Delta Pilots Vote to Kill Airline

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
What a shame. I would hate to see this airline go. I LOVE DELTA!

Jun 5, 2004
Thats a shame Delta should work something out with these people to prevent this because it is going to cause them alot of money and pain.

aerobaticman

Nov 10, 2004
Read the whole article!

If people actually take the time to read the whole thing...

"Industry consultant Michael Boyd said Delta was unlikely to survive even a relatively short walkout that shut down the airline.
But Boyd said he thinks there is only about a 10 percent chance that a strike will be called at Delta, and he believes that despite the strong vote Tuesday, many might cross a picket line and keep flying even if there is a strike."

The vote is simply a show. Like two dogs backed into a corner. Lets see who can bark the loudest and which one will run away with it's tail between it's legs...

Sep 19, 2005
I have never been able to work out a flight with delta!.. either they are too much money or they dont fly the day i want....I have made 8 trips since last june....the first with jet blue( never again) then the rest with AA...I really need delta to keep AA reasonable..........I wonder if continental will suffer along with delta?......in any case i can never seem to work out a flight from anyone but AA

bob

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
aerobaticman said:
If people actually take the time to read the whole thing...

"Industry consultant Michael Boyd said Delta was unlikely to survive even a relatively short walkout that shut down the airline.
But Boyd said he thinks there is only about a 10 percent chance that a strike will be called at Delta, and he believes that despite the strong vote Tuesday, many might cross a picket line and keep flying even if there is a strike."

The vote is simply a show. Like two dogs backed into a corner. Lets see who can bark the loudest and which one will run away with it's tail between it's legs...

Completely agreed. Reading is fundamental.

The pilots authorized the strike, but they're not gonna cut off the hand that feeds them. They won't strike, just gave the authority to do so.

If they were to strike and Delta went out of business, no one will hire these pilots at the same salaries they currently receive from Delta. It makes no sense to strike. But you gotta use every tool in the book of negotiating to appear not weak.

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
83,000 miles down the drain. Plus the cheap stock I bought in November hoping for the turn around and quick buck :tired:

Oh well. I havent uncrossed my fingers yet.
TEHAMA

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
sell the stock and take a trip. The air line industry hasn't made money since the Wright Bros. jumped off a cliff. There is always an exception to the rule.

exek

May 26, 2003
www.cormega-central.com
I guess the pilots gamble paid off

"Delta agreed with its pilots union on a tentative contract, avoiding a strike and clearing an obstacle in its effort to survive as an independent carrier."

Full Story here

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Not sure what you mean

exek said:
I guess the pilots gamble paid off

"Delta agreed with its pilots union on a tentative contract, avoiding a strike and clearing an obstacle in its effort to survive as an independent carrier."

Full Story here

by "paid off". While I haven't heard a lot of details about the tentative agreement the union negotiators made (which by the way must still be approved by the membership), the gist of what I have heard is that they essentially caved. The new contract will include many concessions, including pay cuts. This was, in fact, the only outcome providing any hope of Delta staying in business.

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
Delta, Pilot Union Negotiators Reach Tentative Agreement
Atlanta, April 14, 2006 – Delta Air Lines today confirmed that a tentative agreement has been reached between the negotiators for the company and the Air Line Pilots Association, the collective bargaining representative for Delta’s approximately 6,000 active pilots.

ALPA’s Master Executive Council (MEC), the leadership body of the Delta pilot union, will decide whether to put the tentative agreement before Delta pilots for a vote. In addition to pilot ratification, the agreement is also subject to U.S. Bankruptcy Court approval.

The company is not disclosing details at this time. “We are going to respect the MEC review process,” said Edward H. Bastian, Delta’s executive vice president, chief financial officer and head of the company’s in-court restructuring efforts. “We have worked hard together as a team to forge an agreement that is good for Delta and all of its constituents,” he added.

“Delta passengers can continue to book on Delta with confidence. There has been no disruption to our service. Our pilots are performing professionally, flying as scheduled, and together with all Delta employees, are taking good care of our customers,” emphasized Bastian.

Barring any disruptions, the company is on track to achieve approximately 70 percent of its business plan’s benefits by the end of this year, with the goal of successfully emerging from bankruptcy in 2007.

Delta Air Lines (Other OTC: DALRQ) is one of the world’s fastest growing international carriers with more than 50 new international routes added or announced in the last year. Delta offers flights to 452 destinations in 95 countries on Delta, Song, Delta Shuttle, the Delta Connection carriers and its worldwide partners. In summer 2006, Delta plans to offer customers more destinations and departures between the U.S., Europe, India and Israel than any global airline*, including service on 11 new transatlantic routes from its Atlanta and New York-JFK hubs. Delta also is a major carrier to Mexico, South and Central America and the Caribbean, with more than 35 routes announced, added or applied to serve since Jan. 1, 2005. Delta's marketing alliances also allow customers to earn and redeem SkyMiles on more than 14,000 flights offered by SkyTeam and other partners. Delta is a founding member of SkyTeam, a global airline alliance that provides customers with extensive worldwide destinations, flights and services. Customers can check in for flights, print boarding passes and check flight status at delta.com.