Teaching english in a small town or the mountains

attenewg

Feb 1, 2006
Teaching English In A Small Town Or The Mountains

Hello everyone this is my first time posting. I will be returning to the DR soon and would like to get a job teaching english in a small town or in the mountains. I am not looking for any type of outrageous salary. I would like to teach maybe in Sabaneta or Jamao. I am a native English speaker and have my certfication on TESOL/TEFL. I have done a lot of administrative work, home schooling and tutuoring here in th US. My main concern is finding housing in these areas as well as how do I go about getting into the school system? Can anyone give me advise?

Last edited:

attenewg

Feb 1, 2006
Thank you for the link. I am aware there are private schools available, but in the mountains and the very small towns there are no private schools. Does anyone know how I can get into the school system and where do I apply for public schoo? How difficult is it to get into the public school system?

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Rural Teaching

attenewg said:
... how I can get into the school system and where do I apply for public schoo? How difficult is it to get into the public school system?

Find out from:
http://www.see.gov.do/sitesee/default.htm

IF you get a job (which I doubt, because there are enough Dominican teachers for Government schools), expect to live in very poor conditions and mainly on the money you bring with you.

m'frog

attenewg

Feb 1, 2006
Thank you for your reply. Do you really think it is that difficult to get into the Goverment schools? I believe there are enough Dominican teachers as you said, however there are not enough in the Government schools that speak English. As far as living in poor conditions that is not a problem because I have live in some of these areas and I know for a fact that the some children are not being taught English but when they bring their report card home they have a grade on there for an English course. For that reason I thought it would not be hard to obtain a English teaching job.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
I'm no expert on the public school system in the DR. But it's my understanding that a teacher in the public school system earns about 4,000 RD a month. That equates to less than $120 US per month. If you divide that by 30 days it works out to about $4 a day to live on. Perhaps you could rent a cement floor 10x10 room (corrugated tin house) with no running water for $60 leaving you $2 a day for beans and rice.

Does help clarify what m’frog was telling you?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The reality of all of the above is this: You cannot live on what you would earn teaching English in a small town or in the mountains.

That said, with your credentials, you just might be able to get a government job, teaching English. There is a huge push going on to get people into English. Part of the President's globalization program, I think. Anyway, you need to go to Santo Domingo, go to the Ministry of Education and see about this. It may or may not take some time.

Good luck.

HB :D:D

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Paper Conclusions

attenewg said:
.... children are not being taught English but when they bring their report card home they have a grade on there for an English course. For that reason I thought....

Drawing conclusions from papers (certificates, report cards, etc.) in this country may not always give you a clear picture of things.

BTW, how good is your Spanish?

m'frog

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
attenewg said:
Hello everyone this is my first time posting. I will be returning to the DR soon and would like to get a job teaching english in a small town or in the mountains.
Stick with the small town.
There are some vicious frogs in the mountains in the Dominican. :paranoid: :ermm:

attenewg

Feb 1, 2006
Thank you all for your response. I am still checking out all my option before making any final discission. At first when I read the response that I might be living in a 10x10 cement floor/tin house I felt a little affended. Then I felt grateful for your honesty. Anyone else with additon information please respond.

Thank you,e