Hollywood Au Tropicale (the mang? guys would love this one)

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Dominican Republic Poised to Become the New 'Hollywood' of Latin America

Last edited:

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I merged this because it is the same topic just on two different posts.

Interesting story by the way. Let's hope they can make it happen. It will be good for the DR (I think hehe).

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Dr1 Travel News,

Vin Diesel to film in DR [FONT=Verdana, Arial]
The actor best known as a tough guy action hero was in Santo Domingo over the weekend to attend a concert by his close friend Ja Rule on Sunday, 8 August. He made the news for donning tennis shoes and shorts, riding a bike and touring the city of Santo Domingo “like any normal citizen,” as reported in the local press. He told reporters: “I feel free in the DR.”
An hour later, he held a press conference about his plans to film in the DR. He thrilled reporters by using Dominican slang phrases such as “Ta ‘to” and “como ta mi gente” and “que buena tu ta.”
Also on his agenda were meetings with President Leonel Fernandez and Santo Domingo Mayor Roberto Salcedo. “I cannot explain how good it feels to come to my country. The reason why I say this is my country is that it has something special that many forget. Here there are more persons with European and African ancestry than anywhere else in the world, which makes the Dominican Republic a mecca for all of us who are the result of a mix of races,” he told El Caribe.
Vin Diesel announced he would star in a film telling the story of a Dominican who goes to NY in search of the American Dream.
He said the film would showcase the magic of culture. He also said that he wanted to contribute to promoting the DR as a great place for making movies, as reported in El Caribe.
Vin Diesel is best known for his films “The Fast & the Furious”, “Pitch Black” and “XXX”. He also had major roles in “Boiler Room” and “Saving Private Ryan”, as well as providing the lead voice-over in the Warner Bros. animated movie “The Iron Giant”. He is one of Hollywood's fastest rising stars, and one of the best paid. On the IMDB.com web site, there are three Vin Diesel films listed as in production: Hitman (2007), Rockfish (2007) and Hannibal (2006). A thread on the DR1 forums discusses his visit.
[/FONT]