"Take them all out of here..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Cardinal Nicolas Lopez Rodriguez is reported to have said "expel all homosexuals from the Colonial Zone. Make a show of taking them all out of here." I was not aware that the Colonial Zone was such a hotbed of homosexuals. Burning them all at the stake might be a novel tourist attraction
Methinks he doth protest too much....Oops!! that sounds like the Inquisition at my door... Canadian Bob (Perplexed)

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Backlash

canadian bob said:
Cardinal Nicolas Lopez Rodriguez is reported to have said "expel all homosexuals from the Colonial Zone. Make a show of taking them all out of here." I was not aware that the Colonial Zone was such a hotbed of homosexuals. Burning them all at the stake might be a novel tourist attraction
Methinks he doth protest too much....Oops!! that sounds like the Inquisition at my door... Canadian Bob (Perplexed)

Bob, it is no secret that the Colonial Zone is increasingly becoming a 'gay ghetto'. However, it is less well known that the Colonial Zone is the Cardinal's own neighborhood. He lives there! (there goes the neighborhood ;-). Early this week, a respected community leader, a known lobyiest against the boisterous gay bars and nightlife in the Zona, was shot at. Fortunately, the bullets misses her, leaving 14 bullets holes in her front door. The increasing militancy of the gay community in the Colonial Zone is underestimating the Cardinal's political influence...

-

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Oh no, it's the homos!!!

How hypocritical can one be? Isn't he aware that the catholic church literally teems with homosexuals? If the country were to take him up on his suggestion, I wonder how many of his brethren would have to be expelled!
Not only is this man living in the past, but it is an insult to gays. Not to mention a very damaging blow to the biggest industry in DR; to wit: TOURISM!

This religious fanatic may have done irreparable damage to DR's economy!
It is homophobic demigods like him that should be expelled or at least be made to compensate the thousands of people who depend directly or indirectly on all the alternate lifestylers who now frequent our poor country but can just as easily move on somewhere else.

This man has got to stop spewing vile and get on with the times!
Cardinal Rodriguez, go suck a big one!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
First and foremost,

I am no fanatic of the catholic church, but I am a non-practicing Catholic (only go on the important days, for example this Sunday is Palm Sunday, I have to go).

I also don't mind peoples disgust or different opinions of the cardinal, but please, can we have a little respect here.

Ok, so the guy is a homophobic who constantly harrases the gay community with his public claims and suggestions. This is expected of religious leaders, especially from the Catholic Church.

Can we please criticize this guy without disrespecting him.

It's one thing to not agree with someone, it's another to disrespect them.

While the Cardinal has asked for the expulsion of the gays from the colonial zone, we are not in the 1600s and his desire to get the gays out of the zone may fall on deaf ears or be partially followed up.

Another thing for people to keep in mind is that Santo Domingo was supposed to be the epicenter of the ecclasiastical expansion into the Western Hemisphere. Take a look at most of the historic structures, they most prominent are mostly religious in nature. The colonial zone was supposed to become and to a certain extent it kind of did, a new world version of the Vatican. It's understandable why the Cardinal would ask for gays to be expelled from a neighborhood that probably has more religious oriented buildings in its highest concentration in the entire country.

Besides, the Colonial Zone is less than 1% of the urban area of Santo Domingo. It's not as if he wants the gays expelled from the country or something.

Do I agree with the Cardinal? I am not sure yet.

Do I think he needs to be grossly bashed? No, the guy deserves the most basic of respects. As much as many people hate the Catholic Church and it's leader, it's still an institution that merits at least the most basic respects.

Don Juan, you last sentence is uncalled for.

And, to finish, remember this: the Cardinal is given space on the mediums of communication out of tradition, not many people will listen as is usually the case.

-NALs

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Religious fanatics: The scourge of the earth.

Mr. Nals, This man has absolutely no respect for people who happen to be gay. Each one of us is an individual with our own predilections and partialities. condemning one persons gender-preference is analogous to saying you hate them. And hate is not a word that should be in anyone's vocabulary, much less in someone's like Cardinal Rodriguez.
The bible teaches us to be tolerant of those different from you and I. Someone's fondness are none of anyone's business. If DR is to be considered a free and democratic country, statements like his should be expunged and damned as the opinion of a very ignorant and arrogant son of a bitch!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'm with NALS on this Don Juan. You are way off base. You have your opinion and the right to express it; so does the Cardinal. The way you express yourself is exactly what you are criticizing the Cardinal for.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Hey, it?s DR, not Amsterdam !!!

Gays have to respect local culture and sport a lower profile... It?s just basic respect !

That doesn?t mean they can?t exist... They just have to leave the feathers at home !

Werner

Feb 19, 2004
Christianity is a spooky religion.
I can talk for hours about the church and gay people and do have some strong oppinions about both of them. But I just dont. The only thing I can say is that as religion and politics mix it goes wrong time after time.
Maybe after thousands of years we should have learned something?

Last edited:

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Werner said:
Christianity is a spooky religion.
I can talk for hours about the church and gay people and do have some strong oppinions about both of them. But I just dont. The only thing I can say is that as religion and politics mix it goes wrong time after time.
Maybe after thousands of years we should have learned something?

yeah dont let your sons be altar boys.

Werner

Feb 19, 2004
I dont have sons but the last thing in the world they would become is altar boys! ;)

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Being, like you NALs, a somewhat loose affiliate of the Catholic church, I still have a strong religious streak, albeit somewhat eclectic, and I can sympathize with your admonition to respect the Cardinal, but you have to admit it is rather hard to do so when he himself is so rigid. While the Church certainly dictates these ideas, there is room within every institution for interpretation, and there are many many priests who do not fall in line with this doctrine (and i am not referring to the pederasts). My feeling is that the essence of Christianity is found in JC's emphasis on forgiveness and tolerance. While God, or the gods, may be implacable, it is not for humans to arrogate to themselves the power of peremptory judgment. When the Greeks wrote "know thyself" on the lintel of the temple, they meant "know your place in the scheme of things and dont cross the line." Greek literature is full of such admonitions and so is the Bible (Genesis is basically a series of stories that have the same theme: man's presumption and the dire consequences). The cardinal in my view is a poor exemplar of Christianity's fundamental values.

btw NALS, as always thanks for filling us in on the historical context:

"Another thing for people to keep in mind is that Santo Domingo was supposed to be the epicenter of the ecclasiastical expansion into the Western Hemisphere. Take a look at most of the historic structures, they most prominent are mostly religious in nature. The colonial zone was supposed to become and to a certain extent it kind of did, a new world version of the Vatican. It's understandable why the Cardinal would ask for gays to be expelled from a neighborhood that probably has more religious oriented buildings in its highest concentration in the entire country."

This does help to explain why the Cardinal should focus on the Colonial city, and it also reminds me, personally, why I love the city so much. The architecture and city planning are marvels and there is good reason why it forms part of the Patrimony of Humanity. It is nonpareil.

JimB, while I agree with you that censorship is bad, one must bear in mind that not all speakers are equal or speak with equal power. The cardinal speaks from a podium that lends incredible weight to his words, and the man in the street who speaks out against him doesnt have that power (though of course, gays here could organize, as they did in San Fran, New York, etc, and create that power for themselves). I feel that people in power have to be more careful about their speech, not that they should censor themselves, but they should weigh their words carefully.

And I still say the real "lacras" here in the city are the ladrones. I see an incident every day now. Round them up and the tourists will thank you.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Anyone that hates should be condemned!

Ken said:
I'm with NALS on this Don Juan. You are way off base. You have your opinion and the right to express it; so does the Cardinal. The way you express yourself is exactly what you are criticizing the Cardinal for.

And no, Mr. ken, You're wrong in this analogy. The Cardinal does come down hard on a LARGE group of people. I, on the other hand, criticize an individual. This man has no respect for the gay community that regardless of his or your approval, as long as we deem ourselves to be a democratic society, has a right to to exist.
The greatest danger to a peaceful and prosperous nation, are people that spew vile in the guise of piety. Religious fanatics are, for the most part, responsible for the most outrageous crimes ever perpetrated against humanity. If you feel he (the cardinal) deserves respect and adherence, then You're playing into the same belief of the people that follow the ayatollahs in Iran. This man can still be ass, his importance in church not withstanding.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Macocael, you speak with much wisdom. I know you'll agree that in the absence of malice, abuse, coercion, and deceit, what takes place between consenting adults is not the Church's, the state's nor anyone else's business.
A society functions best when it's free of dictators. The Church's penchant to meddle in one's affairs is what gives rise to, rather than solve, many a social problem. Religion and fools like this cardinal, given a free hand, can easily divert us from the freedom of secularism to the despotism of the hypocritical moral police, IE, the church..... Look within before pointing fingers.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
You CANNOT be serious...

Another thing for people to keep in mind is that Santo Domingo was supposed to be the epicenter of the ecclasiastical expansion into the Western Hemisphere. Take a look at most of the historic structures, they most prominent are mostly religious in nature. The colonial zone was supposed to become and to a certain extent it kind of did, a new world version of the Vatican. It's understandable why the Cardinal would ask for gays to be expelled from a neighborhood that probably has more religious oriented buildings in its highest concentration in the entire country.
-NALs[/QUOTE]

Santo Domingo-a new world version of the Vatican built with the blood of the Tainos and slaves from West Africa.
And the Catholic church is one of the biggest enablers of pedophile priests. Nice to be a follower of a religion that loves God but hates people.

blastdiaz

Aug 15, 2005
Lack of identity

Don Juan,

You obviously have an ax to grind with the man, you have a right to express your opinion as well as he does. The difference now to the past is that the church is not burning those considered moral freaks of society but you in the opposite are asking for the hanging of the man, just because he expresses himself?

Me personally do not have a problem with gays or lesbians as long as they behave like normal people and dont over express their affection like is anybody's business. The other if you can call it a problem to me is the fact that these people may be allowed to adopt kids hence teaching the young that it is a normal behaviour.

Be happy

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Don Juan-Yet another case of

how powerful your fingers are on the keyboard!Would you act like this is public away from the anonymity of those magical keys and power you hold in your hands? I should hope not--and BTW you are a disgrace to ANY agenda you are promoting.
Try getting some class into your act.

Go ahead--attack--won't do you any good--you already showed your colors.

JOHN

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Berzin said:
Santo Domingo-a new world version of the Vatican built with the blood of the Tainos and slaves from West Africa.
And the Catholic church is one of the biggest enablers of pedophile priests. Nice to be a follower of a religion that loves God but hates people.
We can also say the same thing of more than a few governments that will seem like hypocrites if we were to compare their modern emphasis on freedom and democracy while their past is filled with intolerance and injustices.

But, that does not makes those governments unworthy of praise.

Inconsistency are part of being human and, as far as I am concern, every organization in the world is filled and were created by human, so inconsistencies should be expected.

I do not want to get into a debate based on religion here, because such debates leads to nothing in addition to the fact that they are prohibited on DR1.

-NALs

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Moderator???

[QUOTE

Cardinal Rodriguez, go suck a big one![/QUOTE]

I seem to recall personal attacks such as this were to be censored. And BTW - Don Juan while you are so vocal on your agenda try and learn a little class, it might go a long way in people having respect for your agenda.And no I am not a practicing this or that...just someone who has has a liitle more respect and class than you.
JOHN

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
What next, ...lets send them to have an early visit with heaven's bouncer...

...(sorry, I stoped follow Catholism closely after the enquisition.., ..what's his name?)

...(a Dominican enquisition, Dominican styled perhaps, is that what his majesty is advocating?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.