Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Where should I stay?

The company I work for is thinking about sending me to DR for the summer to work for a new company we just purchased. I will be working in Santo Domingo. I want to take my wife and son with me. We will need to rent an apartment or a condo for 3 months. I would like to be in a place on the beach with pools and things for my family to do.

My wife and son do not speak Spanish so I think we are going to have to stay in a resort type area so they can communicate better.

I have been thinking about Punta Cana, but I don't know the area that well. If you were in my position, where would you want to stay?

Any tips or recommendations for me? I would really appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

If you like a 5 hour commute, then Punta Cana is the place for you!!

Santo Domingo does not have any beaches. You have to go east or southeast for those.

I know some people that rent at Metro Country Club and enjoy it. It is close to the water (Juan Dolio) and has golf and a pool. For three months, the one hour commute to Santo Domingo is not too bad.

Of course, it seems that you think that Santo Domingo is a small place, and this is a common error. Depending on just where in "Santo Domingo" this new company is located can greatly change your perspectives. If you can be a bit more precise, we can give you more insightful guidence as were to locate your family. We are sort of shooting blindly here--but we keep shooting, that's for sure

H

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
    Post Thanks / Like

The communication in a lot of AI resorts for other than a handful of front desk staff is pretty limited anyway. You'd probably do better in the Melia, Jaragua or other hotels aimed at business travellers. And you'd be in the same city you are working in. If you do want a resort then the Hamaca in Boca Chica is some 4 1/2 hours closer than Punta Cana.

Are you not wondering how much an AI hotel would cost for 4 people? Vs. an apartment or condo it might be 3-5X higher.

Post Thanks / Like

Default More Info

My job will be in sales and technical service. I will be traveling all over DR to wherever manufacturing plants are. I have stayed in DR about 6 weeks total. Mostly in Santiago and Bonao areas. I have only been to Santo Domingo once and I realize it is a large city.

(Obviously, I was not aware that Punat Cana was 5 1/2 drive.)

Unless the hotel has a full kitchen in the room, hotels are out. I am just trying to find a place where they can have a long vacation while I work my butt off.

A place where tourists frequently go would be a plus so the family can make new friends as well. If I don't find the perfect place, I will be in DR alone.

Anything would help. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

AI hotels won't have a kitchen and will kill you on price. Any good tourist class hotel in Boca Chica - e.g. Costalunga - beach town, kitchen units in the hotel, $40 US a night , cheaper monthly. Try that. Or across the street at Los Pinos, apartments, $30 a night cash, full apartment with kitchen. Costalunga has a pool though.

If you are in Santiago and Bonao then look there or POP/Sosua not the capital.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ricktoronto
    AI hotels won't have a kitchen and will kill you on price. Any good tourist class hotel in Boca Chica - e.g. Costalunga - beach town, kitchen units in the hotel, $40 US a night , cheaper monthly. Try that. Or across the street at Los Pinos, apartments, $30 a night cash, full apartment with kitchen. Costalunga has a pool though.

If you are in Santiago and Bonao then look there or POP/Sosua not the capital.
    i keep on hearing good things about los pinos....and who needs a pool when you have the playa right there. Listen to Rick....he's not la grand pollo for nothing :-)

Post Thanks / Like

And AI's are also pathetic for living, and 3 months later you'll be looking for a new wife (who won't weigh 400 pounds as yours may by then).

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

In Sto. Domingo you've got some social clubs like Club Naco in NACO area, with 2 pools, 6 tenniscourts, bar, restaurant, and so on.
    There are several in other areas.
    They offer non resident memberships at much lower costs.
    NACO is located central with good electricity supply, good connection to the airport, supermarkets, restaurants, shops are near and you should be able to find a flat for your 6 months stay.
    Good luck

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I am living in Pennsylvania, but I do have an apartment in Santo Domingo just 2 blocks off Las Americas, and Sabana Larga. My wife uses the apt for about 1 week a month. It has 2 bedrooms and 2 baths. Maybe we can work something out. ([email protected])

Post Thanks / Like

1) You should have sent him a PM with this business hype.
    2) If this is on the Eastern Side of Ozama River, I don't think this would be appropriate for his family.

Dear Original Poster:

If you are going to be working in the Cibao (Santiago, Moca, La Vega, Bonao) then you should think about living in Santiago or one of the nearby cities.

If you are going to be working in Santo Domingo then maybe the Aparta-Hotel Florida on Bolivar can suit your bill. They have long term living arrangements-suites with kitchens and so forth.

Otherwise, maybe this time Rick is right and you can put them up in Boca Chica...(Oh..even the thought of a nice family in Boca Chica seems to my warped mind a contradiction in terms...oh well, Rick knows the place a lot better than I do.)

Let's iron this out a bit more so you do give them the perfect three month vacation..

H

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast