A Note of Caution for the Men!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks for the warning.
As these crimes seem to be commited against expats, I wonder if you should post this in the living section, as I suspect a lot of male expats would never read this forum.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
This one is almost as old as the world's oldest profession however it is a good reminder to the gents who come to the DR solely to avail themselves of the services available here.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks for getting this into the living section, Chris.
I hope the male DR1 expats take the time to glance at the article and take the necessary precautions to not have it happen to them.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
gary short said:
Precautions????????????
Like who you associate with.
Where you go & what you do.
Make sure you have some highly placed friends.
Have a copy of the scam on your computer, so that if you get scammed, you can present it as a defense.
etc.

G

gary short

Perhaps going out with women that have a net worth more than you and haven't made it using that scam. Wow that is scary stuff. I should have used that one on the ex.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
gary short said:
I should have used that one on the ex.
I know what you mean.
I really don't know why my ex is so upset with me.
That thing with her fur coat in the wood chipper was just an accident.
Heck, I told her she was lucky she wasn't wearing it at the time.

G

gary short

HAHAHAHAHA............don't go incriminating yourself. Wood chipper hey..........hhhhhhmmmmm.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
oooooooooooooooopsssssssss !!!!

gary short said:
HAHAHAHAHA............don't go incriminating yourself. Wood chipper hey..........hhhhhhmmmmm.
I think someone posted under my name, as I forgot to log out on one of the public PC's.
The truth is that my first 2 wives mysteriously both died of the same illness after eating poison mushrooms, and the 3rd one was run over by a truck, as she refused to eat the mushrooms.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Marc - good thing you had those life insurance policies paid up to date - hope it helped you 'deal' with the loss. :cheeky:

On a more serious note - this happens more than people (read "men") would like to admit, the scam I mean ... problem is that they are a little shy to admit that they've been 'had by a ho' so they keep quiet about it.

I'd like to know how the US authorities or the 'scamee' deals with the guilty parties ... or if anyone has even been able to collect enough evidence of such a scam to be able to recoup some of their loss ...

An Afrikaans saying my mother quite likes to remind me of, roughly translated "If you play in the pig food, you'll get eaten by pigs". Yuk! I know ....

Stay well,
Amy

G

gary short

If I got scammed like that I'ld scream like a baby to anyone that would listen and I'ld never ever play in pig food, personally speaking.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Interesting until this paper (whoever they are) published this not one person has reported or been heard of reporting this crime wave which is highly suggestive of journalism leaning to the National Enquirer side of things vs. the NY Times.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
hmmmmmmmmmmm.....

ricktoronto said:
Interesting until this paper (whoever they are) published this not one person has reported or been heard of reporting this crime wave which is highly suggestive of journalism leaning to the National Enquirer side of things vs. the NY Times.
You make a very good point.
What about our Boca Chica members?
Doesn't CC live in Boca Chica?
Surely something this big couldn't be kept quiet, here in the land of "everybody knows everybody's business"

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I'm sure whoever was a victim of this scam would not really advertise it. Something to do with being cuckolded (sp?) you know. :ermm: Not that I ever support the media, but dominicantoday does not seem to be a yellow rag. They're sometimes a little quick on the trigger but seems to co-operate nicely at least with everyone that I know that had dealings with them.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Chris said:
I'm sure whoever was a victim of this scam would not really advertise it. Something to do with being cuckolded (sp?) you know. :ermm: Not that I ever support the media, but dominicantoday does not seem to be a yellow rag. They're sometimes a little quick on the trigger but seems to co-operate nicely at least with everyone that I know that had dealings with them.
Also a good point.
That being said, some odd 10 years ago when there was a big crackdown on sex with minors in Boca Chica, it was well known that many a resident there, had lost his money, property & possesions, in order to get out of jail & leave the country.
Even if the victim himself is not broadcasting the story, somebody else will.
Surely some of our South coast members would have heard something if this story is accurate.
Let's wait to hear from them and see.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Well come on read it - it sounds one step away from an Al Queda plot. What probably happened is one gringo got ripped off, then we have a multi lateral commission looking into it. yet here thousands of DR members haven't heard a peep. Nonsense, pure and simple.

Millions of dolllars and the CIA (or maybe the NSA?) Hey - maybe it is the NBA, it is a "tall" enough story. And isn't "Dominican" and "Intelligence Agency" an oxymoron?

Please peruse the words:

BOCA CHICA. - Dominican and U.S. intelligence agencies investigate scams of millions of dollars against citizens of that country and Europe by a presumed racketeering ring which includes prostitutes, doctors, lawyers and bailiffs.

Intelligence sources revealed that to rip off the foreigners of their properties and of millions of dollars,....blah blah blah......

It was reported that the U.S. intelligence agencies which conduct the investigation jointly with Dominican authorities have in their possession several cases of American citizens whose properties and assets here were stolen by those racketeers.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Has been going on for ages. One of the biggest crooks is an ex government official from the PRD government in the mid -80s. This guy has a pool of assisting crooks, some of them can read and write some of them can not read and write, some of them are lawyers, they're all useful depending on the situation. The guy returned to the country with a fake identity after 11 years in exile and has been roaming the south coast since then staging all sorts of hostile takeovers.

And BTW this guy is now residing in an apt. 50 m from the beach, stolen from a "friend". Watch out there's a local election coming up.

Last edited:

joecanada

Jan 15, 2004
Preventive measures:

Don't run around with hookers.

If you are travelling all the way to the DR for prostitution rather than availing yourself of it in your own country, you get what you have coming. eg: ripped off, beaten up, AIDS.

A foreseeable consequence of a bad decision.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
joecanada said:
Preventive measures:

Don't run around with hookers.

If you are travelling all the way to the DR for prostitution rather than availing yourself of it in your own country, you get what you have coming. eg: ripped off, beaten up, AIDS.

A foreseeable consequence of a bad decision.
I agree with Joe 100%. When you play in the dump you're bound to get garbage on you hands.
A while back I heard of a similar scam (Probably as true as this one) in other words B.S. where mothers would introduce their daughter (Under 18) to a gringo then after, threaten to report them to the authorities if they didn't pay up. This was (is) supposed to be happening now in Sosua/La Union.