Police brutality in the Dom. Rep.

playagirl

Feb 8, 2006
I usually don't like bad mouthing my country, but I am outraged. As some of you might know from reading previous post, I am From San Francisco de Macoris. Well just last night a friend of mine got killed by the police right in front of my house. They were looking for a man that killed a policeman and decided that he might be it since to their knowledge he looked like the killer.
As some of you might know, when a police officer (if they can be call that) is killed, the police department starts going through every neighborhood to look for the killer, well I guess it was time for this poor guy, who was actually on vacation for the first time since he moved to Spain.
He was sitting en la galleria (front porch) of the house when the police car passed by. One of them said doesn't he look like the killer and the other one said oh think he does. They drag him out of the house and shoot both of his legs. Then another officer came in and said "Pa' eso matalo" (for that kill him) and shot his head.
Not because he was my friend or anything, but this guy was one of the nicest, educated young man I have ever meet. He was always respectful and by no means was a killer.
I don't even think this can be called police brutality, it goes a lot further than that, I mean didn't they killed Trujillo for doing things like this.

I am tired of this kind of things happening in our country, they did not even asked him anything, and without even knowing anything about this kid they just killed him. This kid was 23 years old; I am so frustrated right now that my stomach hurts.

Am not sure if this is ever going to stop, but it needs to. I am tire of police officers going around killing people, cutting their hair because they are against man having long hair, ripping earrings off because man should not wear earrings and so on. I thought police force was there to protect the public not to kill them or act like judges. I don't even know why we have a justice system, because we surely don't use it.

This is something the government should work on, it's like they are going out recruiting criminals that will kill just for the fun of it. Something needs to be done, hiring educated people, having guidelines for god sakes. It?s like a police man in our country goes out and does what ever they want and nobody can say anything about it and even if they do nothing gets done.
Supposedly police man are put on the street to take out the criminals, I think they are the criminals that should be taken out of the streets.

To tell you the truth I don?t even know what more to say about what should be done about this situation, I can?t even describe my feelings at the moment.
All I know is that there is a 23 year old nice young man is dead right now and that probably nothing will get done about it, how sad.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Wow, I'm sorry for your friend and his family, try to calm down and see how you can contribute as a witness to bring justice but also be careful, I can't believe they would think they were justify to come and just pick anyone and shoot him point blank, is barbaric, I thought the DR was better training its police force, that sounds like the countries in Africa where does dictators want to eliminate the oposition and don't ask questions. Take it easy.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
A shame but the same old story-

Countries in Africa? Will Africa ever get a break in this lifetime?

This police problem is one of the DR's 'por excelencia' and the cure must come from within a rotten corrupt system.

Playagirl I sympathize with you wholeheartedly and your post has very good starting points that can be used as a platform for change.

-LDG.

Last edited:

playagirl

Feb 8, 2006
Unfurtunately, i am not an eye witness, i know all this is a fact because my aunt who lives two houses away from mine was there. Thank you for your words but there is no way i can take it easy, not only it hurts me because he was my friend, also i can't stop thinking that it could have been my ouncle or cousin who live in the house. Also there are little kids in my house, and you imagin how they feel if they actually saw this.
Also this happens alot in the DR, believe it or not.
I will be in DR saturday, know i will be going to his funeral instead of hanging out with him as i always do when i visit.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Yes this does happen frequently here and with the current pressure on to reduce delinquency, the police are using that as a carte blanche to react aggressively. I have photographed several funerals of young men, and women, who were assassinated by the police here over the years. And there is very little that one can do, presently -- but I think that may change. While the police "apparently" acted with resolve against the officers who were responsible for shooting the the young girl and her aunt in Pueblo Nuevo, Santiago, there are countless other incidents where no hue and cry is raised because, well, it's the barrios and "those people" dont count.

The problem is that the MO and ethics of Johnny Abbas's boys in their cepillos are still more or less in place, so the police act with impunity, and there is popular support for such tactics: how many times have you heard some anciano aver, "things were better in Trujillo's time, there was law and order"?

Moreover, the police force is perceived as a conduit to personal enrichment. The officer on the street earns less than a Zona Franca worker, it is impossible for him to get by on such a salary, so he abuses his office in order to collect bribes. The police are in fact criminals, and this has always been so. And why not? their superior officers do it, and if the line officer were not to cooperate with the system, he would be considered a "pendejo" and would also not be trusted (remember the movie Serpico?)

"I don't even know why we have a justice system, because we surely don't use it."

Well, in fact we dont have a strong justice system here, the institutional structure of our justice system here is too weak, it does not command loyalty to the abstract principles of right and justice. It is well to bear that in mind. If you have money, you will acquitted. An uncle in my own family here, who is a bit of a useless bugger, bought off the authorities so he could avoid going to prison on murder charges (though it appears that this was in fact a justifiable homicide). This happens all the time, and everyone knows it.

The only way that any of this will change is if grassroots rights organizations are developed and tackle these issues using the international press as an ally. This is what has been happening recently vis a vis the dreadful abuses that occur on the bateys, and the NGOS in conjunction with the international press have managed to make a dent in the system and compel some change (at least on paper). As for police procedures, the DR has been heavily criticized by Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch for its dismal record on this score, but we are a long way from getting the govt to do something about it.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
You are lucky you are not an eyewitness.

The police killed a pregnant woman and her 12 year old niece becuase they saw them killing someone else in my wife's neighborhood a few weeks ago.

Only because the neighborhood had a major riot that went on for days and a mob tossed the woman's coffin into the front door of the local city hall was anything done about it. (there were a couple of arrests, I still doubt there will be any serious punishment for these uniformed murderers.)

playagirl

Feb 8, 2006
I was just talking to my cousin's wife, she was telling me exactly how everything happened and how they said they will kill anybody that would intervene. At the time she was carrying her 3 months old baby. You are right I am lucky I was not an eye witness, because probably I would have gotten killed as well. I have no tolerance for things like these and no control over myself, and would have instinctively reacted.
The poor guy had guandules that he had purchase for his sister to cook.
Not only they killed him, they also drag him through the street as if he was a dog and just drop him in their car.

You are right something needs to be done and it will take time, but big changes go by slowly, baby steps.

Sep 19, 2005
funny , I read last month about a judge who threw two defendants drug cases out , because the police beat the suspects...

I guess in the DR is the police use brutality the defendant goes free.

so thats probably why they kill so much...they want justice( or think they are getting it) and since they injure the defendant, they know it will get tossed...so they go ahead and kill the suspect...to ASSURE their belief justice is done!

bob

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I'm sorry for your friend playagirl, what a terrible story. But, apparently nothing new. I'm affraid this kind of thing will probably never be changed from within, and that international media (the ones in North America and Europe on which the Dominican Republic relies for aid and investment) and NGOs are the instruments to use. I think that if arranged smartly your story might well be picked up by some and might be a small step in bringing about some change. Unfortunately, this will not bring back your friend.

Last edited:

playagirl

Feb 8, 2006
That makes nosense, i assure you that they did not walk because they were beating, but because they payed the judge. I am sure that if this guys would had no money they will be still be in jail.
I hope i got you wrong, because there is no excuse to kill a human being that way, specially when he hasn't done anything.
I hope you don't think this is a way to make justice and again my opologies if i got you wrong, but if i didn't, i can tell you that because of that mentallity is why the Dom. Rep. is the way it is. Full of criminals, poverty and curruption.

playagirl

Feb 8, 2006
Thanks ggrande for your good thoughts, but my good thoughts are really to be with his family, specially his sister who saw them kill him and was able to do nothing.
Just wanted to let you guys know, that my cousin just called me and told me how he saw a news report in which this case was mentioned.
The news report stated that he was killed in a police shootout and that he was photograph with a gun next to him. Obviously they took this picture after taking him to where ever it is that they take the people they kill.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
unfortunately in the DR you should always travel with your "get out of jail free" card. I have a friend whose lawyer is the son of a former attorney general. My friend carries the man's business card with him wherever he goes, and producing it is like waving a magic wand: the cops leave you in peace. That is how it works down here. Everything depends on who you know.

I think that those of you who will join the lines at the theatres when La Fiesta del Chivo opens will be forced to conclude that things have not changed all that much after all.

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
I'm Sorry...

Your post is a reminder to me why the DR is ranked #85 on the Transparency International's Corruption Perceptions Index, behind Lebanon (#83) and Rwanda (#84.)

-Helpmann :(

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
At first I didn't understand the American mentality when it came to protecting the civil rights of known hardcore criminal at all cost. Now I do, see for my civil rights to be protected the rights of all human being, including criminals must also be protected, without hesitation. In the DR, the populace rejoyces when the police executes a hardcore criminal, eventhough it is outright wrong. The populace don't understand that by not demanding the civil rights of criminals to be protected, they are giving the Police green light to do whatever they wish and to whomever.

In this very sad case, an innocent person was dragged out of his home without probable cause and executed. The police to cover its crime, puts a gun next to the body and airs it on TV to make it look like they killed a hardcore criminal. Eventhough, to the locals it was a crime committed by the police, to the rest of the country it was another criminal being killed and therefore no mass protest will occur and nothing will be done to stop it.

I would like to know if any witness had the balls to video tape the incident. On my last trip I saw a lot of people with camera cell phones. Just wondering.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
There are alot of things about the US that are easier to appreciate when you see the way things are done here. It's still nice to be in the DR, but if I was a Dominican and had no choice I would probably be pretty upset about it.

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
MrMike said:
There are alot of things about the US that are easier to appreciate when you see the way things are done here. It's still nice to be in the DR, but if I was a Dominican and had no choice I would probably be pretty upset about it.

...... and do what I could to get out of the country.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Convincing the Skipper

leromero said:
...... and do what I could to get out of the country.

...even if it means killing people:
In Las Terrenas three heavily armed men "hired" a boat from a Frenchman, picked up about 30 "passengers" and gasoline near El Lim?n and made off to PR....
The French owner of the boat and a tourist were very lucky not to have been killed in the operation.

m'frog

playagirl

Feb 8, 2006
Re:

I would like to know if any witness had the balls to video tape the incident. On my last trip I saw a lot of people with camera cell phones. Just wondering.[/QUOTE said:
I understand what you mean, but i guess nobody had the balls. Also, understand something, there are kids in my house, they were all home, so were some neighbors, i will bet that the first thing they thought about was getting those kids to safety.
Unfortunately nobody recorded this and i bet probably nobody is going to testify because there were several men involved. They will be putting their lifes at risk.

playagirl

Feb 8, 2006
Hello guys just got back from the DR and wanted to give you a little update on this. I came to find out that the Dominican police has a mayor business with organ trafficking. As laurapasinifan mentioned, police are killing people because judges are letting them out. Well this is not the case they are killing everyone they can get there hands on because they are selling their organs.
My friend was given back to his family the next day in the afternoon. When he was taken to the funeral home, they discover that all his organs were taken.
Supposedly this is very big in DR now; this is just to show that the DR is getting more corrupted by the second.
That the corruption problem in our country instead of getting better is getting worst.

Shame on them.

boogieman

Mar 30, 2006
im SHOCKED just reading this!

kinda makes me thing twice about moving to a 'wild west' country.

do foreigners get ****ed with as badly as the locals?