buying a car

blondie woman

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 2, 2006
didnt know exactly where to post this question, but hope someone can answer this for me. How difficult is it to buy a car in the DR ? and what is the deal with paying so much down and having the dealer hold your car while you make payments to him. Is it also true that if you do this the mechanic at the dealers sometimes strip parts off your car and sell them and than replaces them with faulty replacement part off of non running cars, so that basically if it takes you a while to pay for your car you could end up with a real JUNK ? and if you sign a contract with a dealer can he keep all the money you have paid him if you can not finish paying for the car, and must cancel the original deal with the? or are you just penalised for cancelling the contract, say a percent or a forfiet fee ? Thanks, really need an answer on this. and also is it extremly hard to get financing thru a bank in the DR ? do dealerships often try to sell you stolen cars and do you also have to go to the police after you buy the car and pay for an inspection to find out that you infact have just purchased a stolen vehicle....I just cant believe some of the story that I have been told by someone there. BW

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There may be some very unscrupulous car dealers in this country, and, everywhere else in the world.
The secret is to deal with a trustworthy dealer.
Depending on the area you are in, you can get some good solid advice from DR1 members, as to who to deal with.
Then, depending on what your scenario is, pertaining to financing, we could better answer your questions.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Need Car

blondie woman said:
...I just cant believe some of the story that I have been told by someone there.

You did. Others...
BTW, whom do you want to buy the car?

Dealers often offer financing if collateral is good...and hope to snatch both.
Car dealers are a certain group - worldwide.
Their headquarters seems to be in DR.

m'frog

Last edited:

blondie woman

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 2, 2006
thanks.. here is more info

the dealer the person who I was talking to is in Santo Domingo. They work at a resort, and were despirate to own a car. Do the dealers offer in house financing such as I mentioned in my previous post ? seems you could take your car with you as long as you signed a contract. I'm so confussed and dont know what to believe. want to help out my friend with some advise before they lose all their money, but they dont want to listen, or just trying to take me for a ride. cant help them without having an outside better picture of how all this works. Thanks

blondie woman

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 2, 2006
mountainfrog said:
You did. Others...
BTW, whom do you want to buy the car?

Dealers often offer financing if collateral is good...and hope to snatch both.
Car dealers are a certain group - worldwide.
Their headquarters seems to be in DR.

m'frog
am I reading between the lines correctly ? if not, could you explain ?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
OK.
Now that it's out that someone may be trying to take you for a ride, then this thread takes on a whole other aspect, that I will let other DR1ers handle.
It's not my speciality.
Back to the car.
If you were to buy a car from a dealer and finance it with them, and simply missed 3 payments without trying to work something out with them, they could find the vehicle and legally repossess it without any refund whatsoever.
This may even be acceptable and legal elsewhere in the world, as well.
If I were in a bad financial position and could no longer afford the car that I had payments on, I would either refinance or sell the car, but someone who just tries to hide and not pay, deserves to lose his investment, IMHO.