Fun Tropical/Royale

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharrisonb

Apr 4, 2006
We've booked for a 2 week stay in late July at the Fun Tropical/Royal hotel. There is me, my husband and two children aged 17 and 13. Any tips to make our holiday better would be gratefully received.

Are any rooms better that others at the hotel - trips we should do or avoid.

We are interested in doing a Dolphin Swim, jet boat up the river, wind surfing and down hill mountain biking.

any experiences to share please

stormer

Apr 27, 2004
I've stayed there several times, great hotel. What kind of things do u want to know??

sharrisonb

Apr 4, 2006
stormer said:
I've stayed there several times, great hotel. What kind of things do u want to know??

The best places to eat locally inside and outside the hotel. The best beach - things to avoid and to seek out as a first time visitor

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Hello and welcome to DR1:classic:

I have stayed at this hotel on numerous occassions and it's a great value for money resort IMO.

As for food at the hotel - there are two a la carte restaurants - one is Italian and the other Brazilian. Both serve very good quality food and you can book as many times as you want however you need to be up early(ish) to book your place in the morning at the buffet.

The Italian is inside - the carbonara is my favourite dish!

The Brazilian is set outside and here they bring round various meats on large skewers straight off the grill, served at your table. There is every meat you can imagine and it's always cooked to perfection. The only gripe I have with the Brazilian is that with it being outside you get many cats joining you wanting a piece of yoru meal! Feed them and you have invited another guest to dinner...therefore it's best not to!

There are a few places within the Playa Dorada complex to eat including Hemingways & Roadways which are American style diners, A fish restaurant (behind Hemmingways - can't remember it's name) and also a chinese restaurant which I am told serves good food. I haven't eaten at the last two before so I can't speak for those however Hemmingways and Roadways are OK places to eat - a little on the steep side but that's what you would expect inside the complex. Oh I almost forgot - there is a Pizza Hut in the plaza too!

Outside the resort there are many nice restaurants along the Malecon - including Aguaseros (mexican) and Barcos (Italian) - both serve nice food and obviously cheaper than what you will pay in Playa Dorada. There is Cafe Cito (another American style restaurant) across from Playa Dorada - head east when you leave the complex and it's on your left hand side - a short walk. There are of course many many more places to eat - what types of food do you like eating? In Sosua you have many more good restaurants.

As for rooms - the Royale section of the hotel tend to be the nicer rooms, hence the price supplement. The main advantage of these rooms is that they come with a fridge and if you are on the ground floor it's stocked every day with Presidente and soft drinks! If you can get one facing the pool area these are nice.

Playa Dorada beach isn't the best on the north coast. Sosua (25 mins away west) is much nicer - clearer water, you can do some snorkelling here too. You also have Cabarete beach (15mins on from Sosua) which is very large and great for watersports. Here you can surf, kitsurf, windsurf etc etc. The beach is lined with bars and places to eat - definitely worth a visit. Go east and you have Costambar beach which tends to be nice and quiet in the week, again clear water like Sosua.

It will be cheaper for you to walk to the plaza to book your tours - there are many tour sellers there competing for your $ and you will get a better deal compared to booking at the hotel. All of the tours you mention and more can be booked there.

There are many threads on here about things to do and see in and around Puerto Plata......use the 'search' function above........and if you have any further questions, ask away ;)

(Here's one I added to the other day http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48624)

Oh - one more thing - do go and explore outside of the resort - it isn't until you venture out of those gates that the real dominican can be experienced.

Enjoy your holiday,

Daydream

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
If you like to walk, then head out along Playa Dorada beach towards the food vendors at Playa Bergantine. (it's away from all the hotels on the beach strip). You can get some great typical food, very fresh fish and it's s a pleasant mid-day walk for lunch. She even grinds her coffee beans with a mortar and peslte outside....a great family business. It's very basic, but they will make you feel very welcome.

You might want to bring some insect repellent along - sometimes once you sit down the sand fleas and skitters can sometimes get to you. But the food is inexpensive...try and go as far along as you can to the last place - Ask for Do?a Elena's Place. She will take excellent care of you - nice family, fresh fish just pulled out of the water, nice ocld beer & pop, and some nieghbourhood kids arround - very typical, friendly.

If you go, ask for Elvis (her son) tell them Dora, the rubia, sent you.

Status
Not open for further replies.