Las Terrenas, churches, faith, religion or missionaries

Mar 27, 2006
I'll be travelling to Las Terrenas in the near future and I was wondering if there was a place of worship in the town anywhere. Is religion big or non-existent in the area? Are there any evangelicals or folks doing any missionary work there?

G

gary short

Folks doing missionary work! I think you've confused Las Terrenas with Sosua.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
There are more Evangelical Churches than mosquitoes in Las Terrenas, so it will be easy to shop around and find one that you like...
Religion is very BIG (among Dominicans and Haitians... not among Gringos...), and right now there?s a Jehovah?Witness missionary squad from Spain operating in the barios...

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
. . . and there seems to me to be many more (protestant) evangelical churches in the Samana Peninsula than Roman Catholic. Is that a valid impression?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Much more prostestants that are "active".... Catholics are just there by tradition...
Plus, Samana used to be populated with ex-slaves from the USA, who came with their faith....

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Much more prostestants that are "active".... Catholics are just there by tradition...
Hmmmm. That fits and explains . . . I also recall one local (Catholic) in Samana saying a couple of years ago that Catholics have better parties than Protestants. Less inhibited I suppose.