Pets entry in the DR

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
That the papers from their homecountry are in order ( vaccinations, identification etc ).
Then she buys a certificate by the vet at the immigration at the airport here.
Don?t remember the cost, something around a few hundred pesos.
No problems at all.

JenRob

Mar 27, 2006
Dogs?

Does the same rules apply to dogs? She would be coming in from Canada.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Dogs come in under the same guidelines. I've brought in cats and dogs and never had a problem. I've only done this in SDQ so I can't speak about the other airports.

The only difficulty for the family member of the OP might be if she stays over 30 days from the date of the vet cert - not 30 days in DR. She will have to get a new one to go back to the States with the animals. For this reason it is better to get your vet cert done as close to the travel date as possible.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
expatsooner said:
Dogs come in under the same guidelines. I've brought in cats and dogs and never had a problem. I've only done this in SDQ so I can't speak about the other airports.

The only difficulty for the family member of the OP might be if she stays over 30 days from the date of the vet cert - not 30 days in DR. She will have to get a new one to go back to the States with the animals. For this reason it is better to get your vet cert done as close to the travel date as possible.
Exactly.

Mom CB has brought her little fur child hound to the DR several times. A vet will take care of the paperwork, but I recall you have to submit to a state authority to get the proper travel papers.

She gets it all done a week before she leaves, and does it through FedEx,

jimhe

Mar 26, 2006
long term pet visit

I will be working in the DR for a year (I arrive on April 9th) and my family + pets will be coming in June. I think I am clear about how to get the pets into the Dominican Republic, but it sounds like I need to learn more about getting them back home after my one year contract is up.

Has anyone had a pet in the DR for an extended stay (6-24 months) and then brought them back to the US?? What hoops do I need to jump through to make that work out smoothly? Is there a web site or agency that I should contact to learn more?

Thanks,
Jim

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
In essence it is the same thing in reverse from here to States. You must have a vet cert that states animals are in good health and have had their vacs within the last 30 days. There is a little fee to pay to the agriculture department as you exit and that is it basically.

drliving

Dec 11, 2005
I brought my pets last April from Ft Lauderdale. First we had to get Rabbi vaccinations for the animals, as long as the vaccinations are current and don't expire for 30 days prior to your flight then you will be fine. After the vaccinations we had to take the paperwork to the FDA dept for animals, that was so the animals could fly out of the country. Next we had to take that paperwork to the dominican consulat in miami and get them to stamp and certify the paperwork so we could enter into the dr. It sounds like alot but it didn't take very long.

LENS

Apr 3, 2006
I am contemplating going to the Cabarete /Sosua Area in the D.R. for an extended stay of two or three months. I would be to flying from Phoenix to Miami. Then next day fly Miami to Puerto Plata. I have a Cat. I Think I understand the procedures involved in flying with a Cat. My question is. As there are people in the D.R Forum who have traveled by Air with a cat . I am wondering how cats handle the trauma of traveling in an Airplane.My cat is 18 years old