Citizenship Confusion

slimshade328

Dec 4, 2005
Hi. I have read all the information on this board re: citizenship, but there is something missing.

According to the following laws, a person can apply for CITIZENSHIP after resided in DR for 6 months if he/she forms a business or buys property also. This particular law mentions NOTHING about "after having obtained legal domicile (permanent residence card). So, why do you all say Provisional (12 mo) + Permanent + 6 mo = citizenship?

Law 1683 dated 1948 and its modifications establishes that a person is eligible to obtain Dominican nationality after:

Having resided in the country for at least six months after having obtained legal domicile (permanent residence card).
Having resided continually in the country for at least two years.
------>Having resided continually in the country for at least six months and having formed a business or purchased real estate.
Having served in the Dominican Armed Forces.
Have obtained a special concession from the President which may be granted for having served the DR with merit.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
slimshade328 said:
Hi. I have read all the information on this board re: citizenship, but there is something missing.

According to the following laws, a person can apply for CITIZENSHIP after resided in DR for 6 months if he/she forms a business or buys property also. This particular law mentions NOTHING about "after having obtained legal domicile (permanent residence card). So, why do you all say Provisional (12 mo) + Permanent + 6 mo = citizenship?

Law 1683 dated 1948 and its modifications establishes that a person is eligible to obtain Dominican nationality after:

Having resided in the country for at least six months after having obtained legal domicile (permanent residence card).
Having resided continually in the country for at least two years.
------>Having resided continually in the country for at least six months and having formed a business or purchased real estate.
Having served in the Dominican Armed Forces.
Have obtained a special concession from the President which may be granted for having served the DR with merit.
You left out the word continually.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
well I for one never said that there werent various ways approaching this matter. You are given options. In order to get citizenship/residency you have to go one of several routes. I got married and received my residency in that manner. But investment or establishing a business is another option. In fact the Migration Office has a special room where the people deal specifically with that option and they will fast track your application for you. Course, they are hungry for investers.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
The confusion he is relating is over the fact that applying for Residencia can be eliminated, and direct application for citizenship can be done after either 6 months continual residence (not Residencia, simply extending a visa) and establishing a business or owning property or 2 years continual residence ( again not Residencia) in the DR. This eliminates the Migration office entirely, you may apply directly for citizenship with the Ministry of Interior.
I was told it would be easier to apply for Dominican citizenship than for a residence?

This is true because less government departments are involved with the issuing of the citizenship, different from the residence. When you deal with the citizenship, you just deal with the Ministry of Interior and Police. When dealing with the residence card, you have to deal with the Ministry of Foreign Relations and the Department of Migration
Of course, applying directly for citizenship eliminates two steps which the lawyers can charge for.

boogieman

Mar 30, 2006
so if one were to CONTINUALLY reside in the D.R for 6 months and started a business and/or bought property, are the chances of getting citizenship pretty good?

cause from my understanding, a $50,000 investment in an apartment or a business would be greatly appreciated by D.R govt... true????

Last edited:

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I want to go the fast track route?

I have lived here 16 years own three Company's and have residency, seeking back door for Citizenship as I don't have the time for all the visits to the Capital.
Please PM ME in confidence for the quick route.

Thanks

slimshade328

Dec 4, 2005
This is a joke, right..? I thought you should have citizenship 15 years ago!

Gringo said:
I have lived here 16 years own three Company's and have residency, seeking back door for Citizenship as I don't have the time for all the visits to the Capital.
Please PM ME in confidence for the quick route.

Thanks

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
The Dominican authorities have gone back and forth in interpreting the naturalization law. At one time, the two years (or six months) of uninterrupted residence were to be counted from the time of obtaining permanent residency. Now, it is counted from the time that the applicant has obtained provisional residency in the country. A residency permit is always required before applying for citizenship, even in the case of the husband of a Dominican citizen. The exception is the case of wives of Dominican citizens, who may apply for Dominican citizenship directly six months after the date of their marriage.

At this time, the Ministry of Interior is being very difficult with naturalization applications based on ownership of businesses or real estate because of the many instances of fraud found in the documentation submitted as evidence.