--cell phones again sorry

JoeJoe

Mar 6, 2006
I am going to Santo Domingo for five months.. I need to get a cheap phone that will allow me to talk to my friends in the Dominican .. and also recieve phone calls from Canada. I don't have much money and you were mentioning in the other thread that you can bring a cell phone from your country and use it there. I have a bell cell phone already.. but the contract will be done before I leave for the Dominican. Is there anyway to activate it again in the Dominican? Its an audiovox phone (not sure if that matters) and how much money per month do you think I'm looking at using on a cell phone there?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
If your phone is a GSM phone, you can activate it with Orange. If it is CDMA with Verizon DR. You will get a Dominican phone #, and should be able to call Canada for the same price as a call across the street, about 6 pesos a minute, using a prepaid card.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
sweetdbt said:
If your phone is a GSM phone, you can activate it with Orange. If it is CDMA with Verizon DR. You will get a Dominican phone #, and should be able to call Canada for the same price as a call across the street, about 6 pesos a minute, using a prepaid card.
And incoming calls will be free.

VanessaLee13

Mar 24, 2006
So how exactly do you go about activating a GSM phone with Orange? Do you get a SIM card for the Orange network and then just buy prepaid cards? Can you activate with Orange before leaving the States (or Canada in JoeJoe's case), or do you need to wait until you get to the DR? I have some links where you can buy a prepaid card or a SIM card online, but I am still not 100% sure how this all works.

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
VanessaLee13 said:
So how exactly do you go about activating a GSM phone with Orange? Do you get a SIM card for the Orange network and then just buy prepaid cards? Can you activate with Orange before leaving the States (or Canada in JoeJoe's case), or do you need to wait until you get to the DR? I have some links where you can buy a prepaid card or a SIM card online, but I am still not 100% sure how this all works.

You need to be in DR (not the US) to buy the SIM card and activate the phone by buying pre paid phone cards (When you buy the SIM card, you get a 100 peso card). After buying the SIM card and have a cell number, while you are in DR, you can maintain your account by putting minutes in your phone.

And, before leaving DR and are already in the US or Canada, you can get a phone card in DR to continue to reload your account (which can be done by calling an 809 number and inputing the card pin number and your cell number), in case you cannot reload it within 2 months or else you lose your number.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
cell phones

JoeJoe said:
I am going to Santo Domingo for five months.. I need to get a cheap phone that will allow me to talk to my friends in the Dominican .. and also recieve phone calls from Canada. I don't have much money and you were mentioning in the other thread that you can bring a cell phone from your country and use it there. I have a bell cell phone already.. but the contract will be done before I leave for the Dominican. Is there anyway to activate it again in the Dominican? Its an audiovox phone (not sure if that matters) and how much money per month do you think I'm looking at using on a cell phone there?
you can purchase cell phones here at hundreds of stores for 300 pesos or less,get a card for any amount you want from 50 pesos...or more and throw it away when you leave or keep it for another trip...I just got a star tac for 345 peso with 300 pesos in calling time....total 45 pesos with verizon...store on el conde...but duarte has at least 30 stores with cheap cell phones...
bob

VanessaLee13

Mar 24, 2006
ElvisNYC said:
You need to be in DR (not the US) to buy the SIM card and activate the phone by buying pre paid phone cards (When you buy the SIM card, you get a 100 peso card). After buying the SIM card and have a cell number, while you are in DR, you can maintain your account by putting minutes in your phone.

And, before leaving DR and are already in the US or Canada, you can get a phone card in DR to continue to reload your account (which can be done by calling an 809 number and inputing the card pin number and your cell number), in case you cannot reload it within 2 months or else you lose your number.

Sounds good. How much does the SIM card cost initially, how much are minutes calling within the DR and also to the US, and anyone have any recommendations on where in Sosua (or at an airport) I can get an Orange SIM?
I think that about covers my many questions. Thanks so much for your patience and info!
Vanessa

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
VanessaLee13 said:
Sounds good. How much does the SIM card cost initially, how much are minutes calling within the DR and also to the US, and anyone have any recommendations on where in Sosua (or at an airport) I can get an Orange SIM?
I think that about covers my many questions. Thanks so much for your patience and info!
Vanessa

SIM card costs 350 pesos, includes a 100 pesos prepaid card.
Orange to anywhere in DR RD$0.13
Orange to Orange phone RD$0.10
Orange to USA,PR,Canada RD$0.13

Rates are per second !

I cannot say where you can get a SIM card in Sosua or Santiago aiport, because I had purchased it in the city (Santiago).

Last edited:

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
Sosua (Orange authorized dealer)

Net Service 809-571-4081
Plaza Colonial en la Calle Alejo Mart?nez # 1 (al lado del Banco Popular)

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
ElvisNYC said:

I cannot say where you can get a SIM card in Sosua or Santiago aiport, because I had purchased it in the city (Santiago).

Those prices have to be in USD, not RD. RD$0.13 is less than half a penny US!

VanessaLee13

Mar 24, 2006
sweetdbt said:
Those prices have to be in USD, not RD. RD$0.13 is less than half a penny US!

Haha, I was just assuming that it was RD$13. Which is only a little more expensive than the Verizon phone places. I was paying a little less than RD$10 to call the US (actually about RD$9.2. . . but I always wondered, do they even use a coin less than the 1 peso? Cause if the amount fell in between, they just rounded up or down. So I just thought it was funny that they even used the .2.). But if it is US$0.10/minute, that is even better! :)

Are incoming calls free?

Vanessa

VanessaLee13

Mar 24, 2006
ElvisNYC said:
Sosua (Orange authorized dealer)

Net Service 809-571-4081
Plaza Colonial en la Calle Alejo Mart?nez # 1 (al lado del Banco Popular)

Thank you, thank you, thank you. :)

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
cell phone

ElvisNYC said:

you do not need to buy a sim card if you buy the cheap phone at a store...they activate it for free,and you just need to buy the cards....they give you your number right there in 10 minutes or less...and you are on your way....
bob

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
Sorry, I corrected the amount which is per second. I forgot to include it and how it's shown on the orange pamphlet I got !

VanessaLee13

Mar 24, 2006
jaguarbob said:
you do not need to buy a sim card if you buy the cheap phone at a store...they activate it for free,and you just need to buy the cards....they give you your number right there in 10 minutes or less...and you are on your way....
bob

I already have a GSM phone that will work in the DR. So I would rather just get the SIM card and use my own phone instead of having to buy another phone. Thanks though, I will consider this an option if I do decide to leave my phone home. :)

VanessaLee13

Mar 24, 2006
ElvisNYC said:
Yes, the are !

Very nice!
And with the rate being RD$0.13 per second, that is even better than the rate I was getting at the Verizon phone store, with the added convenience of not having to find a place to call.
Now I will just have to hope the coverage with Orange is better than I have heard some people complain about! :)

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
The other option is Centennial they use CDMA 1x Network, and Discount every weekend 50% the price per minute in the prepaid service, same price to call to USA, CANADA, PUERTO RICO, and DR, so if you will be in the coverage area of Centennial is better option.

This services come with the activation
Incoming calls free
Voice mail free
Double line free

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
cell phone

VanessaLee13 said:
I already have a GSM phone that will work in the DR. So I would rather just get the SIM card and use my own phone instead of having to buy another phone. Thanks though, I will consider this an option if I do decide to leave my phone home. :)

just a suggestion...if your phone is an expensive one,and you really like it,I would leave it at home...the second most popular sport here is stealing cell phones....better to loose a cheap one than one you may like....
bob