoid:

I appreciate that fuel efficiency depends on many factors incl age, engine size etc etc. and athough I don't know the exact engine sizes of those mentioned above I can tell you that they were all 3/4 yrs old and none were sports models (not sure how helpful that info is lol!)

Can anyone tell me which make of jeep they have found to be most economical from their own experience? (doesn't have to be any of those mentioned above)

I was swaying towards the Honda from my own personal experience however I just wanted to get some of your opinions.....seeing as I was only renting for short periods I have no idea about costs of parts etc if anything were to go wrong.

Think that just about covers it - thanks in advance ;)

Looking to spend around $350-$400k pesos.

Daydream.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Montero sport

I was going to recommend you try out a Montero Sport. This is the kind I always rent when I'm visiting. It works out really well for me.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I think that you are right, that regardless of any advertized mileage stats, the CRV is the most efficient.
It is based on a car chassis and may be a fair bit lighter than the others.
I have known them to be reliable and have good ground clearance.
That being said, it may be a better idea to keep your mind open to the other 2 models as well, in the event that you run accross a particularly good deal.
The difference of what you might spend on gas annualy will not be that much.

El_cubano

Dec 1, 2005
daydream said:
I have rented various makes of jeep in the DR on my many visits and will finally get around to buying my own in early June (at last!)

I am just doing a little research into the most economical models/makes. I have driven a RAV4, Grand Vitara & Honda CRV in the past and found the RAV4 to be the most juicy on gas, followed by the Grand Vitara, with the Honda being the most economical to run. Although I am wondering whether the RAV4 I rented had a problem as others have told me that they are known to be economical on gas??:paranoid:

I appreciate that fuel efficiency depends on many factors incl age, engine size etc etc. and athough I don't know the exact engine sizes of those mentioned above I can tell you that they were all 3/4 yrs old and none were sports models (not sure how helpful that info is lol!)

Can anyone tell me which make of jeep they have found to be most economical from their own experience? (doesn't have to be any of those mentioned above)

I was swaying towards the Honda from my own personal experience however I just wanted to get some of your opinions.....seeing as I was only renting for short periods I have no idea about costs of parts etc if anything were to go wrong.

Think that just about covers it - thanks in advance ;)

Looking to spend around $350-$400k pesos.

Daydream.

DaimlerCrysler is the only automaker that makes the Jeeps;) Honda, Toyota, Suzuki don't make Jeeps.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Nissan Terrano......

We had decided last spring to buy a CRV when we returned to the island this year.
However, when we arrived in Dec. and started looking, we found a Nissan Terrano, 4x4, diesel, 4 cylinder that is very economical to operate.
Great mileage, handle rough terrain VERY well and parts are easy to obtain (Pathfinder parts are the same).
It's larger than a CRV so the cargo space comes in handy.
You might want to have a look at these vehicles as well.

Ours cost RD$450,000 but there were cheaper available depending on age and condition. We made our decision based on the year 2000, 36000km. mileage and excellent condition of the vehicle.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Thanks

Thank you for your replies.

I will certainly look into those other makes & models you have recommended.......I have never seen a Daihatsu Terios before! Do you find many in the DR, JDJones?

I am with you on the whole keeping your mind open to a few different models Marco - I know that often its a case of what's around at the time and how good a deal you can negotiate.

It's still good to hear people's opinions/experiences.

Another question - how much is car tax?

Thanks again
Daydream.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Tax

It's not exactly tax, insomuch as registering the vehicle in your name, and it depends on the engine size, more than anything.
It should cost you anywhere from 5,000 to 12,000 pesos.
Mommc's post exemplifies why it is worth keeping your mind open to various brands and models. If you look for a specific vehicle, it becomes a seller's market, whereas if you are open to a wide variety, it becomes a buyer's market.
To comment on the Terios, it is a much lower line vehicle and the price would reflect it. The ride is less than secure in corners, a bit noisy and gutless.
There is nothing particularly wrong with it, other than it's lower grade, and cheap vehicles are not as pleasant to own, and often cost you more in the long run.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Cheaper doesn't mean better

I am agreeing with Marco that simply because a model is economical doesn't mean it is the best model to buy. Depending on what you use your SUV for and where you go with it will depend on what is best for you.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
PapaTony likes his Nissan Terrano so much he's decided to buy one when we get home to Canada (only there it will have to be a Pathfinder, which is really the same thing, 'cause we don't get Terrano's in Canada). If you read my blog you'll know his car was totalled by a lil ole lady shortly before we left to come down for the winter!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The refernece to a Jeep by the OP is just another way of saying an SUV, or as they call it here, a Jeepeta.
I know that Jeep is a brand name, as Kleenex is, and so is Band-Aid, but I think we all know what the OP was refering to.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hey, I've had 2 Daihatsu trucks and was very satisfied with the usage.
They were reliable and inexpensive to run, however their long term durability would not be as good as a better brand name, and the discomfort driving these vehicles for 6 years, was unpleasant and backbreaking.
When I finally no longer needed a truck and bought a Toyota Camry, I thought I had died and gone to heaven.
My last 2 vehicles were a fully equipped Oldsmobile 98 and now a Lexus and I am so glad to not have to drive around in a tin can.
I do understand the need and usefulness of inexpensive economical vehicles, but I have been trying to stay on track with the OP's questions, rather than get into a debate as to who considers which vehicle the best deal.
The OP mentioned a Honda CRV, a Toyota Rav4 and a Suzuki Jeep/SUV.
All of the above are midrange decent brand, fairly luxurious and durable vehicles. I assume he/she is not looking for a cheapie, nor a top of the line Lincoln or Cadillac, so I and others are trying to assist the OP in making a good sound decision and am not trying to impose my personal taste or opinions on vehicles.
It is difficult at times to answer the OP's questions, without it getting sidetracked and have it turn into a controversy.
I often look at a thread and don't bother answering, even though I know the reply, because I can anticipate how it's all going to turn into a big debate, and, sometimes, I just don't have the time or energy to get into debates.
PS: Driving through the curvy mountain roads in a Terios gave me a loose bowell syndrome for 3 days.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Rocky said:
It's not exactly tax, insomuch as registering the vehicle in your name, and it depends on the engine size, more than anything.
It should cost you anywhere from 5,000 to 12,000 pesos.

So this is just a one off payment then? That's not so bad :classic:

DominicanScotty said:
I am agreeing with Marco that simply because a model is economical doesn't mean it is the best model to buy. Depending on what you use your SUV for and where you go with it will depend on what is best for you.

I won't necessarily be using it to drive through rough terain all that much - I really want a jeep for the safety aspect in terms of being able to handle the dominican road conditions better. It will be used to drive around the North Coast with the occassional trip further afield.

Driving in the DR is not for the faint hearted and I just feel a lot safer in a jeep than in a car. I have friends who have repeatedly put their cars out of action due to driving into potholes and such (some may debate this is more to do with how proficient you are at driving but I don't want to go off on that tangent! :D ). Jeeps/CRV's/4 wheel drives, call them what you wish, are built to handle such situations much better.

Yes, I am looking at a mid range vehicle that I can rely on not to let me down, something which isn't a gas guzzler and for which parts can be easily sourced for a reasonable price. I always take good care of my vehicles - it's important so as to maintain their value when it comes to selling them on.

Thanks again for all of your replies I will definitely take into consideration your recommendations in my search.

Daydream

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
daydream said:
So this is just a one off payment then? That's not so bad :classic:
That is correct and yearly renewals are negligible.

daydream said:
I won't necessarily be using it to drive through rough terain all that much - I really want a jeep for the safety aspect in terms of being able to handle the dominican road conditions better. It will be used to drive around the North Coast with the occassional trip further afield.
Unless you live on a particularly bad road that would destroy a car, there is little need to have an all out all terrain vehicle, and I do like the ground clearance aspect of SUV's, as they are so much more forgiving through potholes, accross speedbumps and on bumpy roads. I say this, when I drive a low slung sporsts car, but the racer in me is stronger than the practical me.

daydream said:
Driving in the DR is not for the faint hearted and I just feel a lot safer in a jeep than in a car. I have friends who have repeatedly put their cars out of action due to driving into potholes and such (some may debate this is more to do with how proficient you are at driving but I don't want to go off on that tangent! :D ). Jeeps/CRV's/4 wheel drives, call them what you wish, are built to handle such situations much better.

Yes, I am looking at a mid range vehicle that I can rely on not to let me down, something which isn't a gas guzzler and for which parts can be easily sourced for a reasonable price. I always take good care of my vehicles - it's important so as to maintain their value when it comes to selling them on.

Daydream
With your open minded attitude, you will easily find something to satisfy you & your needs.

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Diesel Engine! ! Standard Transmission ! !

I strongly suggest a small SUV with a diesel engine & standard 5-speed transmission.
* Almost all small SUVs come with an optional diesel engine. Few are imported into the DR??
* All SUVs to the best of my knowledge, are available with optional 5-speed transmissions in most countries. Virtually none are imported into the DR?
* Diesel fuel is @ 90 Pesos / gallon; it's always much cheaper than gasoline.
* I've owned a small Hyundai SUV, diesel engine, for 2 years. I'm very pleased. Why do I recommend this combination? Cheaper fuel, lower engine maintence costs, approx. the same engine power, & much better control of the SUV under adverse road conditions - ie normal roads in the DR.
* Food for thought: I recently saw a Chinese manufactured SUV, for sale in Santiago, new. The wave of the future? The next Japan? Worth a sniff? Good huntng! I always found buying a new or used car or SUV a pleasant experience, even in the DR. My 2 cents - for what it's worth.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
gringosabroso said:
I strongly suggest a small SUV with a diesel engine & standard 5-speed transmission.
* Almost all small SUVs come with an optional diesel engine. Few are imported into the DR??
* All SUVs to the best of my knowledge, are available with optional 5-speed transmissions in most countries. Virtually none are imported into the DR?
* Diesel fuel is @ 90 Pesos / gallon; it's always much cheaper than gasoline.
* I've owned a small Hyundai SUV, diesel engine, for 2 years. I'm very pleased. Why do I recommend this combination? Cheaper fuel, lower engine maintence costs, approx. the same engine power, & much better control of the SUV under adverse road conditions - ie normal roads in the DR.

I hear what you are saying about the advantages of the diesel & 5 speed combination, however it looks like my chances of finding a decent one to purchase second hand are close to none. I have seen very few cars/jeeps in the DR that have a 5 speed transmission. Why is that?

Rocky said:
I say this, when I drive a low slung sporsts car, but the racer in me is stronger than the practical me.

I find the roads in Sosua to be not so bad in terms of potholes (in the town anyhow) compared to say, Puerto Plata town centre. So which stretch of road do you get to put your foot down and race your sports car on then? :cheeky:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
daydream said:
I hear what you are saying about the advantages of the diesel & 5 speed combination, however it looks like my chances of finding a decent one to purchase second hand are close to none. I have seen very few cars/jeeps in the DR that have a 5 speed transmission. Why is that?
I think that every single vehicle I have owned here, other than my automatic Honda Accord, had a 5 speed, either standard or automatic.
Diesels are becoming more common, but probably the reason you see less than you might expect, is that the Dominicans convert most of their high usage vehicles to propane.
PS: Diesel engines will last longer than propane converted gas engines.
daydream said:
I find the roads in Sosua to be not so bad in terms of potholes (in the town anyhow) compared to say, Puerto Plata town centre. So which stretch of road do you get to put your foot down and race your sports car on then? :cheeky:
Through the mountains, eeyyaahhhhh
PS: They have started fixing a lot of the roads in Puerto Plata, and the Malecon is a great race track, vrooooooooooommmmm

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Rocky said:
I think that every single vehicle I have owned here, other than my automatic Honda Accord, had a 5 speed, either standard or automatic.
Diesels are becoming more common, but probably the reason you see less than you might expect, is that the Dominicans convert most of their high usage vehicles to propane.
PS: Diesel engines will last longer than propane converted gas engines.

Through the mountains, eeyyaahhhhh
PS: They have started fixing a lot of the roads in Puerto Plata, and the Malecon is a great race track, vrooooooooooommmmm

Apologies - I meant to add in the word 'manual/standard' to my sentence about not seeing many in the DR - most vehicles seem to be automatic?

Yes the malecon looks great now. I can imagine it attracts many boy racers such as yourself ;) I wonder whether they have any plans to put speed bumps on it at any point in the near future? Hmm..