Verizon Dominicana (former CODETEL) Sold, $3.7 Billion

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Verizon Communications Inc. on Monday said it has agreed to sell its Caribbean and Latin American telecommunications operations to America Movil SA de CV and a unit jointly owned by Mexico's Telmex for $3.7 billion.
In three separate transactions, Verizon said it is selling telecommunications provider Verizon Dominicana in the Dominican Republic [...]

exek

May 26, 2003
www.cormega-central.com
Hopefully its for the good the owner of the Mexican Company is Mexican tycoon Carlos Slim the world's third-richest man.

To know more about Carlos Slim go to Forbes profile of him here

To know more about the deal go to google news collection of related news stories here

I wonder what the new name of Verizon Dominicana be and will people continue to call the new company Verizon like they did and still do to Verizon by still calling it Codetel lol

I also wonder what will happen with Verizon Wireless roaming in DR now.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
What does it mean for us? ......A Slim rate increase with the same @#$%$#@&*(^ service or worse.

Regards,
PJT

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
A Rose by any other Name

When Codetel changed its name to Verizon was it because people were calling the company Jodetel? Verizon technology, Dominican customer service; that's called bating five hundred in baseball (for those who don't understand the idiosyncracies of baseball batting five hundered is a player getting a hit in fifty percent of his at bats).

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
I?d like to know wich will be the new name of the company, and I think that in the transaction they made a deal for roaming service.

I hope the new company give better prices specially in the internet service that is very expensive.

Last edited:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Thanks for the link, this brought out some things you would have never known from reading the Dominican news, like the fact that the price they paid and amount of employees included Verizon's operations in PR and Venezuela.

I don't know what if anything will happen, but Verizon Dominicana is enjoying a majority marketshare of non-wireless phone and internet service in the DR right now, so it wouldn't make much sense for them to change things up, though they may raise some prices marginally to see how it effects their bottom line.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
PJT said:
What does it mean for us? ......A Slim rate increase with the same @#$%$#@&*(^ service or worse.

Regards,
PJT

very witty, ...I like it!!

Jun 5, 2004
Does anyone know when all of this is going to start affecting the consumers? The new name for Verizon Dominicana will be...?