As long as the infected rooster is not the one you bet on, who cares! :cheeky:

Just kidding...

-NALs

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Thomas Maracle said:
are people afraid of the bird flu infecting their roosters?:surprised

Thomas, all local roosters are already infected with the bird flu, except that frequent exposure to the virus has given them immunity from expressing overt symptoms of the disease, like death. However, more than one errant migratory fowl has made the unforgivable mistake of landing near the local infected roosters, with the usual published tragic results... Those are the foul fowls.

-

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I think the OP is refering to the H5N1 strain of bird flu that is currently causing fear of an impending pandemic.

As much as I enjoyed meeting Mirador at the DR1 dinner I am going to have to disagree with the information in his post. (seems like a flashback to our dinner conversation, eh ;) )

There are many many strains of bird flu and the H5N1 strain has not been reported here. If it does make its way here rest assured that fighting cocks and other fowl will die from the disease unless they have been innoculated.

You also seem to have the usual method of transference reversed, it is migratory birds that infect domestic birds for the most part, not local domestic birds infecting migratory birds as your post suggests.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Expatsooner, with a little bit of research, you will notice that the migration patterns and timing of wild birds from East Asia do not correspond to the pattern and timing of H5N1 outbreaks throughout the world. Migratory wild birds are not the source, or even vectors for H5N1. Wild birds are being used as scapegoat (more like scapefowl ;-) for the spreading of H5N1?

-

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I would think that you must look at all migratory patterns not only those that originate from Asia. Also wild birds are carriers as may be evidenced from positive tests carried out on the bodies of dead birds collected by medical teams.

There is also this point to consider - are you talking about outbreaks among fowl or humans? If it is humans and you are using the WHO data to correlate migratory routes to outbreaks please keep in mind that WHO has very strict guildelines to follow before it will "confirm" an incident of any disease. Many probable cases of bird flu will not be included in their confirmed cases data.

But my original answer to the OP stands - no need at this point to be worried about the H5N1 strain of the bird flu affecting fighting chickens (cocks or hens) on the island of Hispanola.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear OP: You can rest assured that if there is the slightest risk of H5N1 reaching the Dominican bird population (which I have to suppose does exist since there are several well-known migrations each year (apart from Snow Birds, that is)) the owners of the fighting stock will take all and every precaution to save their "trabas". There is just too much money invested in these birds to chance it.

I would bet that several of the larger trabas have already looked at innoculations--Bonetti and those guys for example...

Mirador: Ever with tongue firmly in cheek??

Cordially,

HB :D:D:D:D

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Hillbilly said:
Dear OP:... the owners of the fighting stock will take all and every precaution to save their "trabas".

Regrettably they chose the option of sealing them in plastic bags.

sosuajames

Mar 8, 2005
i'd be more worried about the aids problem. how many tourists go to the dominican republic as sex tourists. last year i was talking tothe owner of a certain bar in sosua(wont mention names because the advertising police might delete my post). he sais that he and his wife work closly with a hatian shanty and the only people in the small community of 50 or so people that didn't have aids were the two senior citisens.

cock fights-i'm keeping mine in my pants-you win