Whats The Latest On Cable In Sosua

Crane

Apr 2, 2006
Does anyone have any new info on the Cable TV situation in Sosua? Channels 30,31,34,57, and 65 are still missing. I have called the cable company three times since the network channels dissappeared on Saturday, and I received a different excuse for the problem each time I called. First the technician needed a repair kit, then they had to find the signal, anf finally the technician needs more time. This situation is totally RIDICULOUS!!! What does it take to get something right in this country. We pay $350 Pesos a month for what. Also, the cable company has us paying $500 Pesos for a converter receiver to receive the channels since they wre supposed to be scrambled in February and lets see this is April now, and you can still get the channels with just regular cable. It smells like a rip off to me!!! If anyone has any info that I do not have concerning the missing channels it would greatly be appreciated.

Crane

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Don't expect 1st world service, it's not going to happen.

These things happen, get used to it. Cable not being 100% is a minor issue.
If your not happy with the service, drop them, get a dish. Vote with your wallet.

Now time for some advice...

Go take a walk to the cable company and sit down with the owner/boss.
Explain that your having a few issues and can they help. Be nice, stay calm and make a friend. You might then find, that you actually get the service your expecting.

Welcome to the Dominican Republic, enjoy your stay!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I spoke with somebody yesterday from the cable company. He said they had to get some additional equipment because of signal changes and were building a house for the new equipment. He said in a few days everything will be back to normal.

Could be something to it, since there were repeated notices on many of the missing channels prior to April 1 that they were going to digital on 1 April.

Vamos a ver.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Crane said:
Does anyone have any new info on the Cable TV situation in Sosua? Channels 30,31,34,57, and 65 are still missing. I have called the cable company three times since the network channels dissappeared on Saturday, and I received a different excuse for the problem each time I called. First the technician needed a repair kit, then they had to find the signal, anf finally the technician needs more time. This situation is totally RIDICULOUS!!! What does it take to get something right in this country. We pay $350 Pesos a month for what. Also, the cable company has us paying $500 Pesos for a converter receiver to receive the channels since they wre supposed to be scrambled in February and lets see this is April now, and you can still get the channels with just regular cable. It smells like a rip off to me!!! If anyone has any info that I do not have concerning the missing channels it would greatly be appreciated.

Crane
10 bucks a month. I'm siding with the cable company on this one no matter what problems they're having. The changeover will take time and we'll have to live with it. Where else in the world can you get 80 channels for $10. I'm sure that eventually things will get back to normal. Then expect a raise to 900 pesos a month.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
It's no different here in Puerto Plata. The ABC and NBC channels have been off and on for weeks now.

Adam Spenser

Nov 29, 2002
Cable in Sosua

I always can guess who will be the apologists for any Dominican problem. Yes Crane there is a problem. You are dealing with a **** by the name of De Lancer. It does not make a difference if you are paying $11 not $10 or $100 it's still the same. You are getting ripped off. Moreover, getting a dish is not the answer, because when it rains you don't get Directv or Dishtv so you want cable which will play through most thunderstorms. Forget about service it is almost non existent.
Adam

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Adam Spenser said:
I always can guess who will be the apologists for any Dominican problem. Yes Crane there is a problem. You are dealing with a **** by the name of De Lancer. It does not make a difference if you are paying $11 not $10 or $100 it's still the same. You are getting ripped off. Moreover, getting a dish is not the answer, because when it rains you don't get Directv or Dishtv so you want cable which will play through most thunderstorms. Forget about service it is almost non existent.
Adam
Although I am very displeased about the present state of our cable service and am just waiting for a spare moment to try to do something about it, I would like to say the following about Yoani De Lancer.
The cable company he started here in Sosua was & is 10 times better than the trash we had with Super Cable, many years ago.
Furthermore, Yoani has never been anything less than decent in all his dealings with me.
He has always been courteous and willing to resolve or try to resolve problems.
He has put non regular channels on for us, when there's a special event (such as the Superbowl) not on our network.
If it is just an assumption that he is a piece of dirt, or whatever you called him, I disagree.
Maybe you have had some bad experience with him that justifies your feelings towards him?

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Whats very frustrating is the lack of information from the company. Why don't they either have an information channel, or a web site with information about channels coming and going and other information about different problems etc ?
Should be very easy and cheap to set up.
Would also be interessted in knowing how they pick the channels they are showing. Are they showing all channels availible at low costs ? If they have the possibility to show a lot more channels, how do they know which ones the customers are most interessted in ?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Rocky said:
Although I am very displeased about the present state of our cable service and am just waiting for a spare moment to try to do something about it, I would like to say the following about Yoani De Lancer.
The cable company he started here in Sosua was & is 10 times better than the trash we had with Super Cable, many years ago.
Furthermore, Yoani has never been anything less than decent in all his dealings with me.
He has always been courteous and willing to resolve or try to resolve problems.
He has put non regular channels on for us, when there's a special event (such as the Superbowl) not on our network.
If it is just an assumption that he is a piece of dirt, or whatever you called him, I disagree.
Maybe you have had some bad experience with him that justifies your feelings towards him?
Ditto + he hasn't raised his prices in years even through the fluctuation of the peso.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I find it interesting that it's only the 4 main American Networks that have vanished, ABC, CBS, NBC and CNN. Maybe it's assumed Americans will pay more to get the news from home...

if they go digital, I wonder if they'll eventually offer Cable Internet?

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
CNN is still there. Atleast if you have a decoder. TBS however is still gone.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
CNN hasn't disappeared. There are periodic problems with CNN and many other channels, but ABC, NBC and CBS are off. Before they disappeared, there were frequent notices that they were going digital, which apparently means some additional equipment is necessary.

I agree with Tor that it would help if the cable company provided more information, but I am not sure how they could do this.

Threads like this one are interesting since you can see who has adjusted to living here and who hasn't.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Robert said:
Nice observation ;)

So people in the DR that's not 100% satisfived with the service of their cable company are per definition not adjusted to living in the DR ?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Tor said:
So people in the DR that's not 100% satisfived with the service of their cable company are per definition not adjusted to living in the DR ?
I don't think of it that way, but there's no doubt that one does develop a higher tolerance with the years.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It's not about if your dissatisfied or not, it's how you react and go about solving the problem.

Simple question...

1) Is it easier to pick up the phone and chat and joke with the customer service manager to fix something with your bank account?

Or

2) Is it easier to drive to the bank, wait in line for 30 mins and deal with someone that doesn't know you from a lump of cheese?

Yeah, I know it's obvious, but unless you take the time to make a friend of the customer service manager, your always going to be a #2.

This is a relationship based country, a smile and hello go 100x further than a frown and a #%$& you! The sooner some people learn that, start to emulate Dominicans, the sooner they will have a more stress free life here.

Go buy Yoani De Lancer a beer, it might be the best RD$50 you ever spent ;)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Tor said:

I am not 100% satisfied and I consider myself adjusted to living here.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Robert said:
It's not about if your dissatisfied or not, it's how you react and go about solving the problem.

Simple question...

1) Is it easier to pick up the phone and chat and joke with the customer service manager to fix something with your bank account?

Or

2) Is it easier to drive to the bank, wait in line for 30 mins and deal with someone that doesn't know you from a lump of cheese?

Yeah, I know it's obvious, but unless you take the time to make a friend of the customer service manager, your always going to be a #2.

This is a relationship based country, a smile and hello go 100x further than a frown and a #%$& you! The sooner some people learn that, start to emulate Dominicans, the sooner they will have a more stress free life here.

Go buy Yoani De Lancer a beer, it might be the best RD$50 you ever spent ;)
I've known Yoani for more than 15 years. His cable TV has cost me a lot. There was a time when all the residents came to the bar for their favorite sports. Business is business "c'est la vie". Bottom line, I still have an occasional beer with him. I'm sure he's doing his best. Give the guy a break.

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
The cable companies have to pirate the US networks to start with, so don't count on steady service. The satellite providers are constantly trying to ferret out the bootleggers.