"Beware of the Baca!" being reprinted

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
For the information of anyone interested, I'm reprinting "Beware of the Baca!", the 88-page book on Dominican folklore that I published about 15 years ago. For various reasons, it's been out of print for a number of years. I didn't keep the names of the people who requested the book during that period, so am posting this information in the hopes some of them read this message board. Send me a PM or email to get the details on getting a soon to be available copy.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Ken, I am interested in purchasing one of your reprints

...please give me info via private message. I will be back down in DR in a couple weeks.

Thanks, Dave

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
marcocael and dms, "Beware of the Baca!" is ready for distribution. I am sending you a PM.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Ken, you should contact me if you have plans for a revised edition.

EBAY

"There are many fascinating beliefs and customs in the Dominican Republic. Little is written about them, and it's not possible to get well enough acquainted in a one or two week vacation to learn about them from the people, especially if you don't understand Spanish.

Each belief included in this book is held by a significant number of people, but not all who hold a belief practice it. Consecrated members of various churches, for example, renounce procedures which violate God's laws, such as those which do harm to others and those by which certain people transform themselves into animals, stumps or other objects. However, they know these procedures are practiced by others.

Several contributors expressed regret that younger people today are less interested in the beliefs of their elders, and that fewer than in the past are making the effort to master the procedures and rituals they entail. The reason may be the increasing availability of television, radio, and other commercial entertainment. If what is seen on TV, for example, is at odds with what the elders say, it is likely the traditional beliefs, regardless of their vailidity, are discounted by the younger members of the community.

Page titles include "Beware of the Baca", "Rx for Cheating Husbands", "Two Ways to Punish Tormenters", "Compliments are Hazardous to Health", "Live Forever Without Fear of Enemies", "Tying Your Mate for Life", "How to Catch a Murderer".

The book has 88 pages of text and drawings. This is a 2006 reprint. Multiple copies are available, including copies signed by the author if desired."

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Books have been sent to those who ordered them except marcocael. If you see this, please answer the PM I sent previously or let me know if you have a US address.

Hillbilly and mirador, not sure what your messages mean. At present what I have is a reprint of original edition. Several gift stores have asked for copies of the book. If it sells, I may want to do a revised edition in future and include more information.

"Beware of the Baca" is 88 pages of text and drawings on folklore in the DR. If anybody with a US or Canada mailing address is interested, please let me know while I am in the US so that a copy can be sent you. Price is US$5, including shipping.

PS: For some reason, I didn't see the posts of mirador or Hillbilly until today, and wouldn't have seen them then if I hadn't opened the thread. I've noticed before that requesting the new threads doesn't mean you are going to get 100% of the messages posted since you last looked at the board.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Ken said:
Books have been sent to those who ordered them except marcocael. If you see this, please answer the PM I sent previously or let me know if you have a US address.

Hillbilly and mirador, not sure what your messages mean. At present what I have is a reprint of original edition. Several gift stores have asked for copies of the book. If it sells, I may want to do a revised edition in future and include more information.

"Beware of the Baca" is 88 pages of text and drawings on folklore in the DR. If anybody with a US or Canada mailing address is interested, please let me know while I am in the US so that a copy can be sent you. Price is US$5, including shipping.

PS: For some reason, I didn't see the posts of mirador or Hillbilly until today, and wouldn't have seen them then if I hadn't opened the thread. I've noticed before that requesting the new threads doesn't mean you are going to get 100% of the messages posted since you last looked at the board.

Ken, I'm very interested in your book, can you PM the ordering instructions? All things folk is one of my passions. Regarding DR folk beliefs and superstitions, one of the best books is Guaroa Ubi?as' "Mitos, Creencias y Leyendas Dominicana" that runs almost 400 pages, and is written in a testimonial style. If you can't find it, you can borrow my autographed copy.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
Ken I would like a copy of the book. I will be in Puerto Plata the week of the 17th. Can I pick one up while there?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Ken, I've been slow on this one ... I would like a copy .. if you can bring one down, or send to a US address. Can pay you by check, credit card, paypal, cash in dollars or pesos via CaribbeTours... It is not urgent, whatever you can do in your time. I am also asking for the e-book rights of this publication... ? How about it... ?

ade

Jun 14, 2005
me too!

All sounds very interesting - any chance of having the book shipped to me in the UK?:glasses:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Gitana, just sent a PM with instructions.

Frank, glad you are enjoying the book.

Ade, sure, I can send a copy to the UK. Will find out what mailing cost is and get back to you.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Hey Ken, Mary and I would love to get a copy. Give us a call when you get back. We're in Cabarete for the next few months.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Camden Tom said:
Hey Ken, Mary and I would love to get a copy. Give us a call when you get back. We're in Cabarete for the next few months.

Will do. Returning on the 29th.

Tony Straight

Dec 27, 2005
Just got my book and read it in a couple of hours at the beach here in Corpus Christi, Texas. It's still in the car, I plan on reading it over and over. Great beach reading material. There's some really funny stuff and some interesting and historical stuff there too. Great book. Thanks so much.