Satellite Dish Info

Crane

Apr 2, 2006
Does anyone have any info on where I can purchase a satellite dish here in the DR? I live in Sosua. If anyone has the name of a person and their contact info please let me know here or send me an email or private message. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Crane

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
If you want one for television purposes, there is a manufacturer outside of Santiago on the way to Santo Domingo - around 10 or 15 kilometers outside of town on the right hand side (if your going to Santo Domingo). I don't remember the name, but if you keep your eyes open, you'll see it easily - a few dishes out in the front of the office...

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Dish Network?? Available in the DR? ?

I've received 2 - 3 calls, always @ dinner time, from some call center in India in the past 2 weeks; asking me to buy & sign up for Dish Network, a popular US [I think] satelite service. I was told by ? that Dish Network is not available in the DR? The telemarketer insisted that it is? Any current users? Suggestions? Experiences? Good & bad. If available, usable for internet access? Local [ie DR] resources? Thank you.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Its not 'officially' available - thats why everybody pirates their signal here or has receivers that are supposed to be in the U.S.

Since the signal from Dishnetwork competitor DirecTV has changed to bad reception in the DR - many people have switched to Dishnetwork, including myself.

There are many dealers providing customers with Dishnetwork now - of course this may or may not be legal depending on your interpretation of Dominican law. In addition, Dishnetwork may figure out a way to scramble all signals so your new cardless receiver may be worthless at any moment (or work for years!).

Last edited:

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
What about if you maintain a US address as well. Can you get your Dish network and have it billed to the US address and bring the reciever to the DR. With a US dish plan you automatically get the new cards when they are issued.

Bob K

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Bob K said:
What about if you maintain a US address as well. Can you get your Dish network and have it billed to the US address and bring the reciever to the DR. With a US dish plan you automatically get the new cards when they are issued.

Bob K
Correct. But on the down side, you will need at least 2 seperate dishes, even 3 depending on the programming you want. DTV with a US address is still your best bet.Only 1 dish needed for everything.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I have stated this and I will address it again..........

There is a box that gets two Sats. with one dish having two LNB'S, you pay RD$14000 Pesos. (NO CARD )
My friend has had his for three months with "NO PROBLEM"
As soon as my contract expires I'm going this route also.
You must have a dish installed for this deal.
If I get only one year out of this then I'm still ahead of the game.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Gringo said:
There is a box that gets two Sats. with one dish having two LNB'S, you pay RD$14000 Pesos. (NO CARD )
I would have to see it to believe it. The dish I mean.

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
Gringo said:

I take these dishes only pick up US programmes. What are the chances of picking up UK channels - Sky and BBC - or at push Eurosports. Im moving over 20th June - later stages of World Cup in Germany. Of course its Englands destiny to win this year so really dont wanna miss a single match!

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Eddy said:
I would have to see it to believe it. The dish I mean.

Eddy, He is using the same dish he used with Direct TV............
As per Robert's links this is a fact and could be taken even futher.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
crazydaisy said:
I take these dishes only pick up US programmes. What are the chances of picking up UK channels - Sky and BBC - or at push Eurosports. Im moving over 20th June - later stages of World Cup in Germany. Of course its Englands destiny to win this year so really dont wanna miss a single match!

As a matter of fact my friend with this box is a Brit, So I will ask him if he is picking up any English programing.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I heard that the reception is not so good when trying to pick up two sats with one dish and two LNB's - it was recommended to me to have two dishes for proper reception. This was for Dishnetwork also maybe my dish was not compatible with the two LNB's. who knows....

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I do not know much about television dishes but I think this could be more an issue of compatibility. The correct dish that is correctly specified, certainly can carry two LNB's looking in two different directions so to speak. ;)

We often see dishes that simply make us cry with laughter (this is on the internet side). Last one I saw, had an LNB slowly swinging in the wind. Like so many things Dominican, dishes also get Dominicanized and sometimes I cannot figure out for the life of me how they get the reverse engineered, tied together with baling twine and chewing gum junk to work. Yet, sometimes it works.

Conchman said:
I heard that the reception is not so good when trying to pick up two sats with one dish and two LNB's - it was recommended to me to have two dishes for proper reception. This was for Dishnetwork also maybe my dish was not compatible with the two LNB's. who knows....

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Conchman said:
Dish TV transmit on 4 differrent satellites. The most common 2 are 119 and 110. 9 degrees apart. For the third satellite 121 You would need a dish pointed in the middle of the tthree with 3 lnb's offset. IMPOSSIBLE in the DR. Unless someone has a very large spoon shapped dish. http://www.jgscomputer.com/SuperDish.jpg Here we use 6' dishes pointed directly at each satellite and sometimes loose the signal. The links posted by Rob are for the satellites in the East. Impossible to pick them up in the west.
The super dish work in the US or Canada as they are in the centre of the footprint and we are just on the edge.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
We often get the question of TV and Internet on the same dish and if we say no, the usual answer is 'but we do it in the US'. We've had customers angry at us, saying that we're giving them a wrong story, and they're simply going to buy a little oval dish at Best Buy for 199 bucks and install and point it themselves. Thus far, we've never seen one work, but we've seen many lying around being used for birdbaths or something equally non-intended. It really is not possible in the DR to have TV and and Internet connection on the same dish at present. Yes, people have done it resulting in real bad satellite TV and an internet connection that perhaps works sometimes when the wind blows in a certain direction ;) .

Eddie's explanation makes a lot of sense - if you take that and confuse it with another LNB carrying an internet signal, you're really in for bad service. On the Internet side we also use 6 foot (1.2 meter) dishes, and in some cases 1,8 meter dishes, because of where we are situated in terms of the footprint. In the US, on the little oval shaped dishes, it is easy to physically carry two LNB?s on the dish and there are a number of satellites to point to both for television and for an internet connection.

For internet, we now have many more options in the Caribbean. We have satellites with footprints covering specifically the Caribbean, Central America and South America. In a sense, our job has become easier as we do not have to mess with half-legal television signals from other countries and can offer completely legal services. For internet connections as well, we use mostly top of the line dishes, specifically designed for an internet connection, and we don't use dishes made for receiving a television signal.