Dear all, its time to quit.

diego

Aug 16, 2003
Yes I am talking about DR1.
Have you noticed as of lately how new people coming to this Board to ask a question, start with an Apology?
Have you noticed that the Insults are getting stronger and more frequent?
Have you noticed how many of the regulars that posted a year or two ago, are no longer posting, because they are disgusted with what’s happening on this Board?
I have been a reader of DR1 for 8 years and have found some great and useful Information here. I also have met a number of the posters and have made some friends.

I have been accused of being a Pedophile on DR1, and learned who’s Opinion to trust and who my Friends are on this Board. Many of the Posters here are also my Clients including the one that accused me.

Edited out. He in glass houses shouldn't throw stones

Hillbilly, Rocky, Ken, Timex, Eddy just to mention a few, thanks for your help and advice in the past, without People like you this board would loose it’s credibility and go down the drain.
Diego

Last edited by a moderator:

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Frankly it saddens me to read this post. Diego I hope you will reconsider. In a pm to another member whose input I have come to respect and enjoy, I expressed much the same disgust for what I am seeing here, but he reminded me that there are many dedicated members here who consistently help others and enter into discussions with genuine enthusiasm and affection for the DR and for those of us who somehow have found our way here. There is a long string of names I could mention: Lesley D, Chirimoya, Hillbilly, Exxtol, Chris (not Criss), Miguel, Tordok, Diego, Ricardo900, DRPAWA, Ricksnyder, NALS, Anna C, Texasbill, drbill, and countless others whom I may not yet have had the chance to meet, but I have seen their posts and recognize their valuable contributions. (I hope I spelled all the names right, and any other deserving names that ought to appear on this list, well it is only my raging chest cold that is preventing me from remembering it. A thousand pardons!)

I feel a bit chagrined because I indulged in the mudslinging on the thread about poor Ivan's desire to set up a shelter for children here. But I had had enough. This was the third time, maybe the fourth, in which a new member to the board was subjected to a puerile attack on their character, and in the other threads the people were equally galled by their reception, and of course, they stopped posting. I wont deny that I had my fun taking on these senile know-nothings that plague the board with their unfunny and unhelpful remarks, but DR1 doesnt exist for the purpose of honing one's invective (though it is in fact a time-honored genre and was taught by the Greeks in the schools of Rhetoric!). We are here to provide helpful advice and share our love of this quirky but beautiful island.

I was a teacher before I became a photographer, so I have deep faith in pedagogy and the obligation to share knowledge. I had hoped that DR1 was the place to do it. Many of these young people who come to us asking questions are the very kind of people who will contribute great things to this nation. They will work for change. They may be young, idealistic, a bit innocent -- but there is no point in setting upon them like a pack of rabid dogs; we should shephard them and help them to make the contributions they are willing to make.

For now, I am going to continue posting, yo sigo pa'lante y con f? (to quote one of my favorite salseros.)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There is a good point being made here.
I also have noticed that new posters often start with an apology, for fear of being jumped on.
I think that I was a member of DR1 for a year, before ever posting.
I do believe it was even rougher in those days with the likes of Escott & XR doing battle all over the place.
Although there is room for improvement, IMHO it's already a lot better than it used to be, and we certainly can make greater efforts to shut anyone down who is being out of line, so as to continue improving.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If you having problems with DR1, go find some other sites.
The Internet is full of them and they are free just like us.

Instead of dumping shi$% on us, do something about it.
This place is what your make it, like any community, you get your good and bad.
You need the balance and that's just one of the reasons why DR1 is most probably one of the best and most active message boards in the Caribbean.

Or... You could use the ignore function???

yawn.jpg

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Rocky said:
I think that I was a member of DR1 for a year, before ever posting.
I do believe it was even rougher in those days with the likes of Escott & XR doing battle all over the place.
Although there is room for improvement, IMHO it's already a lot better than it used to be, and we certainly can make greater efforts to shut anyone down who is being out of line, so as to continue improving.

I,too, think that it was rougher in the "old" days. Then I was one of those complaining about how everybody was jumped on. I also remember when we moved to the current format and tolerated less that a number of posters talked of quitting the board because the fun was being taken out of it.

At first I thought it was just one person that had an issue with the board, but subsequent posts by others in this thread suggest there may be something to the complaint. If we are moving, however slowly, toward an attack attitude, then I think this would be a good time for moderators to take a close look at how they are handling their powers. The purpose of the moderators, as I understand it, is to control the tone of the various threads so that there is lively discussion on matters that lend itself to that without anybody feeling abused.

With respect to Robert's post, I usually think he is right on, but in this case I respectfully suggest it might be a good idea to take some soundings to see whether there is increasing concern. When somebody like Eddy says he has started noticing an apologetic attitude on the part of new posters, I think it would be wise to assess whether there is reason to be a bit concerned.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Ken, this topic comes up from time time. It's normal, this is a message board based on a living community. It has it's good times and it's bad times, just like any community. If you have good, you need bad, if you have smart posters, you need idiots. This balance is what helps make message boards succesfull.

Tomorrow is another day and we will have drama of another type, that's how it is.

I think the moderators are doing an outstanding job and have no plans to change anything.

If someone is unhappy with the way DR1 is run or the job moderators are doing. I encourage them to step up and take on some of the work load and help make this a better place.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
It is a discussion board on the internet. Don't take it so personal. It is a great way to voice ideas and learn. Discussion is meant to be a learning tool. You throw your ideas out there and they come back to you beat up. You learn something.

Most people understand that people are just that, people. We come in all shapes and sizes. We all have opinions, some at odds with our own. But most people can separate the opinions from the person. Bash the opinions and like the person. I read a lot of opinions on here that I don't like. But I am sure I would like the person.

diego

Aug 16, 2003
Robert said:
You need the balance and that's just one of the reasons why DR1 is most probably one of the best and most active message boards in the Caribbean.
Yes you are right DR1 is the most active message board in the Caribbean, but why is that? Because of ricktoronto and Criss Colon and alike insulting Visitors to your website? NO. Its because of people like me sending you traffic from our websites.
Literally hundreds if not thousand of websites send you traffic every day, without them you have nothing. I for my part have 31 websites linking to DR1 and I think I will pull the plug. I also have 49 affiliate websites linking to you and I may advice them to do the same. One of my Affiliates in Orlando operates over 300 Sites,most of which have a link to DR1.
Maybe that will get your attention, talking down people ?from the Towers of DR1 high above downtown Santo Domingo? that are trying to help you to make a living is not the way to go, but maybe you are getting a kick out of reading the posts by your buddies.
I don?t see you deleting their garbage but you are deleting my comments about them.

Robert said:
Instead of dumping shi$% on us, do something about it.
Maybe I will.
Anybody wants to be the OP of a new message board? I send you all the traffic you can handle. My main website gets over 5000 unique visitors a day, (Sorry Robert that one does not have a link to DR1)

Robert you contacted me about 4 years ago asking me where I live because you like to meet the people who send lots of Traffic to DR1, I told you and I am still waiting on you.
I wrote you a couple times but you choose to ignore my mails. I tried talking to you during the last Thanks giving dinner at Rocky?s, but you just waived me off.
Sorry to have disturbed you then, you where deep in Conversation with escott, who you now have dropped like a hot potato.

I am sorry that I don?t have a picture of a little fox to add to this message or a picture of a little Napoleon

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Well I have no problem with a bit of rough and tumble, but the truth is what took place on the Ivan thread was not "discussion," there was no "learning tool" in evidence there, and the purpose of discussion is not to beat up on people. by all means point out the shortcomings in logic, lack of evidence and all the other things that are permitted in the arena of ideas, I have no problem with that, and I have no problem with a bit of invective from time to time. Invective if it is well handled is one tool in the debater's bag of tricks. But other sites do not subject people to the kind of silly tirade that we witnessed there and in a couple other threads.

Robert, no one, that I can see anyway, is dumping **** on DR1. I certainly didnt intend that interpretation in my post. But one doesnt "need" a mix of the good and bad for "balance." One gets the bad with the good, so be it. But it is not part of what makes DR1 a useful site. The "balance" that makes the site work is the mix of different people here with different viewpoints, the various types of information offered, the very well organized boards, and the intelligence of your members. Am I arguing for greater censure on the part of the moderators? -- no. I happen to run a large site for photographers around the world: in little over a year we have grown to over 7000 members globally and by the end of 2006 we will surely double that. We have no moderators on that site, even though the occasional nazi gets on there and rants. We have had a few spats, but very few, and I chalk that up to the fact that the community exists largely to help photographers to get their jobs done, and that emphasis appears to keep most people in line. We would never dream of censuring people, the thing is so anarchic that it would be hard to do so anyway, but the anarchy has in fact bred a system that works, and we have had good luck with it so far. There are of course some basic rules, but we dont let these get too complicated or obtrusive.

Now, DR1 of course is a bit different, because it covers so much ground, and there are many different types of people who visit the DR from all over the world,so it is bound to have disputes. Again, that in itself doesnt much bother me, I can take care of myself. But the puerile behavior of some members does not make this board any better, far from it. It is annoying.

I appreciate the hard task you have running this thing, and I wish I had something more concrete to offer you. Well as Snuffy says, it is a discussion board, dont take it personally. I for one applaud your achievement, but I am letting it be known that I wont stand for any **** from the half wits on here.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
diego said:
Yes you are right DR1 is the most active message board in the Caribbean, but why is that? Because of ricktoronto and Criss Colon and alike insulting Visitors to your website? NO. Its because of people like me sending you traffic from our websites.
Literally hundreds if not thousand of websites send you traffic every day, without them you have nothing. I for my part have 31 websites linking to DR1 and I think I will pull the plug. I also have 49 affiliate websites linking to you and I may advice them to do the same. One of my Affiliates in Orlando operates over 300 Sites,most of which have a link to DR1.
I'll be honest, I have absolutley no idea what sites you are talking about, please send me a PM with the links, don't spam the board. FYI, the majority of our traffic is from search engines.

If your not happy, I suggest you remove all your links to DR1.
Unless your either Larry or Sergey from Google. If that's the case, hey man, I'm sorry, your doing a fantastic job and everything you have ever said is on the money.

Your right, thousands of sites link to us. I wonder why that is? I guess we are doing something right.

Let's not forget that CC did a fantastic job of moderating the most "boisterous" forum for a number of years. Sorry, but your wasting your time talking to me about past and present moderators. If you have a personal issue with someone, I suggest you send them a PM and take it up with them directly. Don't wate you time posting it here, it will either get deleted or edited out.

diego said:
Robert you contacted me about 4 years ago asking me where I live because you like to meet the people who send lots of Traffic to DR1, I told you and I am still waiting on you.
You sure have a better memory than me, an email 4 years ago. I can't even remember who I sent an email to 4 days ago.

diego said:
I wrote you a couple times but you choose to ignore my mails. I tried talking to you during the last Thanks giving dinner at Rocky?s, but you just waived me off.
Once again, I have no idea what your talking about. If you actually knew me, then you would know how stupid your last comment about waving you off actually was.

diego said:
Sorry to have disturbed you then, you where deep in Conversation with escott, who you now have dropped like a hot potato.
Sometimes when you give someone enough rope on a message board, they evetually hang themselves. These things happen, life is not perfect.

diego said:
I am sorry that I don?t have a picture of a little fox to add to this message or a picture of a little Napoleon
Send me an email and I'll be sure to reply and attach one for you.
Please don't wait 4 years to remind me, I might have deleted it by then.

Next....

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Let me add...

Diago, I went back and looked at some of your old posts.

Now I know who you are, your the owner of Latin Affairs.
I think you have had your fair share of exposure on DR1 over the years, good and bad. In fact, on more than one occasion I have removed threads that brought you lots of "heat". Remember Polonsky? But hey, don't thank me, just buy me a beer next time you see me in Rocky's ;)

I have never met you in my life and you have never introduced your self to me. So I have no idea what your talking about when you say I "waived you off" at Rockys.

The only link you have to DR1 is via our "Hot Sites" list.
You have sent us 1941 visitors since you signed up.
DR1 has sent you over 9,500+ visitors.

I did you a favor as you are obviously not happy with DR1, I removed your link on the "Hot Sites".

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
macocael...

I do not read every post, some days we have 300+.
This is why we have a great crew of moderators.

The thread your referring to was in the Business forum, it's now been moved and cleaned up.

I appreciate the hard task you have running this thing, and I wish I had something more concrete to offer you. Well as Snuffy says, it is a discussion board, dont take it personally. I for one applaud your achievement, but I am letting it be known that I wont stand for any **** from the half wits on here.

Thanks for the kind words, we try our best.

Like we always say, if your not happy with DR1, we offer a 100% money back guarantee ;)

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
MrMike said:
I am but a lowly American but this sentence does not seem to make any sense.

Is it a typo, or Engrish, like "all your base are belong to us"?
I could be wrong Mike, but I think Robert meant "You're ('you are' abreviated) NO better than the people you're moaning about".

Robert.
Whereas I accept that some 'Belly-aching' on this site can be someone looking for their 5 minutes of fame or just sounding off unneccessarily, I think it is behoven upon those that run a notice board to be a bit more sympathetic to criticism. We have had these comments before & doubtless we will have them again, but in THIS case I think you might consider asking yourself (& maybe the long term contributors) IF there is a concern & how they feel it might be resolved. Diego made a point & you got 'All Upitty' - no need for that as with empathy you might have found something a bit deeper in what he was saying & kept at least ONE good poster.

It would appear from the comments of one or two other longer term posters, there IS something amiss & they would like to discuss it here if at all possible. Might I suggest you give them that chance & consider a little more carefully what you are saying as they come across (I am sure unintentionally) as being dismissive of any criticism.

I would agree with MNarco that the tone in general HAS improved over recent months - some of the "confrontational" posters have moved on, the ones who used to ARGUE with the confrontational posters have toned down their desire to respond in like manner, & in general things seem more harmonious. Still a lot of people asking foolish questions that can be checked out with a 'google search' or bit of internet probling & STILL too many people referring to the DR as the Dominican - but I suppose I can live with that if I have too!!:ermm:

Diego.
If you have something you wish to complain about or raise as a concern, do so with conviction & reasoned argument - threatening to go will not get you too much sympathy. I don't read all the posts here - I don't have the time to wade through some of the childishness on some posts, so I don't know what & where you allude to. I looked briefly at the 'Ivan' thread, saw it was getting out of my interest level & thereafter ignored it. The same with the one where some girl was trying to find out about a hotel worker - in fact, the Sankie Forum is an out & out 'No No' as far as I am concerned (Sorry Anna). It is quite easy to by-pass threads & forums & generally they will continue until they find their own 'Breaking Point'! ~ Grahame.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Grahame...

Most changes you see on DR1 are due to visitor feedback, good and bad.
We listen and we change when change is needed.

We have a few new moderators and it will take time for them to settle in and
impart their personality in the forums they look after.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Robert said:
This place is what your make it, ...
I humbly disagree. When threads and blogs get REMOVED, this place is what you make it, not us. :nervous:

diego

Aug 16, 2003
Just like the old saying goes ?Offence is the best Defense?
Defend you?re buddies all you want, they are still full of it and you know it.
Both combined have over 8000 postings mostly insulting YOUR Visitors.
Look at it this way, there is a very large mall where DR1 has a small store, thousands of websites send you potential buyers, they enter the DR1 store and ask the helpful people in there some questions, most people answer to the best of their ability and are trying to help. But then you have a few Guys in there jumping all over your Visitors and possible Purchasers of you?re products, or the products of Companies paying you to advertise on your site.
Now if I was one of your new Visitors I would get the hell out of your Store.

Let me explain something to you, and I try and keep it simple
Lots of traffic from many websites means recognition by search engines.
So the traffic and ranking you get is not because you?re a genius at submitting your website or writing code, it?s because there are thousands of sites sending you Visitors.

Over the last 2 Months DR1 went up 2,099 positions to an all time high of 12725 on the Alexa Rating chart, but today?s position of DR1 is only 20,334
Wait till your advertisers find out that your'e traffic is going down.

Robert said:
I removed your link on the "Hot Sites". Don't waste you time posting it here, it will either get deleted or edited out.

This just show?s you how trigger happy you are with the delete button.
Maybe calling you Napoleon was not right.
Maybe I should call you Hitler since anybody you don?t like you just delete.

Robert said:
If you actually knew me, then you would know how stupid your last comment about waving you off actually was.I can't even remember who I sent an email to 4 days ago.
How can anybody expect you to remember what happen 4 years ago or last year or last month, if you cant seem to remember what happen 4 days ago?

Robert said:
Remember Polonsky?.....
Yes I do he is my Partner, and I am glad you brought this up.
Let me bring you up to speed
There where 3 lengthy post about me, you deleted one of them entirely
My good friend scotty who attended my Wedding and then started the Thread in question refrained from posting here for 2 or 3 months, and now every time he posts I hear a big sucking sound.
Martin Dorst who started the legal stuff against my Partner and me is now in Jail.
His Helper in Cabarete is now in Jail. His Lawyer here in Sosua lost his License.
The Reporter who reported this to channel 5 with the dramatic picture he took of all my CD?S and my Kids Computers is now in Jail.
The Boss of the DNI police lost his Job over the whole Affair.
The 24 year old Minor Prostitute is now a happy Mother, and what we didn?t know at the time was that my wife was pregnant as well, but she lost her Baby 2 weeks before Christmas.
Thanks for reminding me.

Diego

Sep 19, 2005
good, bad, or indifferent.....the fact that I can read what you have to say here...says something.

if it was strictly a dictatorship here we would never read posts like yours.

I cant remember any wesite that I have enjoyed that didnt have agitators and people who just post to start rifts, and trouble...

there is absolutely no way of getting away from that.

of course how and when , and whos posts get deleted does reflect directly on the site......seldom does it seem fair on any web site how some are deleted and others arent.

As much as i would love for some people who have NOTHING but negativety to add to as many post as they can find to get banned or deleted.......I hate the notion of sensorship......

some days it rains

bob